21-08-2013, 10:47
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan
|
Although it's not quite the same, there are still a few dialogue boxes and screens in Windows that don't look any different in W7 than they did in Windows 95.
I would assume TiVo have devoted their development time to adding the new features, rather than tidying up the remaining SD screens. I agree that they should though.
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 11:12
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney
If the new owners have their own box and software i'd imagine tivo will be phased out once the contract ends they'll see that as a big way to save money i'd guess?
|
I suspect that is what they would like to do. But it is possible that the success VM have had with Tivo might just convince them to leave VM alone with regard the set top box they use. If Tivo hadn't been such a success, I think we'd be heading for the Horizon box for sure.
---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
Although it's not quite the same, there are still a few dialogue boxes and screens in Windows that don't look any different in W7 than they did in Windows 95.
I would assume TiVo have devoted their development time to adding the new features, rather than tidying up the remaining SD screens. I agree that they should though.
|
But the two main screens crying out to become HD on VM's Tivo; My Planned Recordings and Manage My Series Links, are available on the US Tivo on which VM's software is based. These were added several months ago in the US, so should be implemented in the next VM update. Or so I would have thought.
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 11:21
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
But the two main screens crying out to become HD on VM's Tivo; My Planned Recordings and Manage My Series Links, are available on the US Tivo on which VM's software is based. These were added several months ago in the US, so should be implemented in the next VM update. Or so I would have thought.
|
Yes, I'd expect so. But that isn't what was being referenced was it - it was the fact that even with the brand new box TiVo have just released, there are still SD screens.
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 11:26
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
Yes, I'd expect so. But that isn't what was being referenced was it - it was the fact that even with the brand new box TiVo have just released, there are still SD screens.
|
But the question asked in the article re HD screens was also answered in the same article:
Quote:
|
Denney laughs at me. "I have that conversation with the engineering team all the time," he says. "It truly is a matter of prioritization
|
My Planned Recordings and Manage My Series Links are priority screens and were done.
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 11:33
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
But the question asked in the article re HD screens was also answered in the same article:
|
The TiVo quote is referencing that TiVo obviously prioritised development of the new parts of the Roamio over the remaining SD screens in the US version.
The fact that VM haven't got the previous HD screen updates, is a separate thing and is down to the fact that the VM TiVo hasn't had a major update since TiVo did the change. I would expect them to show up as part of the next update
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 11:47
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
The fact that VM haven't got the previous HD screen updates, is a separate thing
|
I don't think anyone was confused about that.
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 11:55
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: New Tivo
Ok. I'm going to give up as I've very confused now lol
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 12:29
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hartlepool
Age: 38
Services: Sky+HD sports and movies HD, sky fibre pro, ps4 and xbox one.
Posts: 478
|
Re: New Tivo
As long as the actual picture output from the bleeding box is in hd, I won't be worrying too much.
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 13:40
|
#24
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Services: XL TV
XL Phone
XL 100MB broadband
TiVo
Cat
Posts: 2,611
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I suspect that is what they would like to do. But it is possible that the success VM have had with Tivo might just convince them to leave VM alone with regard the set top box they use. If Tivo hadn't been such a success, I think we'd be heading for the Horizon box for sure.[COLOR="Silver"]
|
agree completely with your point but you're going off the assumption that people in the board room use common sense!
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 14:04
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney
agree completely with your point but you're going off the assumption that people in the board room use common sense!
|
I'm hoping they adopt the view of, 'if it aint broke...'
---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002
As long as the actual picture output from the bleeding box is in hd, I won't be worrying too much.
|
Maybe you should have stayed with Sky; they have a box with basic functionality which still manages to do that
Ooops... I'm in trouble with the Sky guys now. Just kidding...
|
|
|
21-08-2013, 19:16
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I'm hoping they adopt the view of, 'if it aint broke...'
---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------
Maybe you should have stayed with Sky; they have a box with basic functionality which still manages to do that
Ooops... I'm in trouble with the Sky guys now. Just kidding... 
|
To be honest I can see the traditional cable/satellite boxes eventually giving way to people using numerous devices around the home , Comcast in the US are already trialling a cloud DVR with no local storage , the service will also have mobile apps that allow you to access your cloud recordings and live channels initially while in the home , these type of services can potentially work in any IP based device in the house so potentially games consoles , connected TVs and streaming devices.
In the USA TIVO already has these kind of capabilities with the TIVO Roamio , TIVO stream and TIVO Mini products likewise Sky's joint development of SAT>IP offers them the potential of similar functionality around the home.
|
|
|
22-08-2013, 08:42
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
To be honest I can see the traditional cable/satellite boxes eventually giving way to people using numerous devices around the home , Comcast in the US are already trialling a cloud DVR with no local storage , the service will also have mobile apps that allow you to access your cloud recordings and live channels initially while in the home , these type of services can potentially work in any IP based device in the house so potentially games consoles , connected TVs and streaming devices.
In the USA TIVO already has these kind of capabilities with the TIVO Roamio , TIVO stream and TIVO Mini products likewise Sky's joint development of SAT>IP offers them the potential of similar functionality around the home.
|
*cough*
http://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-m...ans-801476204/
Quote:
Neil Berkett of Virgin Media has revealed the company is planning to move part of its set-top box infrastructure into the cloud.
Virgin Media has unveiled plans to adopt cloud storage as part of its set-top box infrastructure in the future.
Neil Berkett, the cable company's chief executive, told an investor call that the user interface of its TiVo next-generation cable TV service is set to move into the cloud.
|
|
|
|
22-08-2013, 08:48
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: New Tivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
|
Wasn't I kind of suggesting that anyway ? That link has been posted on here many times. You need to get something for that cough
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:03.
|