Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Where do I find my email servers DNS?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Where do I find my email servers DNS?

Old 17-02-2004, 11:11   #1
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Where do I find my email servers DNS?

Taken from http://pacon.free.fr/tips.html & http://welcome.to/autosend
Quote:
For people who do not want to use their isp smtp server, they can use the built-in SMTP server in Autosend. Just check the "Use in priority the built-in SMTP server" box of the SMTP properties and give your DNS server address. With this information, Autosend can deliver any mail directly to the recipient mailbox. If the built-in SMTP server does not work Autosend will try to send the mail through the SMTP server given in the SMTP properties pane. Sending a mail through the built-in SMTP server can be longer (if there is a problem it will retry...).
Does anyone know if this means that it will not fill up my mailbox & if so where do I find the DNS address?

Clueless..
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2004, 11:14   #2
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Where do I find my email servers DNS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
Taken from http://pacon.free.fr/tips.html & http://welcome.to/autosend

Does anyone know if this means that it will not fill up my mailbox & if so where do I find the DNS address?

Clueless..
If you are on NTL :-

smtp.ntlworld.com - 62.253.162.40
pop.ntlworld.com - 62.253.162.50

HTH
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 12:53   #3
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Thankyou.

Now what does this mean to me?

Will emails sent via this not now appear in my online mailbox, thereby bypassing any limits?
Old 17-02-2004, 13:02   #4
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thankyou.

Now what does this mean to me?

Will emails sent via this not now appear in my online mailbox, thereby bypassing any limits?
I dont know about the software and the mailbox but the above are the dns and ip's of the ntl mailserver...

I am not realy sure of what you are after
Old 17-02-2004, 14:38   #5
zoombini
Inactive

What I am after is getting at his program to poll an email server, when it receives an email with a filename in the subject, then email back the file.

However, while doing this, if someone hammers it I do not want to be getting told off by NTL for filling my mailbox etc.

The quote at the top message mentioned something about using the server & given that I dont know what its on about I wanted it clarifying by someone who knows more about this stuff than simple ol me...

Cheers,
Zoombini.
Old 17-02-2004, 14:39   #6
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Erm filesharing via e-mail is a VERY BAD IDEA IMHO. Sending large files via SMTP is only going to clog the bleedin' mail system up and lead to delayed mails. Whichever bright spark thought of this idea should be shot.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 14:48   #7
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser
Erm filesharing via e-mail is a VERY BAD IDEA IMHO. Sending large files via SMTP is only going to clog the bleedin' mail system up and lead to delayed mails. Whichever bright spark thought of this idea should be shot.
I agree m8 - SMTP = Server Mail transfer protocol - ftp = File Transfer Protocol...... Does that not tell them something....
Old 17-02-2004, 16:47   #8
zoombini
Inactive

But it can split them up into small files so no large emails.
Given the amount of SPAM thats flying around, what I have is miniscule in comparison.

My problem is that I have 10gb+ of files to share & I dont want to be using an open to all P2P program.

With these email filesharing programs I can set a limit on who, what & how much can be downloaded thereby preventing massive leeching & email clogging up.
The user does not have to install any programs etc.

I can just have a textual website, detailing the contents & the filename & an email (mailto) link from it. Heck I can even do that from my NTL space.
The bulk of the files kept on my own PC & served from there.
Old 17-02-2004, 17:31   #9
Frank
cf.mega poster

Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Er....FTP???? FILE transfer protocol. This can be secured unlike P2P.
Old 17-02-2004, 23:16   #10
zoombini
Inactive

I cannot use FTP.
I need to be bale to access my files from work & I am behind a intranet/firewall & only have port 80 open for HTTP use.
So I either have my PC running the website & I acess it direct thorough a webpage or something or I use this.

Given the number of people that will have access I doubt I will clog the email system.
Old 17-02-2004, 23:49   #11
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I cannot use FTP.
I need to be bale to access my files from work & I am behind a intranet/firewall & only have port 80 open for HTTP use.
So I either have my PC running the website & I acess it direct thorough a webpage or something or I use this.

Given the number of people that will have access I doubt I will clog the email system.
Even if you have port 80 open it will need to be mapped to your pc as an incoming connection.

If you can do that why cant you map an ftp to your pc and restrict access via ip ???
Old 17-02-2004, 23:59   #12
Frank
cf.mega poster

Or you could just run an FTP server on port 80?
Old 18-02-2004, 11:24   #13
zoombini
Inactive

AFAIKR, I CANNOT use FTP.

At work.
I have been told specifically that I CANNOT USE FTP.
Even if its only on port 80.
FTP is blocked.

There, does that make it clearer now.
I need options other than FTP to transfer some files.
Although I have 10gb of them available, I may only want 10mb a day & then only once a month etc.
They are schematic diagrams & service manuals etc for all sorts of electronic equipment & I want to be able to share these files with a small group of people
(fellow electronic engineers) who are unlikey to need more than 1 file every now & then.
I really want to set the system up to use this email option initially..
Old 18-02-2004, 11:36   #14
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
AFAIKR, I CANNOT use FTP.

At work.
I have been told specifically that I CANNOT USE FTP.
Even if its only on port 80.
FTP is blocked.

There, does that make it clearer now.
I need options other than FTP to transfer some files.
Although I have 10gb of them available, I may only want 10mb a day & then only once a month etc.
They are schematic diagrams & service manuals etc for all sorts of electronic equipment & I want to be able to share these files with a small group of people
(fellow electronic engineers) who are unlikey to need more than 1 file every now & then.
I really want to set the system up to use this email option initially..
A fire wall cannot see the trafic on a port when port forwarding is used. If you have port 80 mapped to your pc then you could in fact use pop,smtp,imap,web,TS,ftp,tftp......you get the idea.....

The port is mearly the method of the connection - It does not dictate the type of trafic that can be used on it !!!!
Old 18-02-2004, 12:27   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
I agree m8 - SMTP = Server Mail transfer protocol - ftp = File Transfer Protocol...... Does that not tell them something....
Ok, picky time - It's Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

Back on topic - I would think it highly unlikely that any firm is going to map incoming ports to a users pc.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote