Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2018, 19:26   #3091
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I disagree. All the forecasts on what would follow from the Brexit vote to date have been wrong and I have no reason to believe that the current forecasts are correct either. Forecasts about the economy have left a lot to be desired as well.

I do not rationalise things the way you suggest, not by a long chalk. My view is a considered one and I will change it if circumstances start to indicate that I may have misjudged something.

I simply cannot agree that the EU is the be all and end all of everything that some make it out to be. Trade with the EU will not be markedly different after Brexit, and we will have new trade to add to it. Plus we will no longer be forking out vast sums of money for membership of the EU.

Of course, if the Government make a balls up of the negotiations I would have to reassess, but there is no sign of that happening at present, although those with their heads in the mud cannot see any way those negotiations will ever give us what we want. They will be surprised, I believe.
Jon has shown you how accurate the forecasts have actually been so I won’t duplicate his good efforts here in pointing out your confirmation bias.

How much does the economy need to suffer by for you to change your mind? Or is anything acceptable if it means we get to leave the EU. Do we actually have to suffer the loss first or will you accept the British Government’s analysis?

No one on here has said the EU is the be all and end all. People like me have said it’s imperfect but it’s the largest market in the world, it’s on our doorstep and it provides access to the largest number of free trade agreements across the globe. We’ve also pointed out that non-tariff barriers are more important than tariff barriers when it comes to trade with the EU and that services are a key export which are unlikely to be covered by a free trade deal. Both of these factors would penalise the UK even in the case of a free trade deal.

The EU negotiations haven’t been going staggeringly well by any account including the Government's. Indeed, the Foreign Secretary recently called for them to be outsourced to Donald Trump!
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2018, 19:54   #3092
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Well, I guess it depends on which forecasts you are comparing. There have been many occasions I have noted where the regional forecast has said the exact opposite of the national forecast for my area. They are both issued by the Met Office!
So provide two different forecasts and compare the reality with whichever one was correct! ��

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

You didn't say it, Andrew, but you seem to love quoting them and the economists supporting your arguments as if their forecasts prove your point.

My point is that the forecasts they make a rarely correct. This is largely down to the assumptions made, so if their assumptions are wrong, the projections will be wrong.

And let's not forget that economists and civil servants always tend to take an over-cautious stance.
Are you not just ignoring these forecasts from a wide range of sources just because they disagree with your vision of the future and for no other reason than that?

The future has not happened yet, we have not left the EU so how can you dismiss projections on what is yet to come?

Let's be honest here, you just do not like what they are saying so you rationalise them, as many do, as lies. The sad and depressing part is when this charade does play out and the UK is poorer off as a result of Brexit, there will be those who say that "I did not vote to be poorer". You may not be one of them but for many, their personal prosperity is important.

I know. "It will be fine, just have Faith" but the good ship Brexit has hit the iceberg. The lookouts did shout out "Iceberg Ahead!" but those in charge, on the bridge as it were, chose not to listen.

We've hit the iceberg but the ship seems fine. The lights are still on, the message from the bridge is that all is well and the band is playing on, where's the problem? After all, the ship is unsinkable .. I was told this when I boarded so it will be fine, honest. Don't believe the doomsayers, what do they know?
Old 19-06-2018, 00:38   #3093
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Are you not just ignoring these forecasts from a wide range of sources just because they disagree with your vision of the future and for no other reason than that?

The future has not happened yet, we have not left the EU so how can you dismiss projections on what is yet to come?
As you say, how can such analysis be dismissed when we're still in the EU?

The consensus of forecasts from forecasters who have got things right time after time is that the UK will be worse off outside the EU, in all scenarios.

However, that truth is far too inconvenient for those who prefer the comforting steer of the establishment organs the Daily Express, Daily Mail and The Sun instead of looking at the data and working out what it means.
Old 19-06-2018, 01:20   #3094
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I can see the whole Brexit tower come toppling down next year and not happen
Old 19-06-2018, 03:37   #3095
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

The consensus of forecasts from forecasters who have got things right time after time is that the UK will be worse off outside the EU, in all scenarios.

Forecasts of the Brexit vote were spot on . . . oh hang on

Our estimated probability of a Leave win is 13% and so Remain have an 87% chance of winning.

taken from here (March 2016) https://electionsetc.com/2016/03/14/...it-referendum/

Last edited by Carth; 19-06-2018 at 03:48.
Old 19-06-2018, 04:02   #3096
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

Our estimated probability of a Leave win is 13% and so Remain have an 87% chance of winning.

taken from here (March 2016) https://electionsetc.com/2016/03/14/...it-referendum/
Lol, I'm talking about those economic forecasters who have been consistently accurate, not some political forecaster who hasn't.

---------- Post added at 03:02 ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I can see the whole Brexit tower come toppling down next year and not happen
Can you expand a bit more on this? Why do you think this?
Old 19-06-2018, 09:54   #3097
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

The thing about probability is sometimes the less likely scenario is what happens.
Old 19-06-2018, 10:01   #3098
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The thing about probability is sometimes the less likely scenario is what happens.
Which can lead to over 16 million people sulking and chucking their dummies out of the pram , but their all over that now aren't they ?
Old 19-06-2018, 10:25   #3099
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

What some people seem to be forgetting is that they are referring to “parliamentary democracy” AFTER we have left the EU. The Remainers are currently abusing parliamentary democracy by trying to stymie the real piece of democracy - the Referendum.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 19-06-2018, 12:32   #3100
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
What some people seem to be forgetting is that they are referring to “parliamentary democracy” AFTER we have left the EU. The Remainers are currently abusing parliamentary democracy by trying to stymie the real piece of democracy - the Referendum.
Let me ask you this: if Parliament, the sovereign entity so much part of the Leave campaign, decides that the deal brought back from Brussels by the Executive, is not in the best interests of the country does it have the right to intervene?
Old 19-06-2018, 12:40   #3101
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Let me ask you this: if Parliament, the sovereign entity so much part of the Leave campaign, decides that the deal brought back from Brussels by the Executive, is not in the best interests of the country does it have the right to intervene?
Intervene in what way? By saying 'game over we're staying in'?
Old 19-06-2018, 16:45   #3102
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That's not how Parliamentary Democracy works....

The Referendum said we should leave, and we should all accept that - the Parliamentary Democracy bit is that it shouldn't be a deal that beggars the country, or splits up the United Kingdom; under Parliamentary Democracy, the Government of the Day answers to the House of Commons - Parliament controls the executive by passing or rejecting its Bills and by forcing Ministers of the Crown to answer for their actions.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 19-06-2018, 17:20   #3103
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Intervene in what way? By saying 'game over we're staying in'?
Intervene as in how the word is defined:

Quote:
take part in something so as to prevent or alter a result or course of events.
You elect Parliament to govern the country. You give them your authority to make decisions on your behalf. That is sort of how this stuff works. If you do not allow Parliament to validate and assess any outcome of the process the Referendum started then we do not have what the Leavers were so passionate about i.e. a sovereign Parliament able to decide and enact UK law.

Sort of ironic isn't it?
Old 19-06-2018, 17:46   #3104
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

There is something to be said for the Swiss 'direct democracy' way of doing things. Referenda can be called by the people if there's enough support to block new laws and/or change the constitution.

Four referenda a year must be exhausting though!
Old 19-06-2018, 23:17   #3105
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Lol, I'm talking about those economic forecasters who have been consistently accurate, not some political forecaster who hasn't.

---------- Post added at 03:02 ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 ----------

Can you expand a bit more on this? Why do you think this?

Don't the Gov get the last say on Brexit considering all the in fighting at the moment and facing the fact the EU is messing us about at the min we arent that long away now from actually leaving and don't appear to have got much from all the talks so far. unless there is a lot we don't know about yet that hasn't been given out to the general public
Closed Thread