Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oil Filled radiators

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Oil Filled radiators

Old 11-01-2004, 11:54   #1
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Question Oil Filled radiators

Has anyone used one of these? - My sister-in-law is looking to replace the old electric convection heaters in her flat - either with new electric ones - or possibly oil filled radiators.

Having had a quick look the oil filled radiator looks a better bet - it's more expensive to buy, but having read the blurbs it seems to be cheaper to run, gives out more heat, and so on.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2004, 11:58   #2
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star
Re: Oil Filled radiators

I have a couple of these at home, once they have warmed up they hold their heat really well - hence the economy thing I guess.

They both have thermostat switches which helps too.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:02   #3
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

I take it there is no real danger of the oil leaking?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:06   #4
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star

They are supposed to be sealed for life afaik. Mine are years old, a bit chipped etc. but have never leaked.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:10   #5
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Do they get hot like a 'proper' radiator does? i.e. if someone is stupid enough to put their hand on a radiator in full flow they get a nasty burn - but I was looking at some models and they talk about staying cool enough to touch?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:35   #6
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey
Do they get hot like a 'proper' radiator does? i.e. if someone is stupid enough to put their hand on a radiator in full flow they get a nasty burn - but I was looking at some models and they talk about staying cool enough to touch?
A radiator that's cool enough to touch? Unless they mean there's some kind of surround on it so you can move it about that's cool enough, but I can't imagine the radiator itself being cool .. you may as well use a lump of metal on wheels in it's place.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:40   #7
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

On the maximum setting I wouldn't leave my hand on there for long I must admit.

I very rarely use the highest setting though.

Not too sure about a " cool touch " version, must be as Bifta says - a protective panel around the radiator with convectors inside and a vent at the top.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:43   #8
luftys
Inactive

luftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey
Has anyone used one of these? - My sister-in-law is looking to replace the old electric convection heaters in her flat - either with new electric ones - or possibly oil filled radiators.

Having had a quick look the oil filled radiator looks a better bet - it's more expensive to buy, but having read the blurbs it seems to be cheaper to run, gives out more heat, and so on.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?
We have a couple at work,they are very good and safe,any thing can be Dangerous used the wrong way,and in the wrong place
I work in a school for 5 to 11 year olds,so we have to be safe
luftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:55   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have one in our conservatory as it gets rather cool at night (at this time of year) - they are perfectly safe and do get very hot if you set them high enough.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote