Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | prescription drugs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

prescription drugs

Old 08-12-2003, 16:20   #1
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
prescription drugs

an executive allen moses at galaxosmithkline has stated that 90% of drugs available on prescription only work in 30-50% of people

He said: "Drugs on the market work, but they don't work in everybody."

Mr Roses, an expert in genetics, said new developments should help tailor drugs more specifically.

At present, pharmaceutical companies adopt a "one-drug-fits-all" policy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3299945.stm

now it does not come as a great shock to anyone that the drugs dont work in everyone but atleast there is an admitance to this but one fear i do have is if these so called customized drugs are made will the cost to the NHS be greatly increased ?
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2003, 16:41   #2
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: prescription drugs

30-50% is a terrible effectiveness rate! Especially when you consider the risk of side effects.
Old 08-12-2003, 16:43   #3
kronas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
30-50% is a terrible effectiveness rate! Especially when you consider the risk of side effects.

especially if some of those side affects do affect your over all mental health dizzy spells nausea bleeding
Old 08-12-2003, 16:51   #4
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Yup! Really cr*p.
...and I really hate the way that the big pharamceutical companies can have the medics in their pockets.
Old 08-12-2003, 16:53   #5
kronas
Inactive

Quote:
Yup! Really cr*p.
...and I really hate the way that the big pharamceutical companies can have the medics in their pockets.
remember its about profits these days
Old 08-12-2003, 16:54   #6
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas
remember its about profits these days
Always was
Old 08-12-2003, 16:57   #7
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

If you look further into it, it's a case of drug A works with 30% of the population, drug B works with another 30% just as well, drug C works with another 30% just as well and so on.

So pretty much everyone is covered. Nothing to worry about. Just another media created health scare.

The reason for the low levels is because everyone is different (bit obvious really) and until they get personalised drugs there will always be this situation.

Also people really really need to discuss any side effects they may be suffering with their doctors as another medicine might be more suitable.
Unfortunately people keep quiet and either put up with a treatment which isn't as effective as it should be, or just don't take the medicine.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 16:57   #8
kronas
Inactive

Quote:
Always was

true but they had to make the innovations as well
Old 08-12-2003, 18:50   #9
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Biggest problem is the body will become immune to specific drugs (and the smaller ingrediants that make them up). Or at least that's what my Quack told me when I informed him I've been taking Nurofen twice a day for 10 months cos of headaches!!! (Headaches now gone, was a trapped nerve in spine!)
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 18:54   #10
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
Also people really really need to discuss any side effects they may be suffering with their doctors as another medicine might be more suitable.
In my experience the GP just 's
Old 08-12-2003, 19:22   #11
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
In my experience the GP just 's
Well my sexy doctor was interested to hear what side effects I'm suffering from
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote