Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | connection monitor software

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

connection monitor software

Old 27-11-2003, 10:26   #1
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of
Angry connection monitor software

ok I am fed up with NTL's crappy connection. can anybody recommend
any free software to monitor and log the state of my internet connection.
I don't need speed test stuff, what I think I want is something that constantly
runs pings or trace routes and logs the results. I want to see how often my
connection goes dead, any suggestions please.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2003, 10:39   #2
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: connection monitor software

I would recommend mrtg - you can get it from this site it allows you to do a number of checks - and is totally free.

Let me know if you want a config file - I can get one from my setup that does pretty much what you want to do..

I use it to check signal strength and ping at the same time. That way I can rule out the CM if needs e

HTH
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 10:42   #3
MetaWraith
Inactive

MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via ICQ to MetaWraith Send a message via AIM to MetaWraith Send a message via MSN to MetaWraith Send a message via Yahoo to MetaWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor

Have you tried http://www.mfcsnet.com/mfcstcpstat.htm
at $7.95 it ain't free, but its pretty damn good inmy opinion.

The best freeware prog that i know of that will do what you want is probably
http://www.gammadyne.com/conkeep.htm

Hope those help.
MetaWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 10:59   #4
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

Quote:
Why do you want to constantly run these ???
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 11:41   #5
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Why do you want to constantly run these ???
Because I am *issed off with the quality of my ntl line and I want some way to
log performance and reliability (or lack of) my NTL unlimited, always on broadband connection. it wasn't until I had broadband that I realised ntl were in the humor business
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 11:44   #6
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Quote:
log performance and reliability (or lack of) my NTL unlimited, always on broadband connection. it wasn't until I had broadband that I realised ntl were in the humor business

mrtg can be set to run the checks at regular intervals (I don't know the other product, but assume it can also be set this way)..

you don't ant to run them constantly as they will crunch your processor, disk and connection - all that pinging and logging...
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 11:46   #7
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
If you're that pi$$ed off with your connection, why don't you vote with your feet & get ADSL from an all round better provider, with an all round better network, & generally all round better service?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 12:02   #8
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

Quote:
As zovat says ... MRTG is widely used and respected for it's stats.

It runs every 5 mins and will track the availability of you connection, but generally works better over time .... one onther thing is that it requires ActivePerl to be installed too.

If you do decide to use it, I also can help with the script that will need to be run.

Though am still unsure how it will work with a DHCP ip address.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 23:58   #9
carlingman
Inactive

carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal
carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
ROFLMAO - nice one see Neils reply below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
If you're that pi$$ed off with your connection, why don't you vote with your feet & get ADSL from an all round better provider, with an all round better network, & generally all round better service?
My what a change of attitude, nice to see your not on the payroll of NTL anymore.

Have to agree though as Pipex customer for a longtime myself.

Pipex rocks so trebor vote with your feet and away from NTL.

carlingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 10:49   #10
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try a program called ip sentry. I am not sure on the cost as we use it at work but its very powerfull and will monitor pretty well anything. Services, pings, web servers and mail servers. You can get it at www.ipsentry.com

HTH
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote