Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Your own web server for free !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Your own web server for free !

Old 12-02-2004, 19:34   #1
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Your own web server for free !

How to run your own web server for free --

First you need to make sure that all of the windows security updates
are installed and that you have a firewall and antivirus software installed.
This is VITAL to the protection of your system and can not be overstated.
If you do not know what a firewall or antivirus package is I dont recomend
that you proceed further.

The next step is to download a web server - there is a very good free
one at http://www.aprelium.com . Once you have downloaded the
software and installed it( there is a free support forum should you need it)
you then need to have a way that people can find your web page.
You can do this for free at www.no-ip.org . Register and choose a domain
name. You can even use your own for a small fee. Once you have registered
you will be able to download the no-ip client. This small program will update
the no-ip name servers when your ip address changes. I have several accounts
set up with them so I can offer help with the the setup of the software.

You now need to make your site available, depending on your firewall this is
done in diferent ways but all you need to do is allow incoming packets to
port 80. If you have a router you need to create a port mapping to the
computer that is running the web server. Do NOT put the web server on the
dmz as this can put your system at risk.

The web server software can be run as a service if you have windows 2000
or XP. You need to go into sheduled tasks in the control pannel. Create a
new task and browse to the abys web server .exe file. Select run at system
startup and deselect the stop after 72 hours tick box. The next time your
system is started the web server will run silently in the background. I can give
further advice on this if you need it.

The very last thing to do is to create your website. Keep the website clean and
tidy and you will get lots of hits. Dont forget that you only have a limited amount
of upload so large video's and music files are a no no. If you want to host large
files I would advise you get an account with I web solutions. They are cheap and
reliable. Further details are available at http://www.i-websolutions.co.uk

Running your own website is fun and informative but can have implications
attached to it. If you are not sure about something please please post and
ask. None of us bite and we will be glad to help.
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2004, 20:40   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Your own web server for free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
The next step is to download a web server - there is a very good free
one at http://www.aprelium.com .
If you have Windows 2000 or XP they already have IIS don't they ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 20:43   #3
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
If you have Windows 2000 or XP they already have IIS don't they ?
IMO Abyss is smaller and more secure - the amount of patches that users of IIS have to keep up with is scary. I could have used IIS but I prefer abyss and apache. Much more secure IMO
Old 12-02-2004, 20:48   #4
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

When I read that first post I thought "Abyss?? What's wrong with Apache?" but I checked out the website and I think you made a good choice there - fast, small and minimal features to get started with a basic site.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 20:50   #5
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
When I read that first post I thought "Abyss?? What's wrong with Apache?" but I checked out the website and I think you made a good choice there - fast, small and minimal features to get started with a basic site.
Very tasty it is... Run it without the cgi enabled and it is pretty much rock solid. I spent a week attacking it once and only found one floor that they fixed on the last release......

Though apache is better I think abyss is better for first time users !
Old 12-02-2004, 21:12   #6
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze age
Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age

I think I'll have a bash at this sometime

p.s. nice plug to I-Web solutions btw
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 10:18   #7
UK1Liam
Inactive

UK1Liam is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UK1Liam Send a message via MSN to UK1Liam

I am running a small home "server" It's using Win 2000, with IIS (that';s gotta be patched to hell)

I did try Apache but got sick of editing the Conf file, so threw it half way through, i'm sure apache will scare off a lot of first time users with that. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty secure and very stable.

There are a few other ones, simple serve and Abyss etc, i haven't tried these.. but they probably do the same job for simple work. The best thing about hosting your own Website is that you have unlimited amount of space, all the bandwidth your ISP can take and you can post whatever the hell ya want
UK1Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 10:38   #8
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
How to run your own web server for free --

The very last thing to do is to create your website. Keep the website clean and
tidy and you will get lots of hits. Dont forget that you only have a limited amount
of upload so large video's and music files are a no no. If you want to host large
files I would advise you get an account with I web solutions. They are cheap and
reliable. Further details are available at http://www.i-websolutions.co.uk
Stuart, why is your upload limited when running your own web server?
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 10:54   #9
willie
cf.geek

Services: VM 200mb VM Phone M
willie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these partswillie is just so famous around these parts
Send a message via MSN to willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor
Stuart, why is your upload limited when running your own web server?
Because if you are with NTL your BW is capped
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 17:38   #10
UK1Liam
Inactive

Is our BW really capped though? I heard something about it being capped to 1Gb a day, but I have often downloaded and uploaded alot more than that and heard nothing from NTL at all?
Old 14-02-2004, 19:39   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Junkie
Because if you are with NTL your BW is capped
It has nothing to do with any "cap". If you are running a web server on your connection then the maximum speed at which others can load stuff from you is your upstream speed, which is only either 128k or 256k (or 64k ?) depending on what package you are on.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 21:35   #12
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
It has nothing to do with any "cap". If you are running a web server on your connection then the maximum speed at which others can load stuff from you is your upstream speed, which is only either 128k or 256k (or 64k ?) depending on what package you are on.
Pem is spot on

The problem is not a cap its the upload speed (256k) on a 1mb service.

This is why I recomended hosting with I-web if you want to host music/videos or if you get more than 3/4 peeps connecting at the same time....
Old 15-02-2004, 22:05   #13
UK1Liam
Inactive

I only host my own site and don't get too many visitors, it works for me.
Old 19-02-2004, 01:46   #14
Starsurfer
Permanently Banned

Starsurfer is an unknown quantity at this point

I know your trying to help and all, but wouldnt you be better of getting all the php stuff and mysql as well, for it to run stably you would need 4-5 computers for a stable setup
Starsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 09:38   #15
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsurfer
I know your trying to help and all, but wouldnt you be better of getting all the php stuff and mysql as well, for it to run stably you would need 4-5 computers for a stable setup
The guide is so that users can get some experience of how a web server works and have a bit of fun at the same time. I dont think that covering php ect is the way to go on this - besides... I am no web scripter !

BTW - where do 4-5 computers come into it ?