Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Students Rioting in London.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Students Rioting in London.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2011, 16:16   #1216
Sparkle
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

I don't know if it was a student or not, its merely my personal opinion that he probably isn't. Just because I've never known students to behave in such a threatening manner, doesn't mean they aren't any. Who knows, could've been students acting like gangstas for all anyone can (yet) say with 100% certainty.

Either way, I think the fact that a citizens arrest was attempted does carry some weight as to the intentions of the majority of protestors.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2011, 16:31   #1217
Sparkle
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I disagree totally with the fees that students are being charged and until I see all of the 650 mps in parliament put their hands in their own pockets to pay back the fees they should have been charged then I will always believe that it is a charade.
Missed this bit, I think I'd forgotten your stance in this thread, it must have been quite a while since I've posted in this thread.
Fair enough, I had thought/assumed you were in favour of the fees.
I guess where we differ, is in how to go about getting the message across.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, that although I'm against violence, I can't help but watch in awe as a few hundred anarchists (spread out over 4 demos) achieve what hundreds of peaceful demonstrations back in 1997 failed to. All we managed after all those protests back then was 4 seconds on the 6 o'clock news (once, that I can recall).
Unfortunately, the student plight has received much bad publicity as a result of the excessive violence.
However, I wouldn't like to see the police using water cannon or rubber bullets as I fear the innocent protesters would be the ones to suffer rather than a violent minority.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 16:31   #1218
Jimmy-J
common as muck
 
Jimmy-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dirty Old Town
Posts: 3,564
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Boy held...
Quote:
A 14-year-old boy has been arrested over the alleged throwing of a petrol bomb at a protest against tuition fee increases in central London.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12196009
Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 16:33   #1219
Sparkle
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Wow, that was quick..
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 16:35   #1220
Peter_
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Missed this bit, I think I'd forgotten your stance in this thread, it must have been quite a while since I've posted in this thread.
Fair enough, I had thought/assumed you were in favour of the fees.
I guess where we differ, is in how to go about getting the message across.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, that although I'm against violence, I can't help but watch in awe as a few hundred anarchists (spread out over 4 demos) achieve what hundreds of peaceful demonstrations back in 1997 failed to. All we managed after all those protests back then was 4 seconds on the 6 o'clock news (once, that I can recall).
Unfortunately, the student plight has received much bad publicity as a result of the excessive violence.
However, I wouldn't like to see the police using water cannon or rubber bullets as I fear the innocent protesters would be the ones to suffer rather than a violent minority.
My stance is purely on where the protests have been held nothing more and I feel that area should protected regardless of who is the incumbent government.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 16:38   #1221
Sparkle
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
How can you (or they) tell if it a student or a gang member?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Because it says so at the top of the page:
lol, actually I only just now noticed that comment in the title ! At least someone agrees with me !
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 16:38   #1222
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar
 
TheDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,501
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Missed this bit, I think I'd forgotten your stance in this thread, it must have been quite a while since I've posted in this thread.
Fair enough, I had thought/assumed you were in favour of the fees.
I guess where we differ, is in how to go about getting the message across.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, that although I'm against violence, I can't help but watch in awe as a few hundred anarchists (spread out over 4 demos) achieve what hundreds of peaceful demonstrations back in 1997 failed to. All we managed after all those protests back then was 4 seconds on the 6 o'clock news (once, that I can recall).
Unfortunately, the student plight has received much bad publicity as a result of the excessive violence.
However, I wouldn't like to see the police using water cannon or rubber bullets as I fear the innocent protesters would be the ones to suffer rather than a violent minority.
You know I did agree with that view point, that no one listened to peaceful protest and it would achieve nothing, like the stop the war marches etc but at the time of the riots the government did a u turn on a policy based soley on a petition and a bit of lobbying, think it was some thing to do with school sports so it can be done.
TheDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 16:46   #1223
Sparkle
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
My stance is purely on where the protests have been held nothing more and I feel that area should protected regardless of who is the incumbent government.
Well yes, even I agree with that. Protesters yards away from government isn't really a good idea. Just seems like its asking for trouble.
Perhaps they could direct the protests to some part of London's East end where noone really minds if it gets destroyed?
Sounds better to me than bringing out the water cannon or smashing up the treasury.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 17:21   #1224
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,602
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Student arrested as dozens of protesters charge David Cameron's car and chant ‘Tory scum’

David Cameron was at the centre of another student protest today when his motorcade was chased by angry demonstrators.
One student was arrested when a group of up to 40 waited for the Prime Minister and chanted 'Tory ****' as he left a science education centre in Newcastle.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1B2EqF6kR
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 23:33   #1225
Tuftus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
Good.

They really need to round up all of the trouble makers ala the ones swinging of the cenotaph etc.

Make an example of them.

Then bring in the water cannons for those that want to wreak havoc on the streets in the future and cause countless amounts of damage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 06:27   #1226
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker
 
Sirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,104
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus View Post

Then bring in the water cannons for those that want to wreak havoc on the streets in the future and cause countless amounts of damage.
They might do that instead of kettling
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user

https://nobaraproject.org/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 08:27   #1227
Sparkle
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Admittedly, the evening news would be much more interesting if they do bring in water cannon. Who knows, you might even see me getting washed down Reagent Street
I hope they hold out 'till summer time, then maybe bring in the water cannon.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 08:44   #1228
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Interesting, as in "Tunisia interesting"?

The problem is that it would appear that a small section of the protestors are planning for escalation (and in some cases hoping to provoke it), in the hope that this will gain sympathy for them, and enhance negative feelings towards the police and government.

I strongly support the right to protest, but am strongly against the violence and damage caused by those looking to escalate things (whilst I can sympathise with the frustrations felt, I can have the same frustrations against some of my neighbours regarding their behaviours, but it doesn't give me the right to throw a brick through their windows or key their cars).
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 09:28   #1229
Sparkle
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Interesting, as in "Tunisia interesting"?

The problem is that it would appear that a small section of the protestors are planning for escalation (and in some cases hoping to provoke it), in the hope that this will gain sympathy for them, and enhance negative feelings towards the police and government.

I strongly support the right to protest, but am strongly against the violence and damage caused by those looking to escalate things (whilst I can sympathise with the frustrations felt, I can have the same frustrations against some of my neighbours regarding their behaviours, but it doesn't give me the right to throw a brick through their windows or key their cars).
I'd describe the events in Tunisia as more horrifying than interesting. However, water cannon on British streets might serve to garner further sympathy for the cause (possibly the real reason why they haven't yet been used). However, if the public are content with the government and their decisions in recent years, then its a lost cause as far as I'm concerned. The students and the unions can't do it alone.

It amazes me how perceptions can change from one person to the next.
One person can watch footage of the recent protests, and just see reckless vandals that they may associate with local Buckfast wielding riff raff.
The next person will watch the same footage, and think - hey maybe now the government might actually start to take notice ?
I find myself in the latter category.

I see some parallels with the incident which took place at Kent State university during the Vietnam war protests in 1970. For years whilst growing up, I could never understand how the national guardsman could fire live rounds into the crowds of student protesters, killing 4 of them. Afterall, they were children, the next generation, right?
I recall seeing the interviews of the national guardsmen on a documentary, and I was quite sickened by the way they viewed the students, such hate and indignation in their descriptions. I thought "Wow, what a screwed up society it was back then.". I must have assumed that we'd moved on since those days.

However, since the November protests, I see history repeating all over. There seems to be much hate directed towards the students, for one reason or another - and I'm not convinced its strictly to do with the recent violence either.
Noone's been shot yet, but I've read various comments to the effect that the police should just open fire with live rounds. I'd hate to think we've not learned a darned thing in the last 40 years.

When a group of muslims march on our streets shouting death to us all, we do nothing, in fact we can't even deport the Abu-Hamza "hook-cleric". Despite all his hate rhetoric, he's still here. The government can tax us into oblivion and we do nothing. It just goes on and on.
But yet when our younger generation take to the streets to try to make a better future for our country (whether they've got it right or wrong), so many are shouting for their blood.
Sad times
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 11:12   #1230
TheNorm
Inactive
 
TheNorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cambridge
Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
Posts: 4,349
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
...I see some parallels with the incident which took place at Kent State university ...
You cannot be serious.

Many of the National Guardsmen to whom you refer had friends and brothers serving in Vietnam, some of whom had been killed or injured. To be told by a bunch of students that their sacrifice was worthless would have been difficult for many.

This bears no resemblance to protests concerning student fees. If anything, many of the police on duty who are parents will have some sympathy with the issue, as they don't relish the thought of forking out more money for their kids education.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:43.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum