ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
20-10-2011, 10:47
|
#16
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
What I find worrying is that 2 VM employees in this thread disregarded bad latency performance as unimportant, as if the gaming market is irrelevant. A total thumbs down to gaming customers. Is this an attitude that runs through the company?
|
If that was aimed at me please show me where i have said i disregarded bad latency, By the way i am posting from home before you think you can report me like you threatened to once.
All i did was point out that you were attempting to imply that this site might not want to report on that post on another forum. There i said it.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 10:50
|
#17
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
Don't see any claims over lag or jitter there though compared with the advert the ASA were ruling on
|
How can a service be perfect for gaming when jitter is all over the place?
The claim is there.
---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
If that was aimed at me please show me where i have said i disregarded bad latency, By the way i am posting from home before you think you can report me like you threatened to once before.
All i did was point out that you were attempting to imply that this site might not want to report on that post. There i said it.
|
You clapped to chris's comment that said it and even put in bold the bit about latency.
You saying you dont agree with what he said now?
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 10:53
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
to kwikbreaks unfortenatly the ASA cant rule on companies own websites, a silly rule.
|
Sorry but you're wrong on that one. I knew it was either coming or already in force and a quick google shows they got powers over those in May of this year.
This is the first hit rather than anything actually definitive but I'm sure it's the case...
http://chips88.com/safe_online_casin...pany-websites/
Maybe the guy who complained about the magazine ad is trawling the VM website right now....
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 10:54
|
#19
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
How can a service be perfect for gaming when jitter is all over the place?
The claim is there.
---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------
You clapped to chris's comment that said it and even put in bold the bit about latency.
You saying you don't agree with what he said now?
|
My point is that we don't all sit there every night highlighting the slightest change in our connection. I for instance have better things to do in my life than complain at every single change to my modem. I don't monitor my upstream channel all the time like you seem to do, I don't sit there trying to change it all the time because i use my connection for what i want and i don't see the point in fiddling with it..
Put simply i have a life
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 11:02
|
#20
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,572
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
more accurately VM said the magazine wrote the advert.
That is completely bizzare, how believable is it that a company wanting to advertise would tell the paper/magazine what to put in the advert and then not verify the advert before publish?
|
Highly believable. And I speak from experience. It shouldn't happen, but it does, for any number of reasons and not just at VM.
Quote:
|
I can simplify it, VM got caught misselling their broadband, quite simple.
|
One of several possible explanations ... Possibly the simplest to articulate, but that doesn't automatically make it correct.
Now, run along, aren't you due to run another ping test on your connection, it must be a good 10 minutes since the last one?
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 11:08
|
#21
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks
Sorry but you're wrong on that one. I knew it was either coming or already in force and a quick google shows they got powers over those in May of this year.
This is the first hit rather than anything actually definitive but I'm sure it's the case...
http://chips88.com/safe_online_casin...pany-websites/
Maybe the guy who complained about the magazine ad is trawling the VM website right now....
|
The website was also reported along with the magazine.
---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
My point is that we don't all sit there every night highlighting the slightest change in our connection. I for instance have better things to do in my life than complain at every single change to my modem. I don't monitor my upstream channel all the time like you seem to do, I don't sit there trying to change it all the time because i use my connection for what i want and i don't see the point in fiddling with it..
Put simply i have a life
|
Yes I know, but at the same time there is people using VM who need good latency, mainly gamers. So for some people its more important than the speed.
Personally I dont check all the time either, I check when I notice problems on something I am doing eg. if a file is downloading slowly or ssh feels more laggy than normal. If everything feels ok on normal day to day stuff I dont check my tbb graph etc. I expect its the same for most people, they only check when problems start.
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 11:10
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Obviously folks with a connection that comes close to the VM advertising hype (and I accept that that is most) don't check but if you notice poor performance (as I did) then you do investigate.
The most recent whinger here is me not Chrysalis and the reasons for that are simple - what was a good connection became pretty much rubbish.
I set up a TBB monitor and it became clear to me that there was congestion. I posted about that on the VM forum to get it checked and noticed the increased response time. I considered that of interest to others and mentioned it here. I've also added some of the charts in the very long running thread on the monitor.
I saw mention that rebooting could sometimes shift the upstream channel so I took a look at the modem stats to see what the channel was and noticed while there that the power levels had changed suggesting a change of tap. I remembered a VM bod on the street and could see that the modem resynced around the time I saw him so I whinged about that here too (and posted about the now out of spec upstream on the VM forum).
If it wasn't for whingers like me and Chrysalis there'd be nothing for you employees/fanboys/whatever to respond to and the board would die for lack of posts.
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 11:19
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: nowhere near you
Services: BT INFINITY
sky hd
Posts: 158
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Because of the connection of mine and a few other peoples connection in our clan we have now gone to a different isp because our gaming suffered massively.
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 11:22
|
#24
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,572
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks
If it wasn't for whingers like me and Chrysalis there'd be nothing for you employees/fanboys/whatever to respond to and the board would die for lack of posts.
|
On the contrary, about four months ago there was a sudden and very welcome drop in the number of whingeing posts and obsessive speed/ping testing on this forum. The board didn't die. In fact it became a rather more pleasant place to be. With a notable reduction in bickering it also got a little easier to moderate as well.
If some folks here are a bit sensitive to any return to discussion of pings and jitter for ther own sake, it's hardly surprising. Nevertheless genuine discussion is, always has been and always will be most welcome here.
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 11:24
|
#25
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks
If it wasn't for whingers like me and Chrysalis there'd be nothing for you employees/fanboys/whatever to respond to and the board would die for lack of posts.
|
Point out where we employees/fanboys as you call us resort to using childish names. If we are to have a adult conversation on here lets keep it adult.
Anyway i do complain when my connection is bad. I do play games and i will complain very quickly if i see my connection deteriorate.
My connection at the present time. Monitored because i am part of the sam knows trial Q the well that's why your connection is good posts
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 11:34
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
Point out where we employees/fanboys as you call us resort to using childish names.
|
Perhaps the VM staff and forum admins don't use any childish names but one of the latter certainly resorts to childish comments...
Quote:
|
Now, run along, aren't you due to run another ping test on your connection, it must be a good 10 minutes since the last one?
|
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 12:27
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southampton (Switch PT2)
Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
Posts: 493
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
If you've not troubled yourself to establish any pattern in this website's news coverage, how have you arrived at the conclusion that this story being missing is 'curious'?
|
I don't understand this comment. Surely curiosity would be the driver behind troubling oneself to establish this website's news coverage patterns? I can't think what other driver would be an appropriate assumption, unless you are implying the poster is being paid to criticise this site for some reason which I doubt. So, surely curiosity must come before the research is done, being a driver rather than a conclusion in itself?
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 14:39
|
#28
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Well its up on thereg now with yesterdays date, so they probably backdated it.
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 15:06
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
If you picked up the link from their newsletter (it is in today's) then that is always a day behind the site itself.
|
|
|
20-10-2011, 15:13
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 954
|
Re: ASA points out to Virgin Media that latency is not download speed
Uhm, they haven't backdated it, it was on the reg yesterday.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:13.
|