Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 18:00   #6841
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Yeah, we have lots of vaccines on order and it looks like us old codgers might be getting a Pfizer or Moderna jab if we had AZ in the past (linky)

That's going to limit doses for the kids by the look of it as they can't have the AZ jab
Dare I say if such an incoherent decision was made by regulators outside the umbrella of British Exceptionalism some on the forum would be crying foul.

If you are 16, a few months older than a 15 year old who can “safely” go into school and mix with hundreds of households in the same GCSE courses, maskless, without distancing, why would you bother?

Last edited by jfman; 04-08-2021 at 18:04.
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2021, 18:48   #6842
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Another probable avoidable death

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-dies-of-covid

Quote:
A fit and healthy 42-year-old who loved climbing mountains and lifting weights has died of Covid after refusing to get the vaccine, leaving his twin sister and mother heartbroken and warning others not to think they are invulnerable to the dangers of the virus.
Quote:
“He thought if he contracted Covid-19 he would be OK. He thought he would have a mild illness. He didn’t want to put a vaccine on his body. His was pumped full of every drug in the hospital. They threw everything at him,” McCann said on Twitter.
Old 04-08-2021, 18:59   #6843
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Jenny McCann said...
Quote:
"My 42yr old twin brother died in ITU of COVID-19 last week. John, from Southport on Merseyside, didn't want to have a jab she said as he thought he would only have a mild illness if he was to contract the virus.

"He died exactly 4 weeks after testing positive. He was the fittest, healthiest person I know. He was climbing Welsh mountains and wild camping 4 weeks before his death.

"The only pre-existing health condition he had was the belief in his own immortality.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...K3nY0tRHPIXNbM

I see that Ben has also given a link to this sad death. I make no apologies for duplicating the content of his post.

I know that some on here will say that it was his choice but the people left having to cope with his death are his family and his 19 year old daughter. For those who say "Like I say, heard it all before, don't care." then maybe you feel the same way as this guy. I just don't think he would agree with your sentiments if he had been able to see the consequences of his choices.
Old 04-08-2021, 19:20   #6844
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Dare I say if such an incoherent decision was made by regulators outside the umbrella of British Exceptionalism some on the forum would be crying foul.

If you are 16, a few months older than a 15 year old who can “safely” go into school and mix with hundreds of households in the same GCSE courses, maskless, without distancing, why would you bother?
You wouldn’t
Old 04-08-2021, 21:51   #6845
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
As an aside, I went to the circus the other day, it was brilliant and at the begining the announcer stated that all guests should wear a mask throughout the performance. I saw about 7 people out of a crowd of approx 2,000.

No one cares anymore, well not in Halifax anyway.
How was the vaccine clinic doing?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-58039581
Old 04-08-2021, 23:01   #6846
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
How was the vaccine clinic doing?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-58039581
I did actually see 1 no. Person go in.

So a 0.05% uptake. Get n.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:25   #6847
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I did actually see 1 no. Person go in.

So a 0.05% uptake. Get n.
I’m quite sure that’s not how they measure uptake. Unless you watched it the entire time plus did an extensive survey to find out how many there were actually eligible to be vaccinated there and then.

More good news for Old Boy as the City of London remains “fairly empty”, with offices falling in value. This personal responsibility stuff is fantastic.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...trictions-lift

Last edited by jfman; 05-08-2021 at 04:52.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:24   #6848
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
But can still infect those who have not been vaccinated, which is not something the covidfans/virus-supporters like to acknowledge...
No in fact VAXED can spread it more which they dont like admitting either......
Old 05-08-2021, 09:45   #6849
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Old 05-08-2021, 10:10   #6850
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

My guess (and it is just a guess) is that things might be tweaked so years 11 (15-16) and 12 (16-17) will be vaccinated as a whole rather than doing things by age. It would make a hell of a lot more sense.

I have already been winding up my needle-phobic 15 year old that she is getting a vaccination for her birthday. She is not happy but my 13 year old is laughing like a drain!

(she knows that she should get the jab and her options are very limited in our house about vaccines with two scientist parents)
Old 05-08-2021, 10:46   #6851
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
My guess (and it is just a guess) is that things might be tweaked so years 11 (15-16) and 12 (16-17) will be vaccinated as a whole rather than doing things by age. It would make a hell of a lot more sense.

I have already been winding up my needle-phobic 15 year old that she is getting a vaccination for her birthday. She is not happy but my 13 year old is laughing like a drain!

(she knows that she should get the jab and her options are very limited in our house about vaccines with two scientist parents)
I suspect once adequate supplies of Pfizer are sourced to booster JCVI groups 1-9 and 12-15 year olds suddenly the advice will change. Entertainingly the current advice is for a single dose of Pfizer for 16 and 17 year olds - nothing about timing of (or even if there will be!) second doses. But it’s definitely definitely not a supply issue.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:59   #6852
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Bullshoot - please cite scientific evidence.

(OANN, Fox News, Qanon doesn’t count)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:49   #6853
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Bullshoot - please cite scientific evidence.

(OANN, Fox News, Qanon doesn’t count)

Guess it's based on behaviour rather than virus science. Vax'd will maybe move around more, not wear masks as much, take more "risk". Also if Vax'd have less symptoms even when infected or symptoms are slower to onset then they could spread more.

All part of the fun of epidemiology. Just bubbling under the surface is a rise in deaths from possibly the biggest "killer" in history - malaria (https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4711). On an epidemiology course I attended years ago it was estimate that half of the people through history likely to have died from malaria. The numbers have decreased regularly for the past couple of decades but are rising again now - still it doesn't really impact us in the UK so why worry? </sarcasm>
Old 05-08-2021, 12:51   #6854
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
All part of the fun of epidemiology. Just bubbling under the surface is a rise in deaths from possibly the biggest "killer" in history - malaria (https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4711). On an epidemiology course I attended years ago it was estimate that half of the people through history likely to have died from malaria. The numbers have decreased regularly for the past couple of decades but are rising again now - still it doesn't really impact us in the UK so why worry? </sarcasm>
Good news is there are malaria vaccines on their way - and the Covid work has helped in part with that

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ive-ever-made/

https://news.sky.com/story/biontech-...ccine-12364977
Old 05-08-2021, 12:56   #6855
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Good news is there are malaria vaccines on their way - and the Covid work has helped in part with that

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ive-ever-made/

https://news.sky.com/story/biontech-...ccine-12364977
Yes it is good news and wasn't there something about "vaccinating" the mozzie too that looked promising. Malaria is a parasite on the mozzie as part of it's cycle.
But if a vaccine is made, will it get to the people who need it? Poverty, politics, and so on all stand in the way.