Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | USB to Ethernet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

USB to Ethernet

Old 06-07-2003, 11:16   #1
birchyboy
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media STB; telephone and 10Mb broadband
birchyboy is on a distinguished roadbirchyboy is on a distinguished road
Question USB to Ethernet

I have a CNet Pro200 100/10Mbps ethernet card. I followed the advice on Robin Walker's site for USB to ethernet, but I can't get it to connect.

Rebooted the ntl:home 100 with the ethernet cable in place insted of USB and when stabilised, turned the PC back on.

I expected it to get a new MAC address automatically and winipcfg tells me it has one, but nothing's going up or down the pipe. I tried releasing and renewing the DHCP lease, but I don't get a "lease expires" date.

I have Sygate Pro and tried setting to "Allow all" in case that was a problem. All the other TPC/IP settings are the same as with USB.

Where am I going wrong?
birchyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2003, 11:18   #2
imback
Inactive

imback will become famous soon enoughimback will become famous soon enoughimback will become famous soon enough
Are you getting a valid IP address? Valid would start with 62, 80, 81, or 213.

Are you getting a enet light on modem?
imback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:26   #3
birchyboy
cf.member

No valid IP address, but all the lights on the modem are OK. Enet, ready, sync, D/S all flashing and and power steady.
It all works fine when I reverse the process and run USB again (but with USB light not Enet).
Old 06-07-2003, 12:32   #4
imback
Inactive

imback will become famous soon enoughimback will become famous soon enoughimback will become famous soon enough
Is the nic installed in DM OK? Try yet another lengthy re boot of the Pc and modem? It sounds like the nic though, you have already done a re boot, and you get nic light on modem so shows the nic port on modem is OK.

Does your IP start with 169 or 192?

If it's 192 then it is set to use that IP in tcp/ip properties maybe?
Old 06-07-2003, 15:40   #5
birchyboy
cf.member

The IP starts with 169. By way of an experiment, I tried to run the ntl installer for ethernet and it got nearly all the way, but then said it couldn't connect to the DHCP server.

My firewall (set to "allow all") showed four peaks on send and four on receive, but still couldn't make contact with the DHCP server, which is presumably why I'm not getting an IP address. I tried putting the existing DHCP server address into the Win98 Control Panel network settings. Still zilch.

As an irritating aside, Windows no longer shuts down properly.

It could be worse - the USB might have gone wobbly too ...
Old 06-07-2003, 16:05   #6
darkangel
Inactive

darkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the rough
why are u not conecting directly to usb?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 16:19   #7
birchyboy
cf.member

darkangel - I had a new, boxed, nic given to me (has good reviews) and I read on a forum that several members swapped to ethernet and they were both faster and more stable.

Doesn't seem to be that way in my case, so for the time being, it looks like USB or nothing.
Old 06-07-2003, 16:47   #8
darkangel
Inactive

darkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by birchyboy
darkangel - I had a new, boxed, nic given to me (has good reviews) and I read on a forum that several members swapped to ethernet and they were both faster and more stable.

Doesn't seem to be that way in my case, so for the time being, it looks like USB or nothing.
if u have a stbm then Ethernet is the best option, do u have a modem or stb
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 18:03   #9
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem
Quote:
Originally posted by birchyboy
No valid IP address, but all the lights on the modem are OK. Enet, ready, sync, D/S all flashing and and power steady...
Just to confirm, the 'SYNC' & 'RDY' lights should be steady not flashing.

darkangel he has a ntl:home100 cable modem.
Old 06-07-2003, 18:25   #10
birchyboy
cf.member

Thanks for the feedback folks. It is an Ambit ntl:home 100 and the SYNC and RDY are actually steady not flashing.

I have now removed the CNet ethernet card and the Windows Control Panel CNet fast ethernet components and the PC now shuts down properly.

I know I can't have an ethernet and USB connection to one IP address, but I didn't think I needed to remove the USB network components.

Might it be my incorrect installation of the CNet card?
Old 06-07-2003, 21:32   #11
philip.j.fry
Inactive

philip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
philip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
Tried posting this earlier but it seems not to have shown up...but anyway:

What I think the problem is is that your MAC address (this is an individual number that is bound to you e'net card) on your lan card is not registered with NTL so the dhcp server is denying your request for an IP. You need to go to the online registration site (or ring cs i suppose) and add the MAC address to your account details. I think that might solve the problem for you.
philip.j.fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 22:13   #12
imback
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by philip.j.fry
Tried posting this earlier but it seems not to have shown up...but anyway:

What I think the problem is is that your MAC address (this is an individual number that is bound to you e'net card) on your lan card is not registered with NTL
Stand Alone Cable Modems don't have to worry about this, as long as they power off the modem, it would be fine.

It sounds like the etherent card mate, ethernet is not always the best choice, what works is the best choice.
Old 06-07-2003, 22:31   #13
wheeliebin
Inactive

wheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by imback
Stand Alone Cable Modems don't have to worry about this, as long as they power off the modem, it would be fine.

It sounds like the etherent card mate, ethernet is not always the best choice, what works is the best choice.
Try putting the card into a different slot.

Confirm that the ETH light is light on the modem

the fact that you have a 169 means you are not getting to the modem from the PC.

OBV reboot the modem

try my site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jayone/main.htm
The trouble shooting section covers switching from USB to etherent
wheeliebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 22:32   #14
ppolo99
cf.member

Services: 10mbit ntl:
ppolo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you uninstalled the old Ethernet-to-USB device properly?

ALSO
is USB better with STB?? i switched to Ethernet but now i realised i cant get FXP'ed.
ppolo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 22:40   #15
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age
I have no idea what "FXP'd" means, but USB is never better than ethernet. Ever. Think about it, the STB connection is ethernet, how can it be better to use an adaptor than plugging it in to the connection it was designed for?
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote