Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is this because of NTL's Closed Ports?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is this because of NTL's Closed Ports?

Old 02-12-2003, 00:33   #1
gary_580

Is this because of NTL's Closed Ports?

I keep getting this error. I assume its because NTL have closed some ports???

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xx.xxx.xx.xx'
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2003, 00:43   #2
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W
Re: Is this because of NTL's Closed Ports?

Sounds like it.

ntl decided to close quite a few ports, one of which is the default MySQL server.

You'll eed to get in touch with whoever manages the server to see if they can let you use a different port.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 00:45   #3
gary_580

thats ridiculous!! i pay NTL for INTERNET access and then they decide what i can do with it. I've had enough of this and rebooting my STB every day.
Old 02-12-2003, 00:46   #4
Sociable
Inactive

Sociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation era

Yes I think so Gary

Can't remeber the specific port concerened but sure I saw somewhere the ports used by that were on the list of ports being blocked.
Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 00:53   #5
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable
Yes I think so Gary

Can't remeber the specific port concerened but sure I saw somewhere the ports used by that were on the list of ports being blocked.
1433 i think
Old 02-12-2003, 01:05   #6
gary_580

is there anyway to get around it?
Old 02-12-2003, 01:12   #7
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable
Yes I think so Gary

From the info below does this mean i cant use this?

Ports 1433 (TCP), 1434 (UDP) Blocking these ports is likely to prevent the use of MS SQL Server and on occasion disrupt normal connections. This disruption is because these ports are above 1024. Ports above 1024 are used occasionally for 'temporary' communications e.g. the fetching of web pages. This is not a common practice, but it is worth noting that blocking these 2 ports may cause the (very) occasional "page not found" error due to port blocking. In these cases, if a customer tries to load the page again, or visit another site, the connection will work as normal.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:48   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580

Assuming you actually mean MySQL then no, this uses port 3306. The replies so far seem to be confusing this with Microsoft SQL (MS SQL) which runs on port 1433.

Also NTL only seem to be blocking incoming connections to 1433 so if you were trying to connect from your PC to a MS SQL database somewhere else it should still work.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 15:25   #9
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580

If this is connecting from the net - to your Machine on NTL's network, then this could be the case (although as already pointed out the ports were MS Sql rather than MySql....

If this is connecting within your own home network, then this should be irrelevant, as it should be if your SQL server is outside of NTLs network (I think that's right )
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2003, 10:40   #10
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W
Sounds like it.

ntl decided to close quite a few ports, one of which is the default MySQL server.

You'll eed to get in touch with whoever manages the server to see if they can let you use a different port.
I thought that affected MSSQL server not MySQL server.
poolking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2003, 11:05   #11
Defiant

If this problem was because of a port ntl closed then it would affect other people too yes
Old 13-12-2003, 23:29   #12
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

I don't recall ntl blocking the mySQL port, which as pem says is 3306. The problem is more likely the mySQL username you are connecting with is not allowed to connect from that IP address. [Most ISPs allow mySQL connections from their machines only].

It is bad security to allow database connections from anywhere.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote