Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Annoying Prank Calls from Withheld Number

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Annoying Prank Calls from Withheld Number

Old 08-07-2006, 21:02   #1
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star
Annoying Prank Calls from Withheld Number

Hiya all

Been getting a few prank calls from people who either hang up or talk nonsense down the phone, I have no idea from and I am wondering what NTL charge for putting the withheld number call baring on my number?
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2006, 21:33   #2
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Annoying Prank Calls from Withheld Number

no... tell them to put annonymous call barring on ur phone... its free.....!
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 21:44   #3
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Saw this... shame you're not with BT
Quote:
If you receive a malicious call and would like advice, call BT on Freefone 0800 666 700. A 24-hour recorded message will tell you how to deal with the situation and what to do if you need more help.

BT has ten Malicious Calls Bureaux across the country offering help, advice and guidance for people who are victims of malicious or nuisance calls. If calls persist, you can get in touch with the Malicious Call Bureaux on Freefone 0800 661 441 and BT will offer advice on action to take, particular to your situation.

If you subscribe to NTL or Telewest and you recieve malicious calls, be sure to contact your customer services number or visit your phone provider's website for any advice.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 23:12   #4
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
no... tell them to put annonymous call barring on ur phone... its free.....!
fyi it's already available on most lines already, you don't need to tell anyone, asking is much nicer !!!!

different codes dependant on where you are to enable it.....
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 00:08   #5
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

I am in Rochdale.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:53   #6
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
Not much of a shame really...

Ntl also have a recorded nuisance calls advice line- 0800 052 1370

If you want to speak to a person about it call customer service and they will explain the options to you.

I believe in summary they are- block anonymous calls or change your number.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:16   #7
AndrewJ
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
Quote:

If you want to speak to a person about it call customer service and they will explain the options to you.

Thank you for the number Chris shall give them a ring after Breakfast long day ahead today.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:38   #8
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I use *65 to turn on ACR (Anonymous Caller Reject) and #65 to turn it off.
It's a free service with NTL (unlike BT who charge for the service).
It's also useful to stop getting calls from the office where they call from a direct dial number as the calls are generally with no number....
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:41   #9
AndrewJ
Inactive

I heard the hash code is area related though.

Could a NTL official please PM me with the hash code for Rochdale.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:45   #10
sarahlouise45
Inactive

Services: TV, BB + Phone
sarahlouise45 is a splendid one to beholdsarahlouise45 is a splendid one to beholdsarahlouise45 is a splendid one to beholdsarahlouise45 is a splendid one to beholdsarahlouise45 is a splendid one to beholdsarahlouise45 is a splendid one to beholdsarahlouise45 is a splendid one to beholdsarahlouise45 is a splendid one to beholdsarahlouise45 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to sarahlouise45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs
I use *65 to turn on ACR (Anonymous Caller Reject) and #65 to turn it off.
It's a free service with NTL (unlike BT who charge for the service).
It's also useful to stop getting calls from the office where they call from a direct dial number as the calls are generally with no number....

When you key in '*65' is it supposed to say anything? Only when I just did it it didn't, don't they normally tell you what you've just added to your phone etc???

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo
I heard the hash code is area related though.

Could a NTL official please PM me with the hash code for Rochdale.

If that's the case - can someone PM me with the free annonymous call barr code for Swansea please???
sarahlouise45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 20:18   #11
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
Quote:

But do they have 10 centres dedicated to dealing with people who receive nuisance calls? That was what I was impressed with, not the hotline.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 20:21   #12
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

I get them a LOT on my mobile, it doesn't bother me too much though cos it must mean they are secretly obsessed with me..

If it was on my house phone though it would pee me of no end, so i'd deffo get the caller reject thingy, my mam has it, and it's a bit of a pain when i ring her from work because i have to remember to dial 1470 first
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 20:26   #13
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Andrew,
Dial *227# to enable
Dial #227# to disable
Dial *#227# to check the status
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 21:47   #14
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

If you go to http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/tariff.asp
and enter your postcode, it will show you the entries applicable for your own area. NTL are quirky and have different codes in different exchanges.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 21:51   #15
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs
If you go to http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/tariff.asp
and enter your postcode, it will show you the entries applicable for your own area. NTL are quirky and have different codes in different exchanges.
Not quirky as such, it's the result of different companies using different systems being bought by ntl hence the different codes. One day it may be that everyone can use the same but can't see that being anytime soon....
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote