Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Useage

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Useage
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 16:35   #1
FairyFairy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light
Useage

I'm wondering whether there is any way of finding out how much I'm using - downloading each month????

We are thinking of moving to a non cable area, sadly, and looking at ISPs and what I can get in that particular area ...... I began wondering what my useage actually was.

I'm not even sure if useage is the correctly terminology or downloading.... so excuse my ignorance.


Is it a modem log I'm looking for ??????
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2011, 16:53   #2
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Useage

Modem logs don't show total bandwidth used. You need to install a bandwidth monitor on all the PC's using your connection.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 17:02   #3
FairyFairy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Useage

Thanks. That sounds complicated.

I was just wondering what sort of user I am
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:55   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Useage

If you have to wonder, then you probably aren't a very heavy one.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 23:23   #5
linwelin
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 198
linwelin is on a distinguished roadlinwelin is on a distinguished road
Re: Useage

try http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools.html download the Broadband Usage Meter - tbbMeter
linwelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:24   #6
FairyFairy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Useage

Thanks for the link. I did have a look there previously but I didn't see that ... but I'm on a Mac and its only for pcs.

I'm guessing I'm a low (ish) user ... I'm on the computer a lot but I don't play games, apart from Facebook, and don't download music


But I've Googled and found something that will suit me fine ... just got to find my download limit etc now and I'm up and running!!!
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 17:07   #7
FairyFairy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Useage

This is working out harder than I thought.

I downloaded SurplusMeter and it needs to know what connection I'm on.... eerrrrr.... put in modem and the figures didn't move yesterday .... changed it to ethernet today and the figures are moving now at least .... but I haven't got a clue what I've got. I thought I had a Modem ????

THEN .... it asks what is my allowance .... again ... no clue .... so put in 10 GB but checking on the Virgin site it says (I think) that its unlimited unless you use too much unlimited then it will be limited!!! Eeerrrrrrrrr?????? What part of unlimited do I take to mean unlimited .... oh I know ... take off the UN first!!!!

Anyhow ... I'm beginning not to care
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 17:33   #8
RobboEdin
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,070
RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Useage

I use DUMeter. You can have a 30 day free trial here:

http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/download

Sorry IGNORE THIS. I didn't see you were a MAC user.

For others, this is a good product.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 18:47   #9
dave6x
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Andover, Hants
Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
Posts: 732
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Useage

You could try BitMeter, I've been using it for a while and found it useful. It's Open Source and runs on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux

http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeter2
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 22:17   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Useage

Seems to be working fine. Cable modems work through the ethernet port. "Modem" on its own means the old 56k telephone modems.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:13   #11
FairyFairy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Useage

Thanks. I didn't know that
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 22:47   #12
Matth
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Posts: 2,516
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Useage

Since there is no hard limit, you may want to set a possible figure such as the 2GB for Sky lite (free if you have Sky & use Sky talk for your calls)
Also worth looking up possible areas on http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_mapping - NB. Sky = Easynet, Talktalk = CPW - If not in an area with easynet connectivity, then you cannot get the free or cheap Sky BB, only one that costs more and offers less.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 08:29   #13
FairyFairy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
Posts: 260
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Useage

That's a good idea (setting it for potential changeover limits) and then I can see what's going on.

I'd been musing what to set it on ... and that's solved that!!!!
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:06   #14
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
 
Maggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,378
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Useage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Modem logs don't show total bandwidth used. You need to install a bandwidth monitor on all the PC's using your connection.
How does one do that with a console like XBox as well as PCs?
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:21   #15
Skie
a giant headend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,169
Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: Useage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
How does one do that with a console like XBox as well as PCs?
You need a router that can do it. Usually you need custom firmware, as the standard firmware of most consumer level routers is about as feature packed as the superhub (without the superhubs extra 'features')

I think DD-WRT can do it, but Tomato/TomatoUSB most certainly can, and in a nice graphical format too. My routers bandwidth logging from a few days ago:

Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:59.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum