Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wrt54g Firmware version 2.02.7

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wrt54g Firmware version 2.02.7

Old 07-10-2006, 14:37   #1
NEONKNIGHT

Question wrt54g Firmware version 2.02.7

Can anyone help please. I have the linksys WRT54G broadband router and I'm having problems with the NAT on my xbox360 wireless set up. The NAT changes by itself from a Moderate setting to Strict - this is causing me problems when trying to connect to other peoples games on xbox live. Looking at the xbox support site they recommend the firmware version as 2.02.7.tgz I'm downloading this now, it weighs in at 147MB which seems strange as its supposed to be a zipped file?? To cut to the chase, will this help with the NAT settings (I believe the setting should be set to Open for the best possible connection) or is something else causing this? I've posted on the xbox forum but I'm getting no help/messages from there and hoping the network forum can advise. Cheers.
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2006, 15:01   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: wrt54g Firmware version 2.02.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT View Post
Can anyone help please. I have the linksys WRT54G broadband router and I'm having problems with the NAT on my xbox360 wireless set up. The NAT changes by itself from a Moderate setting to Strict - this is causing me problems when trying to connect to other peoples games on xbox live. Looking at the xbox support site they recommend the firmware version as 2.02.7.tgz I'm downloading this now, it weighs in at 147MB which seems strange as its supposed to be a zipped file?? To cut to the chase, will this help with the NAT settings (I believe the setting should be set to Open for the best possible connection) or is something else causing this? I've posted on the xbox forum but I'm getting no help/messages from there and hoping the network forum can advise. Cheers.
All the firmware here seems large so i'd just go ahead and install it.
Old 07-10-2006, 15:37   #3
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
You're downloading the source code...

Don't know what version you've got, but the firmware for v6 is only 1.48Mb...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 15:41   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
All the firmware here seems large so i'd just go ahead and install it.
That is the source code. The maximum amount of flash memory on the Linksys routers is around 15-20 meg, so a 147 meg firmware just wouldn't fit.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 15:46   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
That is the source code. The maximum amount of flash memory on the Linksys routers is around 15-20 meg, so a 147 meg firmware just wouldn't fit.
Yes was aware of this after i posted. On the WRT54G the flash memory is only 2-4meg.
Old 07-10-2006, 20:11   #6
NEONKNIGHT

Thumbs up Re: wrt54g Firmware version 2.02.7

Thanks for the replys. Thought it was way to large for what i need. Not sure where to look now for the version that Microsoft say is needed Cheers anyway for your help.
Old 07-10-2006, 20:16   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

What version is your router?

Go here & select the version of your router...

Think this will only give you the latest firmware version though.
Old 07-10-2006, 20:42   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

You can find out what version of WRT54G you have by looking at your s/n prefix and going here.
Old 08-10-2006, 19:35   #9
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
What version is your router?

Go here & select the version of your router...

Think this will only give you the latest firmware version though.
The firmware version on my router is showing as v4.00.7
Old 08-10-2006, 20:13   #10
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

As Druchii says, go here & check the first four characters of your router's serial number against the first table.

That'll tell you which version to choose for the latest firmware on the Linksys site here...

Can you provide a link to where Xbox support are suggesting a firmware version?
Old 08-10-2006, 20:51   #11
NEONKNIGHT

Arrow Re: wrt54g Firmware version 2.02.7

Quote:
As Druchii says, go here & check the first four characters of your router's serial number against the first table.

That'll tell you which version to choose for the latest firmware on the Linksys site here...

The first four characters are CDF3 on the serial number so that makes it version number 1.1

The link for the supported firmware on xbox support here: -http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/xb...aq/routers.htm

If you look down the table it shows the WRT54G and says version 2.02.7 but this is for the source code???
Old 08-10-2006, 20:53   #12
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:

SnoopZ actually

Although i have said ot before in a few posts
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 21:04   #13
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

What version is your firmware at the moment? Of it's any less than the latest (4.20.8) then download it...

The Xbox link was probably suggesting a firmware for another version...

Just try getting the latest version for your router & see if that helps...

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
SnoopZ actually

Although i have said ot before in a few posts
Ooops, SnoopZ...
Old 08-10-2006, 21:05   #14
NEONKNIGHT

Quote:
What version is your firmware at the moment? Of it's any less than the latest (4.20.8) then download it...

The Xbox link was probably suggesting a firmware for another version...

Just try getting the latest version for your router & see if that helps...
Cheers. Seeing as I now know what version the router is, I'll check for a new firmware version if available from the linksys site. Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-10-2006, 21:14   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Cheers. Seeing as I now know what version the router is, I'll check for a new firmware version if available from the linksys site. Thanks again for your help.

Latest for your model is 4.20.8 and this is for the UK market not US.

I found this piece of info which may help you.

Quote:
Just a quick note that may help you and others in the future... I have the Linksys WRT54G (Ver 2) and I read on the XBox forum that if you upgrade the firmware to the latest vertion (4.20.7 - I had to download this from the US site and my router vertion was not listed on the UK) and enable UPnP (Unliversal Plug and Play) that would be I needed to do...

And it was . The 360 pulled an IP added and the rest of the Info first connection and the NAT has been open since and I've had no problems with live at all!

I thought I'd share that as I honestly didn't expect UPnP to work and it did!