Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nano Sim?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nano Sim?

Old 14-09-2012, 08:43   #1
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light
Nano Sim?

I see the iPhone 5 has a Nano sim, I'm guessing Virgin Mobile don't do the Nano sim, am I right in thinking that seeming that they've only just started doing the micro sim I'll have to wait a while before they do the nano sim.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2012, 10:56   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Nano Sim????

Yup, no phone VM offer needs a nano SIM, so it will be a while
Old 14-09-2012, 22:04   #3
Inactive

Services: 100Mbit Broadband
7031 is on a distinguished road7031 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, time to start cutting up micro-SIMs? Both my iPhone and my iPad just have full sized SIMs that I cut down myself - the results weren't great but they work fine.
7031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 22:50   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Here is a picture of the 3 sizes make of it what you will.

Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 18:34   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Blimey, who's hairbrained idea was that!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_identity_module
Going from the "full size sim" - YES, they really WERE like a credit card size, to the current standard "mini Sim" was clearly a no brainer, and the full size is a dead standard unless you're a retro mobile collector.

The justification for even the "Micro" standard is questionable, and the Nano is just an excercise in making things difficult, just like having a new nonstandard accessory/power connector at a time when everybody should be using micro-USB.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 19:31   #6
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
Blimey, who's hairbrained idea was that!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_identity_module
Going from the "full size sim" - YES, they really WERE like a credit card size, to the current standard "mini Sim" was clearly a no brainer, and the full size is a dead standard unless you're a retro mobile collector.

The justification for even the "Micro" standard is questionable, and the Nano is just an excercise in making things difficult, just like having a new nonstandard accessory/power connector at a time when everybody should be using micro-USB.
You can thank apple for the micro sim, but hopefully the nano sim should be adopted by all with the micro sim being forgotten about.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 19:57   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
You can thank apple for the micro sim, but hopefully the nano sim should be adopted by all with the nano sim being forgotten about.
Did you actually read that post as it does not make sense.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 21:01   #8
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Did you actually read that post as it does not make sense.
Sorry, fixed now. It gets confusing when they start using these stupid names.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 14:08   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Seeing as the current trend is to make phones bigger what's the freaking point of making pseudo-proprietary new shrunk SIM standards every blooming year or two?

It just serves to annoy those of us who have multiple phones and like to swap SIMs around - now I'll need to carry 3 adapters once people start adopting nano-SIMs, saving no bloody space whatsoever.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 14:27   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Although the phones get taller and wider, they are also getting thinner. So the small SIM cards allow more compact innards.

Same reason why most phones went from mini SD to micro SD - it's not just about the size of the card itself, but how big the holder is for it.

Hopefully though it'll stay fairly stable now, as the only next step I can seem them taking is an emulated SIM (which Apple did want to do at one point). Can't see the networks agreeing to that
Old 17-09-2012, 14:48   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

In the USA they still have one or two networks running on the CDMA system which doesn't require a SIM at all. A bit like the mobile networks here when first launched.

Nano SIM I agree is just another annoyance.
Old 17-09-2012, 21:03   #12
jono_h
Inactive

jono_h is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Although the phones get taller and wider, they are also getting thinner. So the small SIM cards allow more compact innards.
But the sim cards aren't getting any thinner, so a nano-sim won't help, and as said above phones are getting bigger, giving more space for the innards.
jono_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 21:12   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_h View Post
But the sim cards aren't getting any thinner, so a nano-sim won't help, and as said above phones are getting bigger, giving more space for the innards.
True, but a small SIM and holder allows there to be more flexibility where within the available space it sits.

handset makers will want to have as little air within the phone as possible. Smaller components across the board help them do that
Old 18-09-2012, 07:58   #14
jono_h
Inactive

jono_h is an unknown quantity at this point

And having a think about it, I can see your point about thinner; a smaller sim would allow another component to be slimmed down to fit into the space.

Sorry Ben!
jono_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 13:02   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Some interesting stuff about the nano SIM here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/18/nano_sim/