Students Rioting in London.
28-01-2011, 17:38
|
#1306
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque
If it gets out of hand as it no doubt will lets hope the Police go in hard and fast and remove the instigators quickly.
|
I've got a banner which reads "Masque made me do it." Lets hope the media are out in force this time as they were before. 
---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
They should be able to use these if it gets out of hand and public property is being damaged
|
You'll think I'm kidding, but I've got 3 bottles of shampoo I'm bringing just in case the watercannon comes out.
|
|
|
28-01-2011, 17:40
|
#1307
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
They should be able to use these if it gets out of hand and public property is being damaged
|
They should also use these, picture taken from HERE so more than possible.
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
|
|
|
28-01-2011, 17:41
|
#1308
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,103
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle
I've got a banner which reads "Masque made me do it." Lets hope the media are out in force this time as they were before. 
---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------
You'll think I'm kidding, but I've got 3 bottles of shampoo I'm bringing just in case the watercannon comes out.
|

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque
They should also use these, picture taken from HERE so more than possible.

|
Used an older version of one of them in anger
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
28-01-2011, 17:43
|
#1309
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle
You'll think I'm kidding, but I've got 3 bottles of shampoo I'm bringing just in case the watercannon comes out.
|
Take some Bubble bath for the great unwashed.
|
|
|
28-01-2011, 18:02
|
#1310
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque
Take some Bubble bath for the great unwashed. 
|
I'll be bringing enough to go 'round. 
Technically its showergel, should be good for a bubble or two..
---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------
I'm hoping it all goes peacefully tomorrow, as of yet I've no idea of the numbers that'll be turning out. There's a parallel demo in Manchester as well, which may affect the London turn out, we'll see. There seems to be some animosity between the anticuts organisers (who've organised this demo) and the NUS. Its just the beginning of a long list of demos planned for this year.
Anyway, I'll try and get some pictures and post them here.
---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque
They should also use these, picture taken from HERE so more than possible.
|
Do they accept paypal?
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 13:08
|
#1311
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glasgow
Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Posts: 9,158
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
And now it's all kicked off in Manchester where the NUS protest got violent after the forces of state oppression stopped Student Gwant from going off the agreed route according to Sky News.
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 13:19
|
#1312
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,103
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
And now it's all kicked off in Manchester where the NUS protest got violent after the forces of state oppression stopped Student Gwant from going off the agreed route according to Sky News.
|
Break out the rubber bullets
According to the news there is a splinter group of hooligans trying to get into the city centre, You can expect that group to try smashing up building and looting shops in the city centre just like they did in London.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 14:20
|
#1313
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glasgow
Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Posts: 9,158
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Live on Sky News now. According to the reporter it's mostly students and only now does the Police seem to be getting the numbers into the area to stop the protestors.
Of course now they'll be moaning and bitching about kettling...
---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------
Hmmm, once they got their finger out the cordons that went on were very effective. Of course that's just one group, there are seemingly others still roaming the city centre.
I imagine some high ranking Police officers are desperately looking for scapegoats for why it got so out of hand so easily.
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 15:13
|
#1314
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle
I've got a banner which reads "Masque made me do it." Lets hope the media are out in force this time as they were before.
---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------
You'll think I'm kidding, but I've got 3 bottles of shampoo I'm bringing just in case the watercannon comes out.
|
Let's hope that any stray EDL supporters aren't about when you display that, in case they misread/misunderstand "Masque"........
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 17:08
|
#1316
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
I'm just back in the door. Will post pics later.
London went smooth without a hitch, very peaceful throughout.
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 17:20
|
#1317
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,103
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle
I'm just back in the door. Will post pics later.
London went smooth without a hitch, very peaceful throughout.
|
Glad to hear it, So all the hooligans attended the Manchester one then.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 17:39
|
#1318
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Yes the violence was limited to the Manchester demo.
Todays demo in London was a nice day out and I'm very glad I went.
Must have walked several miles in all, rather sore on the feet.
Here's a few videos I took on my blackberry...
Some people were certainly having a good time:
A rather carnival atmosphere:
At one point later in the demo, some flares were lit, but no violence. The crowd stopped for a minute or two, then continued walking the agreed route.
I notice the BBC used the image of this event for their story caption...tut tut.
No other flares or fireworks were lit that I saw.
On a side note, it was nice to get talking with the police on several occasions, very good spirited chaps.
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 17:46
|
#1319
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Glad it all went well.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
29-01-2011, 18:08
|
#1320
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Yea, me too Hugh
I was quite surprised at the support from the public, people were leaning out of windows and waving and cheering everybody on.
Firetrucks, trucks, buses and cars were almost constantly sounding their horns in support. Members of the public were giving us the thumbs up, cars were going past reaching out their hands giving "past 5's" to everyone within reach.
The taxi drivers mind you were having none of it, a couple that I saw were quite rude and nearly ran over a couple protesters.
I can understand their inconvenience mind you. Overall we seemed to get a heros welcome from most people watching the demonstration, a rather pleasant surprise.
Police taking no chances in front of Parliament
Flares lit
Hoodies
Now it wouldn't be fair to say everyone was looking for a peaceful day out, I'd say that about one in a hundred had their faces covered, kept in groups and were clearly up for a ruck should the opportunity present itself.
I was quite shocked when a young hoodie, probably around 14, flicked his cigarette onto the windscreen of a top of the range Audi whilst it was sat in traffic. The passenger, looking a bit like a "shocked Camilla", was clearly not impressed. I couldn't find the cig butt or I would've removed it.
In my view, the "trick" is to keep the protest moving, having it strung out over miles. When the crowd bunches up, is when the hard core elements can start to cause trouble. No kettles happened during this demo, but if it had, I dare say they may well have been some trouble.
At Millibank, the protest group split up, some of us stayed with and continued on the agreed route, but the rest went to pay the Egyptian embassy a visit - later ending up at Westminster. We ended up in China town and by that time there were only a few hundred left and shortly after we made our own way back to Malet street.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:05.
|