Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CM Installation Advice Please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CM Installation Advice Please

Old 03-03-2004, 21:34   #1
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Question CM Installation Advice Please

Hi Guys,

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and decided to get BB. I'll be connecting through a CM into a NIC and running Windoze 98SE.

I understand that the nice chappie from NTL (provided I supply plenty of tea and biccies) will install the connection box somewhere near the pooter and will then leave me with a nice shiney disk, a cable modem and a length of cable (?) to connect it all together.

Having some experience with using NTL's fabled software I would (naturally) prefer to fly solo on this one and set it all up myself. Unfortunately I probably don't have much more of a clue than NTL's software does about how to do it.

Is there any chance that someone could provide me with a guide (idiot proof is poss) to how to manually install the CM, get Windoze set up and then register the account (or activate it or whatever the term is) please?

Also, I may be mistaken but I'm sure that the highly trained professional who took my order said that I would be receiving some information regarding the installation in the post, I haven't received it yet though, do I need any of that info in order to get this all set up?

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Cheers,

Raist.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2004, 21:40   #2
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Re: CM Installation Advice Please

Welcome to the forum

Have a look Here on Robin's pages for a talk through it.

You will need a PIN number and user name from your welcome letter to register - if this does not arrive before the engineer ring Customer services.

Welcome too to BB
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 21:46   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Cheers Nikko, I'll give Robin's page a quick look.

Thanks for the welcome also"

Raist.
Old 03-03-2004, 21:49   #4
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

YW mate - actually Robin's pages are worth a long look - see also the info/links on tweaks for W98 - hugely helpful on my old PC running 98
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 21:52   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko
Welcome to the forum

Have a look Here on Robin's pages for a talk through it.

You will need a PIN number and user name from your welcome letter to register - if this does not arrive before the engineer ring Customer services.

Welcome too to BB
Hi Raist from me too

Nikko's post is spot on and the preferred method - if you do have problems with it you can also run the install cd to get connected, then uninstall correct connect
Old 04-03-2004, 08:22   #6
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Raistlin and great big to the site m8

Perhaps the guide on this link may help.

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7603
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:41   #7
wheeliebin
Inactive

wheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Hi Guys,

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and decided to get BB. I'll be connecting through a CM into a NIC and running Windoze 98SE.

I understand that the nice chappie from NTL (provided I supply plenty of tea and biccies) will install the connection box somewhere near the pooter and will then leave me with a nice shiney disk, a cable modem and a length of cable (?) to connect it all together.

Having some experience with using NTL's fabled software I would (naturally) prefer to fly solo on this one and set it all up myself. Unfortunately I probably don't have much more of a clue than NTL's software does about how to do it.

Is there any chance that someone could provide me with a guide (idiot proof is poss) to how to manually install the CM, get Windoze set up and then register the account (or activate it or whatever the term is) please?

Also, I may be mistaken but I'm sure that the highly trained professional who took my order said that I would be receiving some information regarding the installation in the post, I haven't received it yet though, do I need any of that info in order to get this all set up?

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Cheers,

Raist.
More info here too
Manual Installation of NTL broadband

Now you surely cant go wrong.....
wheeliebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:43   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: CM Installation Advice Please

Nikko,

Thanks once again mate.

homealone & Stuartbe,

Thanks for the help guys (and the welcome). Really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Raist.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:49   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

wheeliebin

Cheers mate. You're a star too!

Raist.