07-08-2011, 16:35
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
|
Useage
I'm wondering whether there is any way of finding out how much I'm using - downloading each month????
We are thinking of moving to a non cable area, sadly, and looking at ISPs and what I can get in that particular area ...... I began wondering what my useage actually was.
I'm not even sure if useage is the correctly terminology or downloading.... so excuse my ignorance.
Is it a modem log I'm looking for ??????
|
|
|
07-08-2011, 16:53
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Useage
Modem logs don't show total bandwidth used. You need to install a bandwidth monitor on all the PC's using your connection.
|
|
|
07-08-2011, 17:02
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
|
Re: Useage
Thanks. That sounds complicated.
I was just wondering what sort of user I am
|
|
|
07-08-2011, 21:55
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Useage
If you have to wonder, then you probably aren't a very heavy one.
|
|
|
08-08-2011, 08:24
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
|
Re: Useage
Thanks for the link. I did have a look there previously but I didn't see that ... but I'm on a Mac and its only for pcs.
I'm guessing I'm a low (ish) user ... I'm on the computer a lot but I don't play games, apart from Facebook, and don't download music
But I've Googled and found something that will suit me fine ... just got to find my download limit etc now and I'm up and running!!!
|
|
|
09-08-2011, 17:07
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
|
Re: Useage
This is working out harder than I thought.
I downloaded SurplusMeter and it needs to know what connection I'm on.... eerrrrr.... put in modem and the figures didn't move yesterday .... changed it to ethernet today and the figures are moving now at least .... but I haven't got a clue what I've got. I thought I had a Modem ????
THEN .... it asks what is my allowance .... again ... no clue .... so put in 10 GB but checking on the Virgin site it says (I think) that its unlimited unless you use too much unlimited then it will be limited!!! Eeerrrrrrrrr?????? What part of unlimited do I take to mean unlimited .... oh I know ... take off the UN first!!!!
Anyhow ... I'm beginning not to care
|
|
|
09-08-2011, 17:33
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,070
|
Re: Useage
I use DUMeter. You can have a 30 day free trial here:
http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/download
Sorry IGNORE THIS. I didn't see you were a MAC user.
For others, this is a good product.
|
|
|
09-08-2011, 18:47
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Andover, Hants
Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
Posts: 732
|
Re: Useage
You could try BitMeter, I've been using it for a while and found it useful. It's Open Source and runs on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux
http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeter2
|
|
|
09-08-2011, 22:17
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Useage
Seems to be working fine. Cable modems work through the ethernet port. "Modem" on its own means the old 56k telephone modems.
|
|
|
10-08-2011, 08:13
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
|
Re: Useage
Thanks. I didn't know that
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 22:47
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Posts: 2,516
|
Re: Useage
Since there is no hard limit, you may want to set a possible figure such as the 2GB for Sky lite (free if you have Sky & use Sky talk for your calls)
Also worth looking up possible areas on http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_mapping - NB. Sky = Easynet, Talktalk = CPW - If not in an area with easynet connectivity, then you cannot get the free or cheap Sky BB, only one that costs more and offers less.
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 08:29
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
|
Re: Useage
That's a good idea (setting it for potential changeover limits) and then I can see what's going on.
I'd been musing what to set it on ... and that's solved that!!!!
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 09:06
|
#14
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,378
|
Re: Useage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
Modem logs don't show total bandwidth used. You need to install a bandwidth monitor on all the PC's using your connection.
|
How does one do that with a console like XBox as well as PCs?
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 10:21
|
#15
|
|
a giant headend
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,169
|
Re: Useage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
How does one do that with a console like XBox as well as PCs? 
|
You need a router that can do it. Usually you need custom firmware, as the standard firmware of most consumer level routers is about as feature packed as the superhub (without the superhubs extra 'features')
I think DD-WRT can do it, but Tomato/TomatoUSB most certainly can, and in a nice graphical format too. My routers bandwidth logging from a few days ago:
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:36.
|