Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How do cable boxes work ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How do cable boxes work ?

Old 04-07-2003, 00:35   #1
edgerobber
Inactive

edgerobber is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the title says it all - I was wondering how that not so little black box works.
I have seen some mention of the workings in other threads, but I wanted an overall picture (non pixellated )
Some more specific random questions are :[list=1][*]Why does it put out so much heat ? - I know that any electronic equipment will get hot and it is passively cooled and all, but it does seem to get a bit hotter than my hifi kit.[*]How much power does it use ? The specs say 30W max, but anyone have any idea what the typical usage is ?[*]What does the power button actually turn off ?[/list=1]
cheers
edgerobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 00:44   #2
Mike Harrison
Inactive

Mike Harrison is on a distinguished roadMike Harrison is on a distinguished road
1) Digi cable boxes contain a huge amount of processing power to decompress the video stream. This takes power, most of which ends up as heat. There is also quite a lot of hogh-frequency analogue stuff in the front-end which takes a not-insignificant amount of power The need to build down to a price instead of up to an efficiency spec means they produce more heat than they could theoretically be made to, and don't dissipate it as well as they could.
2) ISTR about 20 watts when I measured one a while ago
3) Almost nothing - just toggles the select line on the TV SCART , turns off the UHF output and the display. Makes negligible difference to power consumption.
Mike Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:08   #3
edgerobber
Inactive

thanks - I thought that the power button didn't do much.
It seems a bit odd that the box doesn't have a standby mode, but it would probably be a "luxury" they costed out of the design.
I suppose the design to cost thing also explains the size of the boxes.
I wonder if there will be a complete cable tuner/decoder on a chip ?
Old 04-07-2003, 14:44   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Quote:
Originally posted by edgerobber
It seems a bit odd that the box doesn't have a standby mode, but it would probably be a "luxury" they costed out of the design.
Not a luxury. The box needs to keep running to keep the EPG data up to date and keep the smartcard active. It means you can use the box immediately after coming out of standby. And it can wake up when reminders go off so you can make recordings. And it can look for software updates. And you can still use broadband. etc...

Quote:

I suppose the design to cost thing also explains the size of the boxes.
The older models are full of components. And a big box helps with the cooling.

Quote:

I wonder if there will be a complete cable tuner/decoder on a chip ?
Possibly, but two chips makes more sense. Then the same decoder can also be used in satellite and terrestrial boxes.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 15:06   #5
bob_a_builder

well now I'm confused - standby or not to standby

Quote:
Originally posted by edgerobber
It seems a bit odd that the box doesn't have a standby mode
yet

Quote:
Originally posted by spiderplant
It means you can use the box immediately after coming out of standby
Make your mind up !
Old 04-07-2003, 16:16   #6
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of
I've seen a few posts about boxes getting so hot.

How comes a Sky Digital box doesnt get hot? Must be very similar technology used to decode the pictures. Mine never even gets warm at all.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 16:37   #7
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Quote:
Intermittently in NTL's case.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 16:41   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by zoombini
Intermittently in NTL's case.
Well someone had to say it ... lol
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 19:50   #9
Proppinupthebar

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeyB
I've seen a few posts about boxes getting so hot.

How comes a Sky Digital box doesnt get hot? Must be very similar technology used to decode the pictures. Mine never even gets warm at all.
The cable box has two demodulators, one for the broadcast pictures etc and one for the return path, then also two modulators one for the RF feed of pictures to your TV, the other for sending back the return path info to the headend.

I think the modulators generate most of the heat.
Old 04-07-2003, 20:17   #10
darkangel
Inactive

darkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the rough
I Think that one of ntl's biggest problem is that pace cut corners, didn't specify adequate cooling how much of that is down to ntl I've no idea how many faults are caused by over heating boxes or dodgy eproms the die during updates etc must be quite a high number
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 21:53   #11
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age
The usual figure quoted is that 1% of boxes die after every software update.

Don't know how many get fried because of overheating though. I wonder if if's possible to open the thing up and add one of those silent PC fans?
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 00:16   #12
edgerobber
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
[B I wonder if if's possible to open the thing up and add one of those silent PC fans? [/B]
Methinks Ntl wouldn't be too happy if you did that !!

Quote:
Originally posted by spiderplant
Not a luxury. The box needs to keep running to keep the EPG data up to date and keep the smartcard active. It means you can use the box immediately after coming out of standby. And it can wake up when reminders go off so you can make recordings. And it can look for software updates. And you can still use broadband. etc...[/B]
I see what you mean, but even then things like the video decompression could be turned off (unless the epg is extracted from that ..) . I think what I really was driving at was that it should be to design a cable box that would use minimal power, while still keeping the basic functions active. For example it could be possible to have just one demodulator active and have it wake up the rest of the box (or even only the necessary parts) when the epg needed updating or smartcard checking etc.
To be honest I don't know, I just like bouncing ideas around.

Does anyone feel like doing some sort of simple schematic of how a box works ?

Plus - if the epg is on my cable box then why is it soooo slow ?
Old 05-07-2003, 17:28   #13
ppolo99
cf.member

Services: 10mbit ntl:
ppolo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant they shove a fan in like a PC.

Suppose mabye more problems that may now i think of it.
ppolo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 17:54   #14
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Quote:
Originally posted by ppolo99
Cant they shove a fan in like a PC.

Suppose mabye more problems that may now i think of it.
bearings go, fan rumbles, causes complaints etc

Now I wonder if you could take one of those huge AGP heat sinks and put it inside...
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 17:56   #15
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
maybe they should install that huge fan/exhaust system they showed on the new geforce card
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote