Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Quick basic install question....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Quick basic install question....

Old 20-03-2004, 15:58   #1
YOUWIN
Inactive

YOUWIN is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Quick basic install question....

lo all,

my father in law has ordered NTL 150k service and its being installed at the end of the month.

He has a NTL phone line but no longer uses NTL for his digital TV (got rid of it and now uses sky+).

He was told that the price per month £17.99 includes the cable modem.
What i would like to know is how the cable modem connects to the ntl line - is it wired to the box on the outside of his house, or does it just connect into a phone socket?

If it is just to a phone socket, then does it have to be the master socket, or can it be to any phone extension? - i'd like to know this because i can easily run an extension into the bedroom where the PC is located, however the master socket is @ the opposite end of the house and downstairs, which would be a problem

Is there anything else that i should make him aware of before the bloke turns up at the end of the month?

Much obliged,
YW
YOUWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2004, 16:02   #2
Kneebs
Inactive

Kneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really niceKneebs is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Kneebs
Re: Quick basic install question....

It will connect to the same box that the set tob box used to connect to - the installer can/will install another box wherever you want it to be, if necessary
Kneebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2004, 16:03   #3
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi YOUWIN and a great big to the site m8

The cable modem connects to the outside box via a wall box that in turn is connected to the outside box. It has noting to do with the phoneline and will not affect it. The connection is by coax and not telephone/copper pair.

HTH
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 10:46   #4
YOUWIN
Inactive

YOUWIN is an unknown quantity at this point

thx for the swift reply fellas
from your posts i take it that the coax is used between the outside box and the wall box, and that the cable modem has a set length of cable provided to reach the wall box?

I think this will awkward for the installer, he'll have to run coax around the the outside of the house, up to the first floor into the bedroom before fitting the wall box.
There's no way my father in law will allow coax being run inside the house and upstairs.

cheers,
YW
YOUWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 10:49   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

thats about it , should be fun trying to persuad the installer that he is not going run coax up the stairs and around the skirting boards , mind you , get the choccy biccies out and you never know
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 13:45   #6
Death Jester
Inactive

Death Jester is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, when I first had BB installed, the installer didn't do either of those. He drilled a hole in my floor. Through my carpet. Without asking me first.

Ah, ain't ntl great
Death Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 13:59   #7
abailey152
Inactive

Services: 60Mb VM BB Sky+HD
abailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant futureabailey152 has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to abailey152 Send a message via Yahoo to abailey152

Can't complain about my installer. He seemed quite switched on, was polite, and did the job the way I asked. The spotty faced moron (so called technician) who followed him to commission the STB was the problem. He was a right pillock with a big mouth on him. Kept ****ging of the installer guy, although it was patently obvious the installer knew more than him.
abailey152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 14:34   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Jester
Actually, when I first had BB installed, the installer didn't do either of those. He drilled a hole in my floor. Through my carpet. Without asking me first.

Ah, ain't ntl great
He would have been "dicing with death" if he'd done that in my house. Parts of my floors have so many wires and pipes just under the floorboards (the combination of my own and previous owners DIY bodges). Drilling without looking first is really risky.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote