Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:35   #2791
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

SARS was (is) a nasty virus - if you caught it - yet even though it has an F0 factor equivalent to Covid 19 it didn't appear to spread and infect the (UK) population in the devastating way this one is.

Maybe the COVID 19 virus has better longevity on touched surfaces and airborne?
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2020, 13:28   #2792
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Don't be ridiculous, jfman! Stop making things up. When did I say the coronavirus 'doesn't exist'? And yes, coronavirus is a type of flu, as was SARS. I'm not saying it is not serious either - what I have pointed out is that flu takes a great many lives each year as well and we seem not to panic about it, because we are used to that happening on a regular basis.

Yes, you are correct to say that there has been a large civil service resource being thrown into the coronavirus emergency, but there has also been a dedicated team set up just to deal with the trade deal with the EU. That being the case, and the fact that discussions are taking place by video instead of face to face in Brussels, there is no reason to delay the deadline for these talks.

Having said that, if Boris doesn't improve soon, that could indeed prompt a delay to the deadline.
I don’t see why Boris needs to be well, cant Raab, Gove or someone else do it? After all, if we don’t need an army of civil servants to support the negotiations why do we need Johnson. They either want a deal, or they don’t? It’s literally that simple, is it not?

You are also ignoring that civil servants don’t just support the negotiations. Government departments need to know what their own areas will look like with, and without, a trade deal. Agriculture, fisheries being two significant ones. HMRC and their customs/tariff arrangements and the Home Office with border enforcement.

As always you are grossly underestimating the task and the fact you seem to base it on whether Government can function on whether Boris is healthy (or not) simply reinforces your ignorance on such matters.
Old 08-04-2020, 13:42   #2793
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don’t see why Boris needs to be well, cant Raab, Gove or someone else do it? After all, if we don’t need an army of civil servants to support the negotiations why do we need Johnson. They either want a deal, or they don’t? It’s literally that simple, is it not?

<SNIP>
Sarcasm or coming round to my way of thinking, jfman?
You've got my mantra spot on.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 08-04-2020, 15:09   #2794
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

You are also ignoring that civil servants don’t just support the negotiations. Government departments need to know what their own areas will look like with, and without, a trade deal. Agriculture, fisheries being two significant ones. HMRC and their customs/tariff arrangements and the Home Office with border enforcement.

As always you are grossly underestimating the task and the fact you seem to base it on whether Government can function on whether Boris is healthy (or not) simply reinforces your ignorance on such matters.
Well, you clearly have this mindset that every problem is insurmountable and nothing can be done to achieve what is wanted. You carried on like that throughout the Brexit process, but hey....it all worked out and we've left. I am not underestimating anything. You are simply trying to create insurmountable problems where there are simply issues to be resolved. The fact that this is not easy does not mean they cannot be achieved, but your posts all seem to indicate that if this was up to you, you would give up even before the first hurdle.

I don't get why you think a tariff free trade deal is so impossible to achieve in a year. The negotiations are continuing, and you have not provided any information that verifies your apparent view that they are not making good progress. We meet all the specifications for products sold to the EU because we have actually been a member of the EU, so complications such as were the case in the Canada deal don't arise.

The only reason I say that the active participation of Boris is crucial is because Boris himself will want to keep the negotiations going in a particular direction. He might want to take personal charge of that. He knows how easy it is for people to want to backtrack and make unacceptable concessions to the other side, and he believes that he's the man who can hold his nerve. He's probably right about that.
Old 08-04-2020, 15:22   #2795
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Sarcasm or coming round to my way of thinking, jfman?
You've got my mantra spot on.
As it's not binary I suggest the former.
Old 08-04-2020, 15:23   #2796
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, you clearly have this mindset that every problem is insurmountable and nothing can be done to achieve what is wanted.
Absolute nonsense Old Boy.

Quote:
You carried on like that throughout the Brexit process, but hey....it all worked out and we've left.
You seem quite schizophrenic about this one. I say we've left and you are first to point out that we still follow EU rules and it's not really leaving.

Quote:
I am not underestimating anything.
Wherher you can recognise it or not is irrelevant.

Quote:
You are simply trying to create insurmountable problems where there are simply issues to be resolved. The fact that this is not easy does not mean they cannot be achieved, but your posts all seem to indicate that if this was up to you, you would give up even before the first hurdle.
Name a single thing I've named above that isn't true. Do we not need new fisheries policies, agricultural policies, border control and a position on tariffs for EU goods?

I'm not inventing these things Old Boy. It's observable reality that these things are required.

Quote:
I don't get why you think a tariff free trade deal is so impossible to achieve in a year. The negotiations are continuing, and you have not provided any information that verifies your apparent view that they are not making good progress. We meet all the specifications for products sold to the EU because we have actually been a member of the EU, so complications such as were the case in the Canada deal don't arise.

The only reason I say that the active participation of Boris is crucial is because Boris himself will want to keep the negotiations going in a particular direction. He might want to take personal charge of that. He knows how easy it is for people to want to backtrack and make unacceptable concessions to the other side, and he believes that he's the man who can hold his nerve. He's probably right about that.
You have that view because of your simplistic outlook driven solely by your ideology and a misapprehension that politics is driven by personality alone. Are Raab or Gove less committed to getting a trade deal by the end of this year? Of course not. They wouldn't be in the cabinet otherwise.

I'd be at the front of the queue happy if a deal were concluded. I think it's wholly unrealistic, and the contingency is perfectly reasonable for a short extension.

As I've said a million times you cannot even name a rule the EU intend to bring in next year.
Old 08-04-2020, 15:27   #2797
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Well, you clearly have this mindset that every problem is insurmountable and nothing can be done to achieve what is wanted. You carried on like that throughout the Brexit process, but hey....it all worked out and we've left. I am not underestimating anything. You are simply trying to create insurmountable problems where there are simply issues to be resolved. The fact that this is not easy does not mean they cannot be achieved, but your posts all seem to indicate that if this was up to you, you would give up even before the first hurdle.

From the House of Commons Library, yesterday.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...-negotiations/
Quote:
Negotiations on the future UK-EU relationship began on 3 March. They came to an abrupt halt due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Quote:
With several EU countries already in lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak, the second round of negotiations scheduled for 18-20 March did not take place. Michel Barnier announced that week that he had tested positive for the virus. The UK’s chief negotiator David Frost also self-isolated after showing symptoms of the virus. The Prime Minister, Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital with the virus on 5 April.

There have been discussions about recommencing the talks via videoconferencing. So far, these have not been possible. The third round of talks scheduled for this week have also not taken place.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 08-04-2020, 15:36   #2798
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Absolute nonsense Old Boy.

You seem quite schizophrenic about this one. I say we've left and you are first to point out that we still follow EU rules and it's not really leaving.

Wherher you can recognise it or not is irrelevant.

Name a single thing I've named above that isn't true. Do we not need new fisheries policies, agricultural policies, border control and a position on tariffs for EU goods?

I'm not inventing these things Old Boy. It's observable reality that these things are required.

You have that view because of your simplistic outlook driven solely by your ideology and a misapprehension that politics is driven by personality alone. Are Raab or Gove less committed to getting a trade deal by the end of this year? Of course not. They wouldn't be in the cabinet otherwise.

I'd be at the front of the queue happy if a deal were concluded. I think it's wholly unrealistic, and the contingency is perfectly reasonable for a short extension.

As I've said a million times you cannot even name a rule the EU intend to bring in next year.
Of course we've left the EU. We are in a withdrawal period whereby we continue to be subject to EU rules and the ECJ. Why did you think that was an issue for me? This is a transition period so that we can prepare ourselves properly for the break at the end of the year.

You say we need to have fisheries policies in place. They are our damned fish, actually, we don't need to agree them with the EU! All these policies are likely to have been drafted some time ago. It may be that we will make some changes during the course of these negotiations, but the government knows what it wants to achieve.

As far as tariffs for goods is concerned, we want no tariffs, and nor does the EU. And if the EU applies them to our exports to them, we will apply them to their exports to us. Guess who would lose more?

The thing is, this has been said before. What is it you don't get? Or are you arguing for the sake of it? I know, I must perish the thought...
Old 08-04-2020, 15:37   #2799
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Then again .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52208127

Brexit trade talks continuing in ‘difficult times’

Post-Brexit trade talks are continuing with the EU “in these difficult times”, according to the UK’s chief negotiator. David Frost said he and his EU counterpart, Michel Barnier, would decide a timetable for further discussions in April and May.

Things change quickly!
Old 08-04-2020, 15:55   #2800
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Of course we've left the EU. We are in a withdrawal period whereby we continue to be subject to EU rules and the ECJ. Why did you think that was an issue for me? This is a transition period so that we can prepare ourselves properly for the break at the end of the year.

You say we need to have fisheries policies in place. They are our damned fish, actually, we don't need to agree them with the EU! All these policies are likely to have been drafted some time ago. It may be that we will make some changes during the course of these negotiations, but the government knows what it wants to achieve.
You've just claimed a policy for fisheries would be established ages ago. Absolutely baseless claim.

You correctly point out they are our fish, however I'm sure we'd all agree that unregulated fishing is a bad idea. So we need two policies - one for if fishing is in a trade deal and one for if it's not. This is nexessary firstly for population levels in our waters and two my favourite subject - economics - some kind of control has to make sure this develops sustainable fisheries communities and preferably profitable exports.

Quote:
As far as tariffs for goods is concerned, we want no tariffs, and nor does the EU. And if the EU applies them to our exports to them, we will apply them to their exports to us. Guess who would lose more?
You hypothesise who would lose more but either way that's time and effort implementing policy outcomes that are unclear as we sit today. Plus we need the "no deal" one being planned for in th background.

Quote:
The thing is, this has been said before. What is it you don't get? Or are you arguing for the sake of it? I know, I must perish the thought...
My real issue is I have an intolerance of absolutely baseless information and opinion presented as fact on an internet forum.
Old 08-04-2020, 15:58   #2801
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
Then again .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52208127

Brexit trade talks continuing in ‘difficult times’

Post-Brexit trade talks are continuing with the EU “in these difficult times”, according to the UK’s chief negotiator. David Frost said he and his EU counterpart, Michel Barnier, would decide a timetable for further discussions in April and May.

Things change quickly!
Or have they?

From the same story, but in the Express
Quote:
Last week officials held daily phone calls as the EU and UK teams continued to clarify their counterparts positions, in areas such as fishing, mobility, trade and justice and home affairs.

Both teams are analysing draft free-trade agreements tabled almost three weeks ago, but there has been little sign of an immediate breakthrough.

A UK Government spokesman said: “David Frost and the EU’s deputy head of the task force, Clara Martinez Alberola, and their teams spoke by video conference to take stock of those discussions and to consider the next steps...

...A European Commission spokesman said: “Michel Barnier will speak with David Frost next week to agree a calendar for the next steps in order to move the negotiations forward, taking into account the coronavirus outbreak.”

Officials from both sides have so far failed to agree on a format for remote negotiations, with video conferencing still a favoured option, to be carried out successfully.
How can they be carrying out negotiations, when they haven't agreed a format to have the negotiations?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 08-04-2020, 16:01   #2802
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Or have they?

From the same story, but in the Express How can they be carrying out negotiations, when they haven't agreed a format to have the negotiations?
I think everybody has got better things to concentrate on the moment. Little things, like staying alive.
Old 08-04-2020, 16:09   #2803
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Or have they?

From the same story, but in the Express How can they be carrying out negotiations, when they haven't agreed a format to have the negotiations?
“Talks” is a great word.
Old 08-04-2020, 16:31   #2804
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You've just claimed a policy for fisheries would be established ages ago. Absolutely baseless claim.

You correctly point out they are our fish, however I'm sure we'd all agree that unregulated fishing is a bad idea. So we need two policies - one for if fishing is in a trade deal and one for if it's not. This is nexessary firstly for population levels in our waters and two my favourite subject - economics - some kind of control has to make sure this develops sustainable fisheries communities and preferably profitable exports.

You hypothesise who would lose more but either way that's time and effort implementing policy outcomes that are unclear as we sit today. Plus we need the "no deal" one being planned for in th background.

My real issue is I have an intolerance of absolutely baseless information and opinion presented as fact on an internet forum.
Well stop keep making it up then, jfman! Job done.

The Fisheries Bill has already passed Parliament, the rest will be in the government's proposals that are part of these negotiations. The government knows exactly what it wants and the degree to which it is prepared to compromise. In the end, it's all about quotas, and given we are on the front foot on this one, why is this so complicated to your mind? Who said we would agree to unregulated fishing?

Do you take weeks to weigh up whether it's safe to cross the road? Of course not, so let's get real about the likelihood of getting decisions made on these matters in a straight forward and efficient manner.

It may be true to say that the last three meetings have not taken place, but papers are being passed back and forth, which may be sufficient for now, until a meeting is required to thrash out any sticking points.

The reason it was important for me to point out who would lose more if tariffs were applied was to remove the lead curtain from your eyes that prevents you from seeing that the EU does indeed want a trade deal with no tariffs as it is in their best interests.. It annoys them to death that they cannot hold us over a barrel on other matters given that we just want a straight forward deal.

Sometimes I think you can't see the wood for the trees, jfman.
Old 08-04-2020, 16:32   #2805
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Well, 53% of our imports will suddenly become more expensive as they come from the EU while 3-4% of the EUs imports will become more expensive as they come from the UK.

Of course the money goes in to the respective government pockets but it's the importing customer who eventually pays
Closed Thread