Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with Dynamode router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems with Dynamode router

Old 15-08-2008, 19:38   #16
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Problems with Dynamode router

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseMick View Post
not got a clue what you are on about... "talk" to it??
if you open a browser and enter that address you should get a connection to the control panel within the router.

This page should give you some insight into the process:

http://portforward.com/english/route...04/default.htm

As you will see, when you connect to the router it shows you a control panel where you can adjust various internal settings.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2008, 16:03   #17
ScouseMick
Inactive

ScouseMick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi David,
My router must be the shy retiring type, because i cannot talk to it. i tried with and without the router connected. i just get the page cannot be found page.
Mick
ScouseMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 17:06   #18
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

You begin to understand why I won't have Norton/Symantec products on any of my machines...

Disable Firewall.

click this:

http://192.168.1.1
Old 17-08-2008, 17:32   #19
ScouseMick
Inactive

ahhhh bingo..
ok so am now talking to the router, what do i say to it? or what am i looking for here?
cheers
Mick
Old 17-08-2008, 20:06   #20
Dai
Inactive

Hi Mick. Looks like we're making some headway if you can get to the router control panel.
I'd be interested to know if you can get to the panel with the Norton firewall ON.

I'm still inclined to think it's a firewall issue so confirmation on that would be useful.

If you can get to the control panel with the firewall both on and off then I guess the next move would be to run the setup wizard in the router to make sure all the necessary settings such as DNS addresses are in place.
Old 17-08-2008, 23:21   #21
ScouseMick
Inactive

Hi David
i can get that control panel up with the firewall on and off. the info is as follows

wan status
Connection Type DHCP
Physical Address 08-10-73-0a-71-bb
DHCP Lease timer 0 Sec Lease timer 0
WAN IP Address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 0.0.0.0
Primary DNS IP 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS IP 0.0.0.0

lan status
Physical Address 08-10-73-0a-71-ba
LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server ON

wireless status
Wireless Enabled
Connection Disconnected
MAC 08-10-73-0a-71-ba
Radio Band 802.11b/g
SSID default
Channel 6
Mode AP
Security None

system info
Edition Info APR-M14H-V1.1.14EN, 2006.07.03.16:30.

System Run Time 2 days 1 hours 30 minutes 41 seconds

Type Current NAT Transmit Accumulation Statistic Rate (KB/s)
Received Packets Received Bytes (K) Sent Packets Sent Bytes (K) Upload Download
TCP 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
UDP 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
ICMP 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
OTHER 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
TOTAL 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

i have run the wizard in the router and as far as i can see none of these have changed, both the primary and secondry DNS IP are showing all zero's before and after the wizard.
Mick
Old 18-08-2008, 00:23   #22
Dai
Inactive

WAN IP Address 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway 0.0.0.0
Primary DNS IP 0.0.0.0
Secondary DNS IP 0.0.0.0

It appears that the router is not getting an IP address from the cable modem.

I'd say it's established that the link between your pc and router is working ok so the next thing I would suggest is a stepped power-cycle of the kit to see if you can get an IP for the router.

The usual routine. Power off everything. Then cable modem on first and wait for the lights to settle. Next the router ditto. Finally the pc.

Check this control panel again and see if the router has any IP in the WAN data.
Old 18-08-2008, 01:29   #23
ScouseMick
Inactive

David.......
you are a star, followed your advise and i am now online through the router, logged onto the router and there are ip addresses everywhere. so it all looks fixed, just gotta wait till my son comes home from V tomorrow with his laptop to make sure he can get on with that, but i cant see any reason why not.
cheers mate i owe u a bevvy
Mick

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 ----------

i had tried what i thought was a step power down, but i had always left the pc on just did it with the modem and the router, but left the pc on.. until this time
Old 18-08-2008, 07:07   #24
Dai
Inactive

Excellent news Mick and glad that I could help.

It's frustrating in a way to take a couple of days to sort out a problem like this. In a hands-on situation you could probably track through and fix it in 10 minutes. Still, the important thing is that we got a result.