Problem with audio on 3D films
21-04-2012, 10:58
|
#1
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: Fusion Fibre 900
Posts: 1,796
|
Problem with audio on 3D films
We rented Puss in Boots 3D off Filmflex yesterday. The 3D works fine through our HD box, but there is no audio.
I went through a process of elimination.
Ordinary 3D channels such as Forgotten Planet and Invasion of the Giant Jellyfish work well with full 3D and audio.
I tried the same film on our TIVO ( not attached to a 3D TV) The audio worked fine.
I rebooted the HD box more than once. No change.
The box is attached to the 3D TV through HDMI. Audio is normally via fibre from the TV to a wall mounted bar system. I tried a scart connection to a different screen. No change. I can only assume the problem is with the HD box and only with On Demand 3D rentals.
I have checked with CS. They say there are no issues in my area. They have refunded the rental and have elevated the problem to a higher level technical team. (Resolution in 24hrs)
Any ideas on this problem folk?
__________________
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: FusionFibre/CityFibre (900Mb FTTP; Asus GT-AX11000 +3 iMesh nodes; Humax 2Tb TV box; Synology DS920+ used as Plex server (PlexWindblown)
|
|
|
21-04-2012, 11:35
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
It's a long shot, but try changing the HDMI Audio Override setting.
Do you have a Samsung or Scientific-Atlanta V+?
|
|
|
21-04-2012, 12:30
|
#3
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
This fault was highlighted a couple of weeks ago, there is a problem with the mpeg audio, this should have been removed and re-encoded
|
|
|
21-04-2012, 14:13
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
mpeg audio, you mean Virgin are renting out 3d studio releases with stereo audio? I wouldn't be happy about that.
|
|
|
21-04-2012, 14:55
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: Fusion Fibre 900
Posts: 1,796
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
It's a long shot, but try changing the HDMI Audio Override setting.
Do you have a Samsung or Scientific-Atlanta V+?
|
Thanks for the thought. I tried that but that is only if you are connecting from HD box to screen audio with optic cable.
It's a Samsung box.
---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay
This fault was highlighted a couple of weeks ago, there is a problem with the mpeg audio, this should have been removed and re-encoded
|
So, that affects HD boxes, but not TIVOs?
---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac
mpeg audio, you mean Virgin are renting out 3d studio releases with stereo audio? I wouldn't be happy about that.
|
It appears so - FilmFlex via Virgin.
__________________
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: FusionFibre/CityFibre (900Mb FTTP; Asus GT-AX11000 +3 iMesh nodes; Humax 2Tb TV box; Synology DS920+ used as Plex server (PlexWindblown)
|
|
|
21-04-2012, 16:48
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast
Thanks for the thought. I tried that but that is only if you are connecting from HD box to screen audio with optic cable.
|
Actually it applies to both HDMI and optical. But anyway...
essjay's explanation sounds very plausible. Your TiVo is using the correctly-encoded Dolby audio but the V+ is using the silent MPEG. The question is why it didn't get fixed in your region.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac
mpeg audio, you mean Virgin are renting out 3d studio releases with stereo audio? I wouldn't be happy about that.
|
I think essjay means it is encoded with both MPEG and Dolby tracks.
|
|
|
22-04-2012, 16:49
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: Fusion Fibre 900
Posts: 1,796
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
So much for VM's 24 hour resolution of the problem. I just checked. No audio on the HD box.
So we could watch the movie on TIVO we have swapped the location of our boxes. We preferred the TIVO storage facility to be in another room.
We got a refund, but no resolution. Now I have to go through the frustration of explaining it all again.
__________________
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: FusionFibre/CityFibre (900Mb FTTP; Asus GT-AX11000 +3 iMesh nodes; Humax 2Tb TV box; Synology DS920+ used as Plex server (PlexWindblown)
|
|
|
22-04-2012, 17:36
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
Why do you need to explain it again? You've watched it now (and for free  )
|
|
|
23-04-2012, 06:50
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: Fusion Fibre 900
Posts: 1,796
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Why do you need to explain it again? You've watched it now (and for free  )
|
 I don't get you.
I was explaining that the issue has not been resolved after 24 hours even though CS assured me it would.
__________________
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: FusionFibre/CityFibre (900Mb FTTP; Asus GT-AX11000 +3 iMesh nodes; Humax 2Tb TV box; Synology DS920+ used as Plex server (PlexWindblown)
|
|
|
23-04-2012, 09:27
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast
I was explaining that the issue has not been resolved after 24 hours even though CS assured me it would.
|
Yes, I understand that, but do you really care now you have watched it on the TiVo?
Hopefully essjay can work some magic on it anyway.
|
|
|
23-04-2012, 09:57
|
#11
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Hopefully essjay can work some magic on it anyway.
|
Unfortunately I am not back in th office until the 9th May
|
|
|
23-04-2012, 14:51
|
#12
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: Fusion Fibre 900
Posts: 1,796
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Yes, I understand that, but do you really care now you have watched it on the TiVo?
|
Yes I b@*!*y do care! I had to move the TIVO away where we prefer to keep it. Its big storage is perfect for the room that it was in. As soon as proper paid-for service is resumed will will swap the boxes over again. BTW they still haven't fixed it.
__________________
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: FusionFibre/CityFibre (900Mb FTTP; Asus GT-AX11000 +3 iMesh nodes; Humax 2Tb TV box; Synology DS920+ used as Plex server (PlexWindblown)
|
|
|
23-04-2012, 17:42
|
#13
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
After a bit of digging I have found there is an open fault ticket for this, ref F001955600. It is being worked on.
|
|
|
23-04-2012, 20:02
|
#14
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: Fusion Fibre 900
Posts: 1,796
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
After a bit of digging I have found there is an open fault ticket for this, ref F001955600. It is being worked on.
|
Thanks. Can i follow that ref up anywhere on line?
__________________
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: FusionFibre/CityFibre (900Mb FTTP; Asus GT-AX11000 +3 iMesh nodes; Humax 2Tb TV box; Synology DS920+ used as Plex server (PlexWindblown)
|
|
|
23-04-2012, 20:56
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Problem with audio on 3D films
No, but I'll keep an eye on it for you.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:15.
|