Students Rioting in London.
22-12-2010, 19:39
|
#886
|
|
vox populi vox dei
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,602
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
I am not sure if there is a "win" - just less losing.....
Sometimes, in life, we don't all get what we want (or feel we deserve) - we get what we can afford.
As I said, I am in a quandary, as I don't think it is simple as either "side" make out - the present expansion is unaffordable (imho), but I think the raising of fees will discourage some students who before would have taken part in the widening participation of HE.
|
i feel sad for the younger generation and frustrated that i am powerless to help them ,this situation that we find ourselves in is not of their doing but they will have to suffer for the mistakes of their elders ,the very people who are supposed to protect and care for them - your right when you say
" in life, we don't all get what we want (or feel we deserve)"
we live in interesting times .
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 20:42
|
#887
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,375
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh
Whats appalling about that ? all i see is a heavily edited poor quality video of rioters in a kettle .What the students need to realise i sthat measures such as these would not be needed if they could be trusted to act like mature adults and not smash the place up
|
When was the riot? I didn't see a riot. I think you are believing far too much of what you are being told. If that was the riot, things weren't as bad as has been made out.
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 20:44
|
#888
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
When was the riot? I didn't see a riot. I think you are believing far too much of what you are being told. If that was the riot, things weren't as bad as has been made out.
|
Irony, thy name is FB.......
I see - you can interpret something from a shaky fuzzy cameraphone recording, but that option is not available to others.....
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 20:46
|
#889
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,375
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
Irony, thy name is FB.......
I see - you can interpret something from a shaky fuzzy cameraphone recording, but that option is not available to others.....
|
There was no riot, I don't think that the video needed to be any clearer.
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 21:19
|
#890
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle
|
Well. What an emotive 'collection of clips' of video.
Heavily edited and biassed. The only people i heard being aggressive and swearing in that were the students, sorry rioters.
I mean, come on! These people should be used to 'kettling' have the not been to Glasto ffs?
Why is it that some people cannot just accept the fact that some, probably most people went down there expecting trouble, it kicked off and they got what they deserved?
They will live, life goes on and they learn that politicians change thier minds. That's life.
Move on.
|
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 21:20
|
#891
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
There was no riot....right. So all that violence came from ballet dancing?
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 21:45
|
#892
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,375
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus
Well. What an emotive 'collection of clips' of video.
Heavily edited and biassed. The only people i heard being aggressive and swearing in that were the students, sorry rioters.
I mean, come on! These people should be used to 'kettling' have the not been to Glasto ffs?
Why is it that some people cannot just accept the fact that some, probably most people went down there expecting trouble, it kicked off and they got what they deserved?
They will live, life goes on and they learn that politicians change thier minds. That's life.
Move on.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
There was no riot....right. So all that violence came from ballet dancing?
|
Again I ask, where was the riot in that video? If that is an example of the riots that went on in London, I can't see what all the fuss is all about.
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 21:54
|
#893
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Do you think that video is indicative of what happened that day? Hang on why am i asking that? Of course you do.
But reality check - no it isn't.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 21:56
|
#894
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Again I ask, where was the riot in that video? If that is an example of the riots that went on in London, I can't see what all the fuss is all about.
|
Who were the people swearing?
The Police asking them to move back or the rioters replying with F words etc
Get a grip and step in to the real world my friend.
|
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 21:57
|
#895
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glasgow
Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Posts: 9,158
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I can't see what all the fuss is all about.
|
So you haven't seen any of the other videos? The ones where fencing is pulled down, windows are smashed, fireworks, flares and petrol bombs thrown at police lines, fires set on parliament square.
You've seen none of them and decide to base your opinion of what happened on one heavily edited shaky-cam video from later on in the night.
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 22:23
|
#896
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
I have to go to bed soon....
|
|
|
|
22-12-2010, 22:33
|
#897
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
When was the riot? I didn't see a riot. I think you are believing far too much of what you are being told. If that was the riot, things weren't as bad as has been made out.
|
where the hell have you been the last few weeks ,when fire extinguishers were getting thrown,fences thrown,snooker balls,fireworks,flares were being thrown ,police hit with iron bars ,graffiti daubed all over the place ,national monuments defaced, windows smashed police vans turned over ,members of the royal family attacked ..have i missed anything ? bloody hell FB you realy know how to be selective in what you see .These are facts ,they cannot be denied ,they are on video for all of time ,go on utube and type "student riots" and see how many hits you get ,alternatively you could go and join the holocaust denial society
|
|
|
|
23-12-2010, 05:31
|
#898
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
When was the riot? I didn't see a riot. I think you are believing far too much of what you are being told. If that was the riot, things weren't as bad as has been made out.
|
So students lifting steel fence panels to use as weapons along with anything else they can lay their hands and destroying public property or daubing paint on everything in sight does not constitute a riot, then please explain what the students were doing as that does not come under their right to protest under any law in any country on this planet.
Maybe you are using these.
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
To see these.
|
|
|
23-12-2010, 07:44
|
#899
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
Assumption is the mother of all frakk-ups.....
"Biased history books" - those that don't agree with your viewpoint
|
That doesn't make any sense, you said before that the history books are written by the "winners". That implies the history books are written based on merit of victory, rather than right or wrong. That has nothing to do with my viewpoint, per se.
Quote:
(and it's actually "capisce").
|
Yea I know da spellin Dr Pedantic, but I did check for an English equivalent and came across this:
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Kapish
(they may have it wrong however)
Quote:
I actually work in the Higher Education sector, have two offspring undertaking HE (one 1st year and one post-grad) and I think what the Government is doing is detrimental, but I also think that the ongoing expansion is unaffordable, so it is a bit of a quandary
But what I do hope is that the rioters don't win this one - there we do differ.
|
The rioters are a minority. You'd rather the politicians win so the minority of rioters "don't win" as you put it ?
Geez Hugh, talk about cutting your nose to spite your face.
---------- Post added at 08:44 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
When was the riot? I didn't see a riot. I think you are believing far too much of what you are being told. If that was the riot, things weren't as bad as has been made out.
|
Very true. The naysayers should look to the Greeks to see what a real riot looks like.
|
|
|
23-12-2010, 07:48
|
#900
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle
Very true. The naysayers should look to the Greeks to see what a real riot looks like.
|
Are you for real. 
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:19.
|