Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linux GNOME help!!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linux GNOME help!!!!

Old 29-06-2003, 12:09   #1
The_real_dj
Inactive

Services: 40 MB Sky BB with telephone and skyHD for TV :)
The_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really nice
Linux GNOME help!!!!

Ive currently got SuSE 8.0 installed on my machine and have managed to get the system up and workin! (compleate linux newbie). I want to install the latest version of GNOME but havnt a clue where to begin!!. I have looked on the web and the page about GNOME 2.2 lists 100's of packages.

If anyone could give me an easy step by step guide i would be really greatful!!!

Cheers

Dave J
The_real_dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2003, 14:52   #2
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Don't you have a GUI already with Suse?
I would have thought you'd already have Gnome or at least, KDE.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2003, 15:07   #3
Maelstrom
Inactive

Maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point
It's been a while since I used Suse, but doesn't the YAST system allow you to update packages? However, I'm not sure how well 8.0 would support Gnome 2.2. If you've got a fast internet connection you can always ftp upgrade to Suse 8.2, which is apparently considerably better and includes Gnome2.2 amongst its' many window manager/desktop combinations. The Suse website is a bit impenetratable, but all the info is buried there somewhere
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2003, 00:20   #4
The_real_dj
Inactive

Services: 40 MB Sky BB with telephone and skyHD for TV :)
The_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really niceThe_real_dj is just really nice
yep got KDE but ive seen the new gnome and it looks good!! :P :P

Think i will have a look into upgrading to 8.2!!!

(will have to be carefull i dont go over my 1Gig Limit!! )

Cheers all

DJ
The_real_dj is offline   Reply With Quote