Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router connection problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router connection problem

Old 13-07-2013, 19:13   #1
bobcf
Inactive

bobcf is an unknown quantity at this point
Router connection problem

I've recently had TiVo and a Superhub installed. I was already on Virgin broadband and have a dlink router.

The white Virgin cable goes into the back of the Superhub, and then there is an Ethernet connection into the back of the dlink.

I can see the dlink network and it says I am connected to it but when I'm on it, I can't connect to any web pages - the blue bar just hangs.

Whilst the virginmedia wireless connection (via the hub) works ok (although the latest is that it seems to be hanging with this as well) it does not seem to have as good a signal. What do I need to do to reconnect to dlink? Thanks.
bobcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2013, 19:25   #2
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of
Re: Router connection problem

If using your own router, put the SHUB in modem mode
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 20:47   #3
bobcf
Inactive

I tried turning the SH to modem mode (the button turned purple) but dlink appeared to act the same as before. I then reset the SH to return to the original position, as else I had no wifi. Is the best way to return to normal SH mode to go via the SH settings page?

When I returned to the original position (connected via virginmedia) the Internet seemed to work fine initially but then went back to hanging, as if it's somehow connecting out, but is shown as still being connected (as is dlink). Not sure if I could at least get virginmedia fully working by not having the Ethernet going into the dlink?
Old 13-07-2013, 22:12   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

The SuperHub IP changes when in modem mode. Start using 192.168.100.1 instead of 192.168.0.1 The former will work in both router and modem mode whereas the latter will only work when the SuperHub is in router mode. You can enable and disable or switch modes via the web interface using the IPs above. Theres no need for you to manually hard reset the SuperHub to get back into router mode.

If the SuperHub is doing well for your wifi needs then disconnect the D Link. If you require the D Link then reset the router by releasing any saved connection info it has saved from your previous set up. Also double check the router is set to obtain dynamic WAN. Set up from scratch if you want, use the wizard within D Links web interface accessible via 192.168.0.1 Obviously don't link the D Link to the SuperHub in router mode and access its web interface, the IPs will clash.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:57   #5
bobcf
Inactive

As the virginmedia connection does not seem to last for long, and is not showing as strong as dlink I will have another try at getting only dlink connected. Once I get into the dlink settings page is there an easy way to reset the router and release any saved connection? Before doing so should I have put the SH back into modem only mode? Is dynamic WAN an easy setting to check in dlink settings? Thanks.
Old 14-07-2013, 08:49   #6
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Silly question but .... you are remembering to power off the superhub each time you change from or to modem mode?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:55   #7
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

And another silly question, are you plugging the router into socket 1 which is the only one that works in modem mode?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 09:23   #8
bobcf
Inactive

Not silly questions at all - I'm not too up on this.

When I turned the SH to modem mode I did not also power off the SH as I thought by it changing to purple it had all worked ok, but I did subsequently turn the power off.

The Ethernet cable into the SH is in the furthest left socket - I assume that is socket 1.

Having done that I got back into dlink settings (now connected via 3G) and pressed the reboot button on left of screen. It said it would take about 30 seconds but then the pop up came to access a wireless network and first of all I pressed dlink, but it said I couldn't connect. When it popped up again I pressed cancel, and shortly after the wireless bars were showing at top of screen, but it just got to 0 seconds and hung. I did then change back to 3G but the process still didn't seem to complete. Should I get back to dlink settings again and cancel if wireless pop up comes up?

I should say that all the above has involved me trying to connect with an ipad.
Old 14-07-2013, 10:25   #9
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcf View Post
The Ethernet cable into the SH is in the furthest left socket - I assume that is socket 1.
It will be the one next where the Virgin cable screws in. I know nothing about the dlink but if you're connecting to it via an ipad you must have got in to see the screen. There will be a screen on the dlink that tells you all the info about the connection to the cable modem (superhub in this case). Here's what it looks like on a Linksys router running dd-wrt

Configuration Type

Connection Type
Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Connection Uptime
8 days, 14:56:21

IP Address
86.**.**.**

Subnet Mask

Gateway
86.**.**.1

DNS 1

DNS 2

DNS 3

Remaining Lease Time
1 day 18:35:33
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 13:42   #10
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcf View Post
As the virginmedia connection does not seem to last for long, and is not showing as strong as dlink I will have another try at getting only dlink connected. Once I get into the dlink settings page is there an easy way to reset the router and release any saved connection? Before doing so should I have put the SH back into modem only mode? Is dynamic WAN an easy setting to check in dlink settings? Thanks.
these are just example, log in to your router to make the changes...

Quote:
setup tab, internet, set up wizard, launch internet connection setup..

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/d.../110/index.htm
connection type will be asked to be set up during the steps, it'll be easy to find dynamic
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 14:03   #11
bobcf
Inactive

Thanks for the posts but it seems the problem was that the ethernet cable was in the wrong socket of the SH, and was not closest to the incoming broadband cable. It should've been put in the right slot by the engineer. There's nothing obvious on the box to say it should go in that one?