Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1GB Cap Letter!!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Old 17-02-2004, 08:51   #1
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age
1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Before I post the whole letter I received this morning, has this been discussed elsewhere? I couldnt find anything recent(ish).

Acathla
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2004, 08:53   #2
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla
Before I post the whole letter I received this morning, has this been discussed elsewhere? I couldnt find anything recent(ish).

Acathla
Lotts of places - show us the letter please
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 09:00   #3
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Sorry no scannerbut it goes like this:

Internet a/c # xxxxxxxx
Cable Modem Mac Address: †˜xxxxxxxxxxxxÃÂà ‚¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã¢ââ⠀šÂ¬Ã…¾Ã‚¢

Dear Mr xxxxxx

We are writing to you because, unfortunately, some of our broadband customers in your area have been experiencing deterioration in the service we offer them. We have found that this is most often caused by a small number of our broadband customers who are continually uploading and downloading extremely large files, which has a detrimental effect on the network.

In order to ensure that we are able to offer all out customers a great broadband service we would like to remind you that we recommend that everyone reduces their daily level of activity to 1 gigabyte a day. This is the equivalent of downloading approximately 200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or around 100 software programmes per day. Our systems show us that recently you have been exceeding this level and we would like to remind you of the relevant section in the ntlworld User Policy.

Goes on to list clause h) in AUP

Please, for the sake of all our broadband customers, reduce the downstream bandwidth utilised through your cable modem to no more than 1GB per day. We would hate to have to impose restrictions on you but we are determined to offer all our broadband customers the best possible service.

If you are running and sort of ftp/web server or other applications, such as file sharing programs, please ensure that you follow the guidance we set out in the User Policy. For some advice on how best to achieve this please refer to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bandwidthadvice.

Thank you in advance for you co-operation in this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact the Broadband Support Team on 01792 614432 between the hours of 08:00 to 18:00 if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Yours sincerely,

Donald Melrose
Internet Customer Care Team
Old 17-02-2004, 09:02   #4
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Soooo - I have now seen one in the flesh - so to speak...

What do you all think ?
Old 17-02-2004, 09:17   #5
Inactive

Avatar has a spectacular aura about themAvatar has a spectacular aura about themAvatar has a spectacular aura about themAvatar has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to Avatar Send a message via AIM to Avatar Send a message via MSN to Avatar Send a message via Yahoo to Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Soooo - I have now seen one in the flesh - so to speak...

What do you all think ?
yes the ironie of a 24/7 BB conection with a 1 Gb cap, i reach just under a gig just by running TS2 server and web servers, with some gaming on top and a few downloads ive broken a gig, and this is not by mass downloading warez or any such crap. whats the point in 1Mb lines when there is a bw cap?
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 09:19   #6
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
yes the ironie of a 24/7 BB conection with a 1 Gb cap, i reach just under a gig just by running TS2 server and web servers, with some gaming on top and a few downloads ive broken a gig, and this is not by mass downloading warez or any such crap. whats the point in 1Mb lines when there is a bw cap?
You think that the cap should be higher or that there should not be one at all ?

P.S. Check your PM
Old 17-02-2004, 09:48   #7
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome
Smile Re: 1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
1gb is easily reached with NTL 1meg BB especially if your downloading Linux & of course if your 1mb is running correctly

NTL have alot of BB customers paying £17.99, £24.99 & £34.99 each month, its a real shame that NTL are not investing in their BB network to such that their customers dont need to complain about bandwidth, oversubscription problems & the imposed 1mb cap restriction.

I personally think the cap was introduced as an excuse to save NTL not splashing out much needed money for their BB network so it can be directed to the NTL powers that be back pockets, its a pity they dont have a cap on their wages.
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 10:00   #8
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

This is just the reason I have been complaining for soo long about not being able to monitor my downloads and uploads. I have two teenagers sharing this connection and no way of knowing what they are downloading due to NTL blocking my access on the SACM. C&W area is not allowed to access for any reason so why can't NTL put it up on a website that the customer has to log in on using their user name and password to view the graphs..

Come on its only fair NTL want to cap it then allow customers the right to view what they have already used!!!!!
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 10:10   #9
Optiplex

Hi

Wellllll if they send me a letter goodbye NTL hello bt sky and bulldog.
Old 17-02-2004, 10:16   #10
Acathla
cf.mega poster

I'm not going to sudenly pack up and leave NTL as I have been happy with the BB service provided so far.

I have already left them for Sky due to the poor TV service but treat the BB seperately. I have written back and said that I would work with them to find a reasonable resolution but setting download limits is NOT reasonable.

We'll see
Old 17-02-2004, 10:37   #11
Optiplex

Just a point i wonder if any AOL BB customers who use the ntl network will get a letter.
Old 17-02-2004, 10:41   #12
Acathla
cf.mega poster

I would be interested to hear if any1 else got one of these this morning and it wasnt just me!
Old 17-02-2004, 10:56   #13
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

How ironic the letter doesn't actually tell you either:

1) HOW to monitor your downloads; and
2) HOW MUCH bandwidth you have used in order to get the letter

If I got one of those letters I would want answers to both the above questions from ntl.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 10:58   #14
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser
How ironic the letter doesn't actually tell you either:

1) HOW to monitor your downloads; and
2) HOW MUCH bandwidth you have used in order to get the letter

If I got one of those letters I would want answers to both the above questions from ntl.
You could smell this thread from a mile away couldn't you m8
Old 17-02-2004, 10:58   #15
blue jammer
Inactive

blue jammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Acathla What area are you in, just out of interest?

And this was snail mail rather than e-mail? I think that is quite odd...
blue jammer is offline   Reply With Quote