Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Students Rioting in London.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Students Rioting in London.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2010, 19:44   #826
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Students Rioting in London.

How can he concede a number you made up...... (he said 99% of the cops he saw, not 99% of the cops there).
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2010, 19:45   #827
Flyboy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,375
Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
so sparkles found the clip amusing -but no one has mentioned that the police on horse back deliberately charged at students which could have resulted in death or terrible injury .
Didn't you know; apparently it was all meant as a joke and hey, that it makes it okay.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 20:15   #828
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
How can he concede a number you made up...... (he said 99% of the cops he saw, not 99% of the cops there).


Yes I was wondering that... Flyboy's 'hearing' is obviously better than Derek's vison...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 20:20   #829
Flyboy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,375
Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
How can he concede a number you made up...... (he said 99% of the cops he saw, not 99% of the cops there).
I would say, much the same way that he assumes that more of them didn't do it.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 21:15   #830
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Students Rioting in London.

You appear to be confusing his assumptions with your assumptions about an imaginary concession you assume he made.......
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 21:20   #831
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive
 
Tezcatlipoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Students Rioting in London.

I found this particular "Kettling" image quite disturbing
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 21:53   #832
Derek
Inactive
 
Derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glasgow
Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Posts: 9,158
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Sorry, but I hold that with as much credibility as there being a Father Christmas. She could have easily changed her epaulettes when she changed her jacket. Are you really expecting us to believe she was the only one?
I'll bow to your greater knowledge of how people react in public order situations.
If the commons select committee accepted that reason then I'll accept it as well. During that evidence it stated she was the only example, surely with the professional protestors itching to show that all cops are thugs then there would be more than one example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Is that how the police are trained to move someone along, who is in a wheelchair? What is the correct and authorised way to move someone in wheelchair?
It all depends on the circumstances. As I mentioned previously if it was me having to move a hostile, apparently disabled person, who wasn't being compliant then I'd separate them from their chair as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
What makes it okay because they were "off-duty?"
Is it official Police guidelines? Nope, it's some people with a very stressful job letting off steam. They deal with stuff professionally on-duty but off duty as long as it's not illegal have a life as well.
I've been to some outrageous comedy gigs with jokes that make you wince in horror, making fun of some things you really should not laugh at. It doesn't mean I take that flippantness into work with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
But you have already conceded that at least fifty of them did hide their identification.
Nope. I gave a hypothetical percentage and you leaped on it. As I've said only one video or photo has come to light, surely if there were more it would be out in public with the five second video clips that are enough for some people to make their minds up.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 06:22   #833
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,602
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I found this particular "Kettling" image quite disturbing
looks like the situation is about to boil over

---------- Post added at 07:22 ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I'll bow to your greater knowledge of how people react in public order situations.
If the commons select committee accepted that reason then I'll accept it as well. During that evidence it stated she was the only example, surely with the professional protestors itching to show that all cops are thugs then there would be more than one example.



It all depends on the circumstances. As I mentioned previously if it was me having to move a hostile, apparently disabled person, who wasn't being compliant then I'd separate them from their chair as well.



Is it official Police guidelines? Nope, it's some people with a very stressful job letting off steam. They deal with stuff professionally on-duty but off duty as long as it's not illegal have a life as well.
I've been to some outrageous comedy gigs with jokes that make you wince in horror, making fun of some things you really should not laugh at. It doesn't mean I take that flippantness into work with me.



Nope. I gave a hypothetical percentage and you leaped on it. As I've said only one video or photo has come to light, surely if there were more it would be out in public with the five second video clips that are enough for some people to make their minds up.
I'm speechless .
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 06:32   #834
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I've been to some outrageous comedy gigs with jokes that make you wince in horror, making fun of some things you really should not laugh at. It doesn't mean I take that flippantness into work with me.

Now you're for it....
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 09:45   #835
Sparkle
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
Sparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful oneSparkle is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I found this particular "Kettling" image quite disturbing
Very funny, though I find this "Kettling" image to be a little more humourous.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:08   #836
Flyboy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,375
Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I'll bow to your greater knowledge of how people react in public order situations.
If the commons select committee accepted that reason then I'll accept it as well. During that evidence it stated she was the only example, surely with the professional protestors itching to show that all cops are thugs then there would be more than one example.
What select committee, I wasn't aware of any evidence given to a select committee yet, regarding this, or any other police officer, hiding their identity. Did I miss something?

Quote:
It all depends on the circumstances. As I mentioned previously if it was me having to move a hostile, apparently disabled person, who wasn't being compliant then I'd separate them from their chair as well.
What are the guidelines?

Quote:
Is it official Police guidelines? Nope, it's some people with a very stressful job letting off steam. They deal with stuff professionally on-duty but off duty as long as it's not illegal have a life as well.
I've been to some outrageous comedy gigs with jokes that make you wince in horror, making fun of some things you really should not laugh at. It doesn't mean I take that flippantness into work with me.
So, when it comes to someone writing a blog about his political activities, it is incitement to violent resistance. But when "off-duty" police officers (you have no idea if they were off-duty or not, when they were writing their posts) suggesting they should be allowed to blow the brains out of protesters, that's is just "blowing off steam." Can't you see the absurdity in that? Would it ever be seen as bringing the name of the force into disrepute?

Quote:
Nope. I gave a hypothetical percentage and you leaped on it. As I've said only one video or photo has come to light, surely if there were more it would be out in public with the five second video clips that are enough for some people to make their minds up.
So, you didn't see any officers hiding their identity?

I don't think it matters how long the video clips are for, this officer still hid their shoulder number. Using the, "I left it on my other jacket" excuse, is not an acceptable reason, especially in light of what happened at the G20 protests.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:35   #837
Derek
Inactive
 
Derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glasgow
Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Posts: 9,158
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
What select committee, I wasn't aware of any evidence given to a select committee yet, regarding this, or any other police officer, hiding their identity. Did I miss something?
I think you've missed a great deal. There was evidence given to a Parliament committee a few days after the riot where the ONE officer missing shoulder numbers was explained and accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
So, when it comes to someone writing a blog about his political activities, it is incitement to violent resistance. But when "off-duty" police officers (you have no idea if they were off-duty or not, when they were writing their posts) suggesting they should be allowed to blow the brains out of protesters, that's is just "blowing off steam." Can't you see the absurdity in that? Would it ever be seen as bringing the name of the force into disrepute?
I think there is a huge difference between an obvious joke and urging violent resistance. Still you have previous for being able to understand jokes so I'll let it slip for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
So, you didn't see any officers hiding their identity?

I don't think it matters how long the video clips are for, this officer still hid their shoulder number. Using the, "I left it on my other jacket" excuse, is not an acceptable reason, especially in light of what happened at the G20 protests.
I saw a video clip of ONE officer out of several thousand not wearing shoulder epaulettes. I'll let you into a secret, not every item of clothing issued to police officers has numbers attached to it. Officers typically have two or three sets to be moved between jackets.

If the order was given to change quickly from hi-viz to flame retardant than I think it's entirely possible an officer might not switch their numbers over if they are distracted by petrol bombs being chucked in their general direction by some jolly students.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:50   #838
Tuftus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
If the order was given to change quickly from hi-viz to flame retardant than I think it's entirely possible an officer might not switch their numbers over if they are distracted by petrol bombs being chucked in their general direction by some jolly students.
That is exactly what I was thinking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:50   #839
Osem
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
If the order was given to change quickly from hi-viz to flame retardant than I think it's entirely possible an officer might not switch their numbers over if they are distracted by petrol bombs being chucked in their general direction by some jolly students.

Come on now, that's really stretching the limits of probability! It's all in a days work for the police and why on earth would they need flame retardent gear when protesters were so considerately spraying around all that urine around??
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:54   #840
Flyboy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,375
Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one
Re: Students Rioting in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I think you've missed a great deal. There was evidence given to a Parliament committee a few days after the riot where the ONE officer missing shoulder numbers was explained and accepted.
Not that I disbelieve you, but could you tell me when and which select committee it was (or, if possible, could you post a link, it might save some time), so that I can have a look at the conclusions, it might give further insight.

Quote:
I think there is a huge difference between an obvious joke and urging violent resistance. Still you have previous for being able to understand jokes so I'll let it slip for now.
Don't you think it is unprofessional to behave in this way?

Quote:
I saw a video clip of ONE officer out of several thousand not wearing shoulder epaulettes. I'll let you into a secret, not every item of clothing issued to police officers has numbers attached to it. Officers typically have two or three sets to be moved between jackets.
Then the officer had plenty of opportunity to dress properly.

Quote:
If the order was given to change quickly from hi-viz to flame retardant than I think it's entirely possible an officer might not switch their numbers over if they are distracted by petrol bombs being chucked in their general direction by some jolly students.
Is that what happened? I suppose a look at the select committee's report will confirm this. But then, apparently every other single officer who was there, was able to comply with their obligations, all except this one single lone, perhaps, dare I say, "rogue" officer.

A quick question for you; does a police officer have an obligation to identify themselves, if asked by a member of the public?
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:56.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum