Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IP Address Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

IP Address Question

Old 20-02-2006, 15:22   #1
medw1974
Inactive

medw1974 is on a distinguished roadmedw1974 is on a distinguished road
IP Address Question

One for the techies out there,

How many people share the same ip address - the reason I ask is that I was just browsing the who's online section on my vbulletin powered forum and noticed that a new member has the exact same IP as my self (62.252.xxx.xx).

It is totally identical right down to the final .xx - is this normal and just a coincedence that someone geographically very close to me has joined or is it something to be wary of?

Thanks in advance.
medw1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2006, 15:28   #2
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable
Re: IP Address Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by medw1974
One for the techies out there,

How many people share the same ip address - the reason I ask is that I was just browsing the who's online section on my vbulletin powered forum and noticed that a new member has the exact same IP as my self (62.252.xxx.xx).

It is totally identical right down to the final .xx - is this normal and just a coincedence that someone geographically very close to me has joined or is it something to be wary of?
Any number of people could share the same IP address - if they're coming through a proxy, then as far as you're concerned they're all the same IP address.

For example, NTL operate loads of proxies, meaning that it is all but impossible to tell Internet users apart by IP address.
Old 20-02-2006, 15:32   #3
medw1974
Inactive

Thanks - I wondered if it may be something like that as the IP in question resolves as leed-cache-9.server.ntli.net.

That does surprise me though as I thought everyone had unique IP's just so they could be traced.

You learn something new everyday.
Old 20-02-2006, 15:35   #4
homealone

I wouldn't be surprised if that is a proxy server IP

- ah beaten to it, but Paul M posted a piece of code that can be added to a vBulletin installation to 'drill down' to the actual IP, a while ago. if I remember I'll have a look when I get home.
Old 20-02-2006, 15:38   #5
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
Thanks - I wondered if it may be something like that as the IP in question resolves as leed-cache-9.server.ntli.net.
Looks like a NTL customer.
Quote:
That does surprise me though as I thought everyone had unique IP's just so they could be traced.
No - but you do have a unique WAN address.
Quote:
You learn something new everyday.
Like the fact you're probably from Leeds or thereabouts
Old 20-02-2006, 15:38   #6
medw1974
Inactive

Thanks homealone - that would be very useful.

Another question that springs to mind is that I run google adsense on my forum, if this user clicks on an ad are google going to think it's me clicking my own ads?
Old 20-02-2006, 15:40   #7
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:

Another question that springs to mind is that I run google adsense on my forum, if this user clicks on an ad are google going to think it's me clicking my own ads?
No, because that's all done through cookies, which tie back to your computer.
Old 20-02-2006, 15:46   #8
medw1974
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
No, because that's all done through cookies, which tie back to your computer.
Ah, that should be Ok then, I've just emailed google anyway to see what there take on it is.

Thanks for your advice
Old 20-02-2006, 16:44   #9
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

If you go to www.abyssunderground.co.uk/ip it shows you your real IP and your proxy IP if you are behind one.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 19:04   #10
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
if I remember I'll have a look when I get home.
please yes, i run vbulletin and frequently ban members, be useful to ban the specific ip and not just a proxy address.
nemesis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 19:13   #11
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis01
Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
if I remember I'll have a look when I get home.
please yes, i run vbulletin and frequently ban members, be useful to ban the specific ip and not just a proxy address.
ok, I found it - but bear in mind this is Paul M's work, so please comply with his request for feedback (or even beer money )

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...adid=95198#top

Old 20-02-2006, 19:54   #12
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Actually, and sadly, google do not capture IP's correctly, and you may see a number of ntl proxy servers in the log. To prove a point try posting in Google News, your IP address will be ntl's local proxy or the one you have specified in your browser. They may have updated their caching script though, so I may not be 100% correct.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 12:33   #13
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

The "Connection" tab at the top of this page shows both your true IP and your proxies IP.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote