Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Newsgroups Trial Resumes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Newsgroups Trial Resumes

Old 07-01-2004, 14:53   #1
Pointman
Inactive

Pointman is on a distinguished roadPointman is on a distinguished road
Newsgroups Trial Resumes

Happy New Year, and a big "Thanks" to all of those who have registered as a result of our recent request for potential triallists, the response has been great.

We cannot offer everyone a place on every trial, so we thought it would be worth explaining how we go from here

Sometimes trials are geographically specific which means that we can only invite people to trial in a particular region. Sometimes we have to use completely new Customers (and generally Forum Members aren't completely new Customers). Sometimes we need experienced users (where Forum members may be ideal)

We also need to trial with specific types of service, e.g. Dial Up, or News, and sometimes specific types of Users (for example when we ran the XBOX and PS2 Beta trials).

So please do not feel disappointed if you are not invited on to a specific trial, there will be others which we will continue to announce them, and please be assured that you do remain on our list of willing participants..
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2004, 11:32   #2
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
Re: Proposal for a "Customer" Panel

cheers pointman.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 11:55   #3
bumpy
Inactive

bumpy is an unknown quantity at this point
Newsgroups Trial Resumes

Hello All,

This is for anyone involved in the ntl Newsgroups Trial. If you have not received an email from Trials@ntl.com by the end of today with the details, please mail the same address and advise.

thanks

Bumpy (ntl trials team)
bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 12:26   #4
jimboozer
Inactive

jimboozer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Newsgroups Trial Resumes

Seems excellent speedwise so far - nice n' steady!
Then again we will have to wait until peak time to really find out.

Can I be the first to request alt.binaries.dvd/r?

What are the retention and completion statistics?

Thx NTL your back on my xmas card list.
jimboozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 14:55   #5
havana
Inactive

havana is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Newsgroups Trial Resumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboozer
Seems excellent speedwise so far - nice n' steady!
Then again we will have to wait until peak time to really find out.

What are the retention and completion statistics?

Thx NTL your back on my xmas card list.
As you say so far so good but dvd/r why not go the whole hog dvd,dvdr & dvd.repost
havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 14:59   #6
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboozer
Quote:
Originally Posted by havana
As you say so far so good but dvd/r why not go the whole hog dvd,dvdr & dvd.repost
Its a different NTL department that deals with adding groups to the ntl newsgroups.

here is the email adress

newsgroup.requests@ntlworld.com
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 16:05   #7
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Newsgroups Trial Resumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwesome
Its a different NTL department that deals with adding groups to the ntl newsgroups.

here is the email adress

newsgroup.requests@ntlworld.com
do you think they would ressurect alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.admiralkrag. I never actually managed to get all my fills

cheers

big sinky
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 17:09   #8
Ouch
Inactive

Ouch is on a distinguished roadOuch is on a distinguished road

Speed fine but binary completion is very poor on a.b.comp

I will inform them of this

Cheers

Andy
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 17:16   #9
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsinky
do you think they would ressurect alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.admiralkrag. I never actually managed to get all my fills

cheers

big sinky
Read Post #39
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 18:19   #10
blenky
Inactive

Services: M+ TV, TiVo 500GB, 100 MB BB, Phone
blenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enough

Just had a quick look. First impressions favourable. Retention seems must better and speed is fine.

However haven't yet checked to see if all the groups I usually use are there.

Does anyone know where this is going? Are ntl going to offer a subscrription service or just improve the free one?

Although I'm in the trail I can't remember reading anything about the actual goals of the trials!

Thanks
blenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 21:13   #11
bumpy
Inactive

bumpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky
Just had a quick look. First impressions favourable. Retention seems must better and speed is fine.

However haven't yet checked to see if all the groups I usually use are there.

Does anyone know where this is going? Are ntl going to offer a subscrription service or just improve the free one?

Although I'm in the trail I can't remember reading anything about the actual goals of the trials!

Thanks
To answer Belnky's question, this is purely an exercise in making improvements to existing services. If this trial is sucessful we will look to a full launch shortly after with no additional charges.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)
bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 22:22   #12
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpy
To answer Belnky's question, this is purely an exercise in making improvements to existing services. If this trial is sucessful we will look to a full launch shortly after with no additional charges.

Bumpy (ntl trials team)
thankyou for updating your records, recently, so the email announcing the start of the trial did arrive correctly, for me.

I won't comment in the forum, other than, to say I have all headers downloaded successfully.
Old 15-01-2004, 23:34   #13
Pointman
Inactive

Pointman is on a distinguished roadPointman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
thankyou for updating your records, recently, so the email announcing the start of the trial did arrive correctly, for me.

I won't comment in the forum, other than, to say I have all headers downloaded successfully.
Glad to hear it.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2004, 00:29   #14
blenky
Inactive

Services: M+ TV, TiVo 500GB, 100 MB BB, Phone
blenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpy

Bumpy (ntl trials team)
Thanks for that. If the trial reflects what the service be like when it rolls out - that it retains its current speed and retention period I think everyone will be well pleased.
blenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2004, 00:47   #15
Ouch
Inactive

Ouch is on a distinguished roadOuch is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Newsgroups Trial Resumes

Speed = great

Retention = satisfactory

Binary Completion = terrible

no point in having good speed and retention if the files aren't complete

Edit: I have tried about 10 groups now downloading the most recent 30000 headers from each. 95% of the files aren't complete
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote