Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone got major slowdown with newshosting?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Anyone got major slowdown with newshosting?

Old 27-08-2006, 20:17   #1
scoobydoo[uk]
Inactive

Services: Virgin Tivo Premeire collection 152mb broadband
scoobydoo[uk] is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone got major slowdown with newshosting?

With my 10mb connection I can normally connect to newshostings news servers on ports 9000 and 119 at a steady 1.1mb but today its been 300k and below, anyone else having problems?.
scoobydoo[uk] is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2006, 20:29   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Anyone got major slowdown with newshosting?

Speeds ok here on port 9000, im getting 10mbit but i use 15 connections(bots).
Old 27-08-2006, 20:57   #3
scoobydoo[uk]
Inactive

Must be a problem with stoke on trent or something, even opening more bots im still only getting 400k max....

Normal web downloads are also slow, max again is about 400k

Will try again tomorrow and hopefully its fixed.
Old 28-08-2006, 13:44   #4
andip1967
Inactive

andip1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been getting similar results, got 10mb connection, using ports 8000 and 9000 still getting slow speeds. Its been like this for about 2 weeks, I am getting fed up with it. Lets hope they get back to normal soon.
andip1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2006, 16:33   #5
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

Scooby, I have been having crap newshosting connection in Newcastle under Lyme over the last week - usually at peak time
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2006, 19:44   #6
scoobydoo[uk]
Inactive

Yeah, theres a defo problem.Tried off peak this morning and got full speed, tried again now at 7.45pm and only getting 200k per second, this has only just started happening..

Web downloads are also very slow, as are speed tests, my 10mb line is running at around 2mb from 5pm onwards..

Just tried the giganews test site and its reporting my connection speed as 1mb!. great when im paying for a 10mb service. Hopefully the network re-shuffle tomorrow morning/night will sort things out.
Old 01-09-2006, 21:38   #7
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Speeds ok here on port 9000, im getting 10mbit but i use 15 connections(bots).
normally you are limited to 8 connections with newshosting
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:31   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
normally you are limited to 8 connections with newshosting
That's why i said (bots). I use Newsleecher which splits the file i'm downloading into 15 parts thus maxing out my connection.

[edit]

Just tested and getting top speed with currently no issues. I'm in Cambridge.
Old 02-09-2006, 13:10   #9
damienjw
Inactive

damienjw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo[uk] View Post
Yeah, theres a defo problem.Tried off peak this morning and got full speed, tried again now at 7.45pm and only getting 200k per second, this has only just started happening..

Web downloads are also very slow, as are speed tests, my 10mb line is running at around 2mb from 5pm onwards..

Just tried the giganews test site and its reporting my connection speed as 1mb!. great when im paying for a 10mb service. Hopefully the network re-shuffle tomorrow morning/night will sort things out.
Have just had an NTL 'engineer' out to have a look and swap the modem, signal info seems to have improved, however he told me that VOD started in this area on Weds, which is when the slowdown kicked in for me... P2P, web browsing, getting about 0.5-1Mb speeds... on a 10Mb connection. NTL strikes again eh?
damienjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 18:31   #10
scoobydoo[uk]
Inactive

Yeah, ive been having all my problems since VOD kicked in.

Just down a speed check and im getting 200k/sec !!!!!!!!!!! on my 10mb line, shocking... its either vod or traffic shaping, as i only get it after 5pm.
Old 03-09-2006, 23:38   #11
Richy99
Inactive

Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
That's why i said (bots). I use Newsleecher which splits the file i'm downloading into 15 parts thus maxing out my connection.

[edit]

Just tested and getting top speed with currently no issues. I'm in Cambridge.
and that is a connection

each bot as you call it is a connection to the server
Old 03-09-2006, 23:52   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
and that is a connection

each bot as you call it is a connection to the server

Well if thats the case then i can technically log in to newshosting 99 times although i'm not, i'm only logged in once, with 15 bots. It's all confusing because Newshosting only allows a maximum of 8 connections, so i wouldn't be able to connect with 99? but i can using 99(bots) and 1 real connection to download 1 file split 99 times.
Old 04-09-2006, 00:43   #13
Richy99
Inactive

the way usenet works is that the multipart file is split into chunks, which would be seen as [1/47] next to the filefor example, each connection to the server would then download 1 chunk per connection, for some reason newshosting do not really monitor the connections

gignanews allow 10 connections and they enforce that strictly, useing giganews i cannot go above 10 as it gives 502 authentication errors, which is too many connections, and i have known many before even when they only allowed 4 conections that were using 10+
Old 05-09-2006, 19:27   #14
matrix3412
Inactive

matrix3412 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 10mb is currently downloading no higher than 200k/sec and averaging at around 150k/sec with newshosting.

Its stupid because my upload rate is actually faster now than my download rate

Stupid NTL... very poor service
matrix3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 19:30   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix3412 View Post
My 10mb is currently downloading no higher than 200k/sec and averaging at around 150k/sec with newshosting.

Its stupid because my upload rate is actually faster now than my download rate

Stupid NTL... very poor service
Try using port 9000 if you're not already and increase your connections.