Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Milk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Milk

Old 20-07-2006, 16:40   #1
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all
Milk

I feel like having a good rant so here goes.

I am fed up buying milk that seems to go off 10 minutes after its been opened. And have you noticed how milk now comes with a use by date 10 days hence. Since when has milk been able to last that long. No wonder it goes off quickly if its been sat on the shop shelf for a week.

I bought a litre today with a use by date of 26/07/06. Had me Frosties this morning and put the carton in the fridge. Have now just gone to make a cup of coffee and there's little bits of white lump floating all over the top. Smelt the bottle - yeooowwww.

The temperature in the fridge is OK and nothing else goes off as quickly as that.

Its the semi-skimmed stuff and the cartons have a "Dairy Farmers of Britain" trade name.

Here endeth the rant.
murfitUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-07-2006, 16:45   #2
rswilson
Inactive

rswilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Milk

Hi,

I am so glad that you have posted about this. I too, am finding the same, though it is with skimmed milk. I buy two cartons and when I open the second one ( after three days) it has gone off. As with yourself, it is only the skimmed milk that goes, everything else is ok ( eg the standard milk).

This never used to happen, i.e. it is certainly only in the last 6 months.

regards

Rob
rswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 16:46   #3
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Don't buy cartons, they don't reseal...

Buy plastic bottles, my milk regularly lasts up to or beyond its sell by date! In fact I had some cornflakes last night with milk from a bottle that 'expired' on Monday...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 16:49   #4
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfitUK
I feel like having a good rant so here goes.

I am fed up buying milk that seems to go off 10 minutes after its been opened. And have you noticed how milk now comes with a use by date 10 days hence. Since when has milk been able to last that long. No wonder it goes off quickly if its been sat on the shop shelf for a week.

I bought a litre today with a use by date of 26/07/06. Had me Frosties this morning and put the carton in the fridge. Have now just gone to make a cup of coffee and there's little bits of white lump floating all over the top. Smelt the bottle - yeooowwww.

The temperature in the fridge is OK and nothing else goes off as quickly as that.

Its the semi-skimmed stuff and the cartons have a "Dairy Farmers of Britain" trade name.

Here endeth the rant.
Point of order, but Dairy Farmers of Britain isn't a tradename - it's the collective term for a huge number of dairys that can supply all over the place. Actually, I'd be interested to hear where you bought it from, as you often find that the seller isn't storing the product properly

Having said that, I'm with Cobbydaler on this one - I always but the plastic bottles, purely because you can reseal them.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 16:49   #5
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

I've never experienced this. I had milk this morning that expired yesterday and it was fine.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 16:51   #6
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
I've never experienced this. I had milk this morning that expired yesterday and it was fine.
As it stands, I personally don't eat / drink anything that's out of date, but milk should be fine (short term) it it's resealed and stored correctly from distributor to consumer
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 16:54   #7
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
As it stands, I personally don't eat / drink anything that's out of date, but milk should be fine (short term) it it's resealed and stored correctly from distributor to consumer
It smelt alright thats usually my test.

What about bread? I usually toast bread thats well past its date as long as its not blue moulded.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 16:59   #8
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

We found that the stuff from newsagents was crap and went off straight away and was twice the price of a 4l from iceland that more than copes with an office week of brews and cereal.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 17:02   #9
smicer07
Inactive

smicer07 has reached the bronze age
smicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via AIM to smicer07 Send a message via MSN to smicer07 Send a message via Yahoo to smicer07

The stuff I get from the local Co-op is crap, it never lasts until the end date.
smicer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 17:02   #10
murfitUK
cf.addict

murfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to allmurfitUK is a name known to all

Sorry - I did mean bottles, the plastic ones. Its funny but I don't think of them as bottles because in my mind a bottle is round and plastic milk bottles aren't round, they're oblong or is it rectangular?

And its not just the odd one that goes off quickly, it seems to be about half the ones I buy.

I buy from the corner shop. And sometimes the 24-hour garage across the road which closes at 10pm but that's another story.
murfitUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 17:04   #11
Pug205Tim
Inactive

Pug205Tim is on a distinguished roadPug205Tim is on a distinguished road

co-op ahaha say no more! Buy your milk from a DECENT supermarket, get mine from sainsburys and it never goes off, small places like co-op, newsagents etc don't store them correctly, hence why its going off quick.
Pug205Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 17:09   #12
NitroNutter
Inactive

Services: You cannot afford me!!!
NitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation era

A while ago sent a mate to the corner shop for some milk, he come back with a bottle of cheese. We used to have a milkman deliver but he got sacked cuz he was constantly not delivering and while we were paying daily for 4 pints we were allways getting 2l's only except the odd occasion. Blue top allways lasts from tescos, the green top has a sneaky way of going of indiscreetly cause its not real milk.
NitroNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 18:10   #13
Enuff

Milk doesn't last too long in this house, we must go through about 18 pints of semi-skimmed a week, so havn't experienced any going off for years. Bread, on the other hand, seems to start moving before we've opened it!
Old 20-07-2006, 18:23   #14
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

I buy 6pints from Asda of semi skinned and one week later as long as I always put in the fridge it is fine.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 18:50   #15
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Milk is for baby cows......and even they stop drinking it after a point. imo it's sh*t that we aren't meant to consume. We don't really need it and it's importance has been overstated for decades by parties with vested interests in it's continuing mass consumption.
...................but I am a little biased