Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Strange one, this (need help please)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Strange one, this (need help please)

Old 27-11-2003, 23:45   #1
Brigham
Inactive

Brigham is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange one, this (need help please)

I have a second cable entry point at my house after returning my extra box after the extortionate increase in the cost of the extra box. I now use te aerial socket on my TV to get the analogue signal for the BBC1,2 ITV and C4 channels. The question I have is ' does NTL broadcast the freeview channels down the pipe?'

What I'm getting at is this; would I be able to use a Freeview box to access those channels and get the benefit of a better picture on my 46" rear projection telly?

My house doesn't have a TV aerial, by the way.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2003, 00:06   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Strange one, this (need help please)

I stand to be corrected but think it incredibly unlikely (in other words no).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 00:28   #3
Pointman
Inactive

Pointman is on a distinguished roadPointman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
I stand to be corrected but think it incredibly unlikely (in other words no).

Ditto
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 01:19   #4
Pritch
Inactive

Pritch is just really nicePritch is just really nicePritch is just really nicePritch is just really nicePritch is just really nicePritch is just really nice

As I understand it, the free channels broadcast are basically 1-5, and that's about it. A Freeview box wouldn't be able to pick up a digital signal.
Pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 01:28   #5
purenuman
Inactive

Services: SKY+ & NTL 2mb
purenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these parts

A new aerial is less than the price of a freeview box so why scrimp?
If you're going to buy a freeview box get a decent aerial fitted as well.
It's a one off payment.
purenuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 09:33   #6
mixteus
Inactive

mixteus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham
I have a second cable entry point at my house after returning my extra box after the extortionate increase in the cost of the extra box. I now use te aerial socket on my TV to get the analogue signal for the BBC1,2 ITV and C4 channels. The question I have is ' does NTL broadcast the freeview channels down the pipe?'

What I'm getting at is this; would I be able to use a Freeview box to access those channels and get the benefit of a better picture on my 46" rear projection telly?

My house doesn't have a TV aerial, by the way.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Free to air channels are available across all digital platforms(NTL,Sky,Freeview)

To receive NTL service in another room you need to hook up to RF/UHF out on NTL box, Then tune TV in other room to that signal.

For Freeview servive first check you can receive service in your area here

http://www.freeview.co.uk/

If you can receive service, you will then need to install an aerial that is capable of receiving the signal.
mixteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2003, 10:58   #7
Proppinupthebar

Its a definite no, there's no freeview sent out on ntl's paid for network, there's no money to be earnt from ntl doing it.
Old 29-11-2003, 13:33   #8
albone
Inactive

albone is an unknown quantity at this point

yep that's a definate no! as I have both! NTL do have a freeview page on there but it is not active. The best way to get the free view is via a decent aerial and the digi box, which is coming down in price all the time. I have the pace one which is realy tiny and sits on the top of the TV. But there are some swish ones around. So look carefully and see which suites your needs.
albone is offline   Reply With Quote