Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | why people use ntl

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

why people use ntl

Old 03-01-2004, 02:38   #1
xathras

Services: Family Pack Digital TV with PremiershipPlus Season Ticket. 10Mb Broadband Talk 24 Unlimited Teleph
why people use ntl

What gets me why do people actually use ntl, if there is so much customer dissatisfaction then surely all customers will be switching to alternatives

Have I missed something?
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2004, 02:59   #2
Sociable
Inactive

Sociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation era
Re: why people use ntl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xathras
What gets me why do people actually use ntl, if there is so much customer dissatisfaction then surely all customers will be switching to alternatives

Have I missed something?
OK a few possibilities spring to mind:

1. Not everyone has suitable alternatives. (Yet)

2. Most people actually believe they are getting what they pay for but are not always aware when they are not, sites like this help to point out the level of service they should be getting and provide help to ensure they do.

3. Some people actually think it is worth working to try and improve the services of the company they are already with rather than swapping at the first sign of problems.

4. NTL as a company need to take account of points 1 to 3 or ultimately your prediction could eventually become an increasing reality.

Oh and welcome to NTHW btw

This is a site that doesnt just moan but actually tries to gain improvements in NTL's services for the benefit of both us and them. So welcome aboard
Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:05   #3
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Have I missed something?
Hi xathras, Welcome to the site.

People can actually enjoy their services from ntl, its just that sometimes the customer service isn't all what it should be. Promised phonecalls that never happen, arranged installations and the engineer fails to show up etc. Some customers have gone through hell with ntl, yet still want to remain a customer. For instance a woman who I will not name, in a problem I had dealt with on .com, had to pay up front £125 to become a customer, ntl wanted a security deposit because she moved into a house where the previous occupants were bad payers. Weeks went by and she still had not received any notification (after paying the deposit weeks earlier) if she could become a customer or not yet she still wanted the services from ntl.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:04   #4
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Plummer
Hi xathras, Welcome to the site.

People can actually enjoy their services from ntl, its just that sometimes the customer service isn't all what it should be. Promised phonecalls that never happen, arranged installations and the engineer fails to show up etc. Some customers have gone through hell with ntl, yet still want to remain a customer. For instance a woman who I will not name, in a problem I had dealt with on .com, had to pay up front £125 to become a customer, ntl wanted a security deposit because she moved into a house where the previous occupants were bad payers. Weeks went by and she still had not received any notification (after paying the deposit weeks earlier) if she could become a customer or not yet she still wanted the services from ntl.
Like any company, ntl have dissatisfied customers.. maybe they have more than most, but i think there it just looks like that because the customers have a place where they can all go to rant... which is nthw!

so welcome... but don't feel you have to rant if you don't want to!!
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:08   #5
luftys
Inactive

luftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant future

Quote:
First of all

1, cost
2,cost
3 cant get sky
4,because my mum said
luftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:14   #6
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

i have been on ntl for nearly 3years now....we have found, generally, that the service is a good one, and i persuaded dad to go onto it.... i think one has problems with any of the telecommunications business'.....

saying that our BB is cac atm and we are currently waiting for an ntl techy to come round
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 14:41   #7
asdf
Inactive

asdf will become famous soon enoughasdf will become famous soon enoughasdf will become famous soon enough

There are also lots of very satisfied customers.

Remember this site represents a very small minority of ntl, a minority that is largely disatisfied with their services. Most people that are satisfied wouldn't visit this site.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 14:44   #8
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf

Remember this site represents a very small minority of ntl, a minority that is largely disatisfied with their services. Most people that are satisfied wouldn't visit this site.
i beg to differ, not everyone on here is disatisfied, i am satified with my service, this site is about more than just whinging about ntl.....if one does have a problem with something, computer related in anyway this site is here to get information and advice
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 14:45   #9
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Have I missed something?
Firstly, in no way am I putting myself forward as a defender of ntl! Howevever, lets take the statement "if there is so much customer dissatisfaction." Is there? Has anyone any reliable figures for the percentage of dissatisfied customers? People only start complaining when they get bad service. If you look at the number of people who complain on this and related sites (and I have been one of those complainers in the past), I doubt if it exceeds a few dozen. And this is out of how many million ntl customers? So, over to anyone who can provide a few reliable figures.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 14:49   #10
Sociable
Inactive

Sociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf

And don't forget the ones like myself that are reasonably happy with the service but think things could be better and also want to simply help those who are not getting such a good service back on track. It's not all about moaning it's also about trying to make things better for fellow users now and for the future.
Old 03-01-2004, 14:59   #11
Sociable
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
I doubt if it exceeds a few dozen. And this is out of how many million ntl customers? So, over to anyone who can provide a few reliable figures.
I think the queues for Customer Service give a fair indication that the numbers over time having problems may be significant. In addition the long standing issues over things like e-mail have had an impact of pretty well every NTL customer.

It is also sadly a British trait to often put up with bad service so not all unhappy customers will actively seek change. The few who end up here are also usually those that have tried the normal route but have not found a solution so that probably explains the more angry nature of many posts.

That said, one thing that was very true of both .com and now here is that between us we have been able to find solutions for people that have actually retained customers for NTL

Long may that continue!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 15:10   #12
grum1978
Inactive

grum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to grum1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable
I think the queues for Customer Service give a fair indication that the numbers over time having problems may be significant. In addition the long standing issues over things like e-mail have had an impact of pretty well every NTL customer.

It is also sadly a British trait to often put up with bad service so not all unhappy customers will actively seek change. The few who end up here are also usually those that have tried the normal route but have not found a solution so that probaly explains the more angry nature of many posts.

That said, one thing that was very true of both .com and now here is that between us we have been able to find solutions for people that have actually retained customers for NTL

Long may that continue!!!
Reasons why ppl call customer services...

1) to make a Credit card payment
2) To add channels onto their package or take channels off their pacakge
3) To have their bills expalined to them if they are unsure abt any items on them.
4) To complain abt the service i.e fault
5) other complaints ie ongoing issues.
6) Other

So its not safe to say that just because the wait can be long that all the wait is caused by bad experiences. A lot of calls are related to the first 3 things above so to use long queues as an arugement abt dis-satifaction is navie IMO
grum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 15:16   #13
Sociable
Inactive

Fair point Grum but the queue for tech support excludes the first three items. I do appreciate the distinction you make though which is of course true.

The general point I was making was that it is not only those that find their way here that have problems so the reverse arguement that all the rest that don't come here are perfectly happy is equally untrue.
Old 03-01-2004, 15:19   #14
grum1978
Inactive

grum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to grum1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable
Fair point Grum but the queue for tech support excludes the first three items. I do appreciate the distinction you make though which is of course true.

The general point I was making was that it is not only those that find their way here that have problems so the reverse arguement that all the rest that don't come here are perfectly happy is equally untrue.
Argeed abt tech support as i don't have any knowledge at answering calls fro them I can't really comment but they will still get calls that are just abt customer education rather than a fault though.
grum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 15:23   #15
Sociable
Inactive

LOL Again true.

The fun bit is that the education sometimes works both ways, but that's another story.