Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 12:08   #2776
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

I'm reading lots of sources that suggest Johnson will propose an extension period at the height of the crisis. It's neatly summarised by one business leader who asked the the Daily Telegraph’s Europe Editor, Peter Foster “am I supposed to be making ventilators or hiring customs agents?”

Here's one of those many sources suggesting an extension is on the books.
https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status...49409439436808

Will Johnson re-emerge from his CV-19 isolation to be a succesful leader of a nation in crisis and able to stand upto the likes of David Davis and Dominic Raab? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I see three likely choices and rate them:
No extension (10% chance)
1-year extension (50% channce)
2-year extension (40% chance)
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2020, 12:13   #2777
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
<SNIP>

Will Johnson re-emerge from his CV-19 isolation to be a succesful leader of a nation in crisis and able to stand upto the likes of David Davis and Dominic Raab? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
... and Seph!

My advice is at your risk.
Old 07-04-2020, 14:31   #2778
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
... and Seph!
Realistically, Johnson's illness and likely recuperation period makes an extension inevitable.
Old 07-04-2020, 14:39   #2779
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Realistically, Johnson's illness and likely recuperation period makes an extension inevitable.
Boris has people who can continue negotiations according to his brief while he is out of action.

Don't get your hopes up.
Old 07-04-2020, 15:32   #2780
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Boris has people who can continue negotiations according to his brief while he is out of action.

Don't get your hopes up.
Yes we've already seen the calibre of his people. Raab looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights, Gove the devil incarnate...
Old 07-04-2020, 16:35   #2781
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Yes we've already seen the calibre of his people. Raab looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights, Gove the devil incarnate...
I guess that depends on how warped your perspective on things is, Mr K. The other lot would be in total disarray if they were in charge.

The government has got a good handle on this and they are making decisions in line with medical advice. Would you have them going against that advice?

They could do, I suppose, but there would be more casualties and the NHS would break. You can't go to the other extreme and lock everyone up because first of all, the public would not accept it, but also, the virus would simply get to us all when the restrictions were lifted. If you think it's a good idea to lock everyone up for 18 months, you are part of a very small minority.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Quote:
I'm reading lots of sources that suggest Johnson will propose an extension period at the height of the crisis. It's neatly summarised by one business leader who asked the the Daily Telegraph’s Europe Editor, Peter Foster “am I supposed to be making ventilators or hiring customs agents?”

Here's one of those many sources suggesting an extension is on the books.
https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status...49409439436808

It's all speculation, though, isn't it? Certainly, Boris could turn this to his advantage and give the coronavirus as his reason to extend if he wanted to, and people by and large would accept that. But would he, though? To his mind, this is a straight forward matter and either the EU will give it to us (in line with EU interests), or they won't.

I guess we'll know soon enough, but it is important to be aware that video conferencing discussions have continued to take place with our counterparts in Brussells, so in reality, coronavirus is no real excuse for not getting on with it.
Old 07-04-2020, 17:25   #2782
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Old Boy when did you become a mind reader?

In your opinion Coronavirus, the greatest peacetime challenge since World War 2, is no excuse to not get on with... What exactly?

Where are the international trade agreements? Where's the strategy? Where's the plan? What EU laws are we going to bin? When?

Trade agreements don't take 11 years because both parties "either want one or they don't".

Also please reply without rehashing the Brexit debate all by yourself. We all want Brexit to succeed - we have left the EU and are in a timebound transition - I want you to tell me by the end of this year is better than the end of next.
Old 07-04-2020, 17:44   #2783
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Jet2 have just sent out an email to Customers who had a flight booked with them in the near future (we were booked to fly to Cyprus 10th May).

I am sure they will be calling us to get us to try and re-book, but we will just be asking for a refund.
A wise decision, you were lucky to get back home early last time. I personally wouldn't be doing any unneccesary travel at the moment (even if I wasn't being shielded).

Also, as the Government have instructed us not to undertake any unneccesary travel and they don't know when these restrictions will end, could those who travel to an airport for a holiday in June fall foul of the law if these restrictions are still in place?
Old 07-04-2020, 17:46   #2784
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy when did you become a mind reader?

In your opinion Coronavirus, the greatest peacetime challenge since World War 2, is no excuse to not get on with... What exactly?

Where are the international trade agreements? Where's the strategy? Where's the plan? What EU laws are we going to bin? When?

Trade agreements don't take 11 years because both parties "either want one or they don't".

Also please reply without rehashing the Brexit debate all by yourself. We all want Brexit to succeed - we have left the EU and are in a timebound transition - I want you to tell me by the end of this year is better than the end of next.
Getting on with the trade deal...obviously.

Boris has other dedicated negotiators and planners dealing exclusively with the EU trade negotiations. I would remind you that both the EU and Britain want a no tariff trade deal. We can meet all of the EU standards for goods we export to them, and vice versa. That is one very good reason why we don't need seven or eleven years or more to negotiate it.

I am not rehashing a Brexit debate. I'm explaining that a trade deal does not have to be postponed because of coronavirus. As usual, you are putting forward problems which either don't exist, or at least are straight forward enough for the government to overcome.
Old 07-04-2020, 18:06   #2785
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Rubbish (apart from Gove!),

Edit: .. before any one says that the Tories are rubbish - to be clear Mr. K's remark is rubbish.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 07-04-2020 at 18:33.
Old 07-04-2020, 18:07   #2786
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Getting on with the trade deal...obviously.

Boris has other dedicated negotiators and planners dealing exclusively with the EU trade negotiations. I would remind you that both the EU and Britain want a no tariff trade deal. We can meet all of the EU standards for goods we export to them, and vice versa. That is one very good reason why we don't need seven or eleven years or more to negotiate it.

I am not rehashing a Brexit debate. I'm explaining that a trade deal does not have to be postponed because of coronavirus. As usual, you are putting forward problems which either don't exist, or at least are straight forward enough for the government to overcome.
Of course it doesn't have to postpone trade negotiations - but it does have to slow them down. You completely underestimate the extent of Civil Service wide resource being thrown into Coronavirus and the number of sectors that focus is on Coronavirus only. It's a matter of life and death to tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of our citizens.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that you claim Coronavirus "doesn't exist" or is "straight forward". How many people have to die, or who has to die, before you accept this isn't "just the flu".
Old 07-04-2020, 18:36   #2787
Sephiroth
Simples

We all understand your analysis of what the Civil Service might be doing, but I share with OB the notion that we should not put EU negotiations on hold but rather we should keep pressure up. Does anyone know whether or not Barnier has been diverted to Coronavirus duties in somewhere? (Where?)? Is he just a spare prick now?

Old 07-04-2020, 18:39   #2788
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The civil service has a finite capacity and much of it has been diverted into crisis planning. To the extent that all the functions of government should continue, then obviously transition planning and negotiations should continue. But it is absurd to believe that anything in government can carry on unaffected by the present crisis.

I would much prefer the transition to end at the end of the original agreed period. But I think there is a snowball's chance in hell of that actually happening now. We are, realistically, in for a 6-9 month extension.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:23   #2789
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Of course it doesn't have to postpone trade negotiations - but it does have to slow them down. You completely underestimate the extent of Civil Service wide resource being thrown into Coronavirus and the number of sectors that focus is on Coronavirus only. It's a matter of life and death to tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of our citizens.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that you claim Coronavirus "doesn't exist" or is "straight forward". How many people have to die, or who has to die, before you accept this isn't "just the flu".
Don't be ridiculous, jfman! Stop making things up. When did I say the coronavirus 'doesn't exist'? And yes, coronavirus is a type of flu, as was SARS. I'm not saying it is not serious either - what I have pointed out is that flu takes a great many lives each year as well and we seem not to panic about it, because we are used to that happening on a regular basis.

Yes, you are correct to say that there has been a large civil service resource being thrown into the coronavirus emergency, but there has also been a dedicated team set up just to deal with the trade deal with the EU. That being the case, and the fact that discussions are taking place by video instead of face to face in Brussels, there is no reason to delay the deadline for these talks.

Having said that, if Boris doesn't improve soon, that could indeed prompt a delay to the deadline.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:20   #2790
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Flu and SARS are types of coronavirus, not the other way around, and COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus, which is the difference from flu - we have decades of dealing with flu viruses, just 3 months with this, so there is a huge difference in approach to dealing with it. We have flu inoculations, we don't have one for COVID-19 (and probably won't have for another year).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 08-04-2020 at 12:24.
Closed Thread