20-07-2012, 13:41
|
#46
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: Superhub2
Not the clones subject again!
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 18:18
|
#47
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,109
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
|
The latter being my priority and hence why I love my VMNG300; it works perfectly and has done for the last 2 years.
|
I'll second that, wouldn't touch the superhub with a bargepole.
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 19:16
|
#48
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Superhub2
I touched my Superhub with a bargepole. It now has two holes in it.
|
|
|
21-07-2012, 18:01
|
#49
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: Superhub2
I touched mine with a drill and it now has two external antenna connectors.
Still not as good range as my old Buffalo router was....
|
|
|
21-07-2012, 18:01
|
#50
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Superhub2
Copycat.
|
|
|
21-07-2012, 18:11
|
#51
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,571
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r
I remember paying for my old Terayon £150 IIRC, and still have it.
|
Back in the day (early noughties) on NTL you had the option of buying or renting your modem. If you bought it upfront, you got a lower monthly sub (about £5 a month off, IIRC). Eventually they stopped doing that, and some time later on they stopped giving the "discount" to people who had paid for the modem, to much loud complaining and thread-starting on this very forum.
When I signed up for NTL's 512kb broadband (Roffle!) I did a quick calculation and concluded there was a reasonable chance any modem I bought from them would cough and die long before I had got £150 worth out of it. So I just rented my Terry from them. Sure enough, it didn't stay the course.
|
|
|
21-07-2012, 18:41
|
#52
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Aylesbury, Bucks
Age: 43
Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
Posts: 269
|
Re: Superhub2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi
Cisco aren't exactly the best brand in network technology, either. Just a name that seems to get around a lot.
|
Cisco is like IBM. There's an old saying - Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM. Same goes for Cisco really. If the next Superhub was a Cisco box, I wouldn't have any issues with that. Unless of course it's Cisco Linksys. Their stuff just stinks these days.
Thing is, it seems with the superhub that the hardware isn't the entire issue. I'm not sure what sort of chipset is inside the box, but my guess is it'll be some sort of System on a Chip, like so many things now, possibly with a secondary controller to run the modem side of things. Mostly they are Broadcom or Atheros these days. The deciding factor in how good it is is the OS, and the software sitting on this. We've seen this time and time again, with set top boxes (on all platforms, Cable, Satellite, and Terrestrial), as well as modems and routers. Provided Virgin can pick a solid hardware platform, and put some decent code on top, they should be fine. I can't help but feel the current generation could be improved, unless they're seeing a lot of hardware failures, in which case, you can't always fix buggy hardware in software.
|
|
|
21-07-2012, 18:48
|
#53
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Superhub2
Worm can opened
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:30.
|