Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Yo-yo Ping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Yo-yo Ping

Old 16-03-2004, 17:26   #1
Death Jester
Inactive

Death Jester is an unknown quantity at this point
Yo-yo Ping

Firsty, let me say nice forums!

Now then, about July of 2003, I had bad ping problems. It was usually very good, around 20-30 on BF1942, but then around 8pm onwards, it would shoot up to well over 5000.

I contacted ntl, and after a lot of fobbing-off, they finally let an engineer come round to check on it.

He checked my connections, but he also let in on a fact: ntl was not paying the engy's to fix the problems, just to come round and check the wires. He also said that they were over-subscribing the servers, which is why the bad ping.

I went back to ntl with this information, and they told me that they were fixing it. 3 months later, my ping seemed ok.

But recently, it has gone bad again. It is not only after 8pm this time though, it is bad all the time. It does not seem to be too bad while running websites, just playing games (though sometimes it fails to load the websites cause it times out).

Anyone know if this is going to be fixed?

Also, are all broadband ISPs like this, or is it just ntl being crappy again?
Oh, and just for the info, my computer specs are:

Windows XP Home
Athlon XP 3000+
120gb Maxtor Hard Drive (7200rpm)
Abit NF7-S Motherboard
Radeon 9800pro (128mb) Graphics Card
Sounblaster Live! 5.1 Soundcard
AOpen CDWR (52x32x52)
Samsung DVD Drive
Sony 3.5" Floppy Drive
1024mb DDR333 MOT 184pin Dimm PC2700 RAM
GlacialTech Igloo 26dbA CPU Cooler
IIYAMA 19" Monitor

600k connection on broadband modem.

I live in the Hertfordshire area (Letchworth).
Death Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2004, 17:32   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: Yo-yo Ping

Hi & Welcome to nthw.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling you are not the only person in the Letchworth area to have these issues.

I have a feeling you come under the Luton umbrella (technically), & that (as you know) is the problem.

Perhaps someone from ntl can shed some light on this for you?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004, 17:34   #3
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

If he comes under the Luton area then the prognosis may not be good.... I know 4 people who consistantly have poo ping's to game servers that live in diferent parts of luton. One of them in Hitchen....

Maybe its time to find another ISP m8..

BTW - to the site
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004, 18:50   #4
Death Jester
Inactive

Yeah, im about 5 mins drive from hitchin. Right on the border between Hitchin/Letchworth.
Old 16-03-2004, 18:54   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

maybe a session with docs diag might be in order , it wont cure it but at least you will be able to see how many ppl are on the same upstream as you , if this is proved to be excessive then you can front ntl with it
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2004, 19:10   #6
Death Jester
Inactive

Yrah, I already started a thread asking about which ISP is good
Old 17-03-2004, 02:12   #7
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

I can only confirm that there's massive oversubscription on the Cheshunt UBR, as I haven't looked at the others in Luton, but I get the feeling that the Hitchin router is the same.

Unfortunately, it's up to the Business Unit to decide on and pay for new UBRs and re-segmentation (I think - though I'm willing to be corrected), so it's them you need to pester. Write to:

ntl Group Ltd
Marlborough House
Wigmore Place
Wigmore Lane
LUTON
LU2 9EX
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote