Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | scanners - the radio sort

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

scanners - the radio sort

Old 15-12-2003, 21:21   #1
peachey
Permanently Banned

peachey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question scanners - the radio sort

anybody know anything about scanners?

eg - what can you listen to

and what is the score with breaking the law etc?
peachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2003, 21:54   #2
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Re: scanners - the radio sort

You can listen to loads of stuff.

taxis, airplanes, personal radios etc.

Have a search around for scanner frequency listsing that show the bands & what they are allocated to.

Forget about listening to the police etc.
They all changed to encrypted radios a while ago.

as for the law, its an ass, you are not supposed to listen to anything that your not permitted to (like the police). But it never usually stops anyone.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2003, 21:57   #3
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
You can listen to loads of stuff.

taxis, airplanes, personal radios etc.

Have a search around for scanner frequency listsing that show the bands & what they are allocated to.

as for the law, its an ass, you are not supposed to listen to anything that your not permitted to (like the police). But it never usually stops anyone.

what about mobile calls - how encrypted are they?
Old 15-12-2003, 22:04   #4
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey
what about mobile calls - how encrypted are they?
Mobile use very high frequency waves - practically microwaves, if a scanner could get to that high a frequency - I think they are encrypted anyway.

Most phones these days are digital meaning you would need a kind of modem to listen in.
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2003, 22:34   #5
darant
Inactive

darant is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to have a scanner that scanned from 25mhz to 1300mhz. Mobile phones were about 800mhz (anologue) Digital ones are on a complete different wave length.

http://www.dragoninfomart.fsnet.co.uk/hamscan.htm

Good reference site....
darant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2003, 23:02   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I believe Digital phones are on 900Mhz (BT, Vodaphone) or 1800Mhz (Orange, One to One) - but as the signals are digitally encoded you can't listen to them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2003, 23:06   #7
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
I believe Digital phones are on 900Mhz (BT, Vodaphone) or 1800Mhz (Orange, One to One) - but as the signals are digitally encoded you can't listen to them.

ok - thanks for all the help

by way of curiosity - if I made a mobile call to a friend

how secure is that?

can anyone listen in - if so how?
Old 15-12-2003, 23:40   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

how secure is that?

On analogue - totally insecure.

On digital - very secure - you need some serious stuff to tap into and decode it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2003, 00:57   #9
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

how secure is that?

If your talking about matters of national security then don't forget yours or your friend phone could be tapped or your house could be bugged but if your just talking about what to get your mum for Christmas I don't think you have too much to worry about
Old 16-12-2003, 08:15   #10
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

I've got a scanner, also several trancievers that have "wideband recieve" on them. I mostly use them to listen to Amateur Radio(which my transcievers are designed for anyway), and the airband.

When I go the airshows i would say 4 out of every 5 people has a scanner on them, and the military/civilian police never say a word.

However, this is the exception to the rule, the law states as Zoombini said that "it is a offence to recieve anything not intended for general reception", so basically you are legally allowed to listen to Amateur Radio, CB, and Broadcast Radio.

On the security side of things, if a radio user want their transmissions to be secure nowadays they use some kind of digital encryption or frequency hoping, this makes it very hard if not impossible for the conversation to be over heard. Systems that use encryption include digital mobile phones andsome fire fire brigades, ambulance and police forces(TETRA).

Jon
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2003, 08:42   #11
Enterian
Inactive

Enterian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
<SNIP>

<SNIP>
Not round here they haven't - my scanner picks them up a treat!
Enterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 17:46   #12
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I know this a bump and a half but thought it was easier than starting a new thread.

Can anyone help me set my scanner up. I used to have a manual easy to use thing and now this one is asking whether to choose band plan A or B.
I'm also trying to put in my airport frequencies and cant hear anything.
Anyone know anything?

Thanks for your help.

I'm using a Uniden EZI33XLT

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 17:51   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

A or B will probably just be search bands...

As for airport frequencies how far away is the airport and what's the terrain like between you and them.. Also which airport is it and what freqs do you have?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 17:55   #14
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

I used to use plan b but it was full of some guy rapping!!!

I've got a different uniden that I've not used for a long time but with an external aerial I had much more success
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:09   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Doing a quick search the bands are to do with limits and channel steps, looks like you want band b though the channel steps should be programmable after that, for airband though the channel steps are the same in either band
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote