Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why have you got THAT mobile phone?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Why have you got THAT mobile phone?
View Poll Results: Most important feature other than phone/manufacturer
Music/MP3/Radio 12 27.91%
Camera 21 48.84%
Connectivity (e.g. Bluetooth) 19 44.19%
Other (please explain in post) 13 30.23%
Motorola 7 16.28%
Nokia 10 23.26%
Samsung 6 13.95%
Sony Ericsson 9 20.93%
NEC 0 0%
Other (please specify in post) 4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2006, 14:57   #1
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable
Why have you got THAT mobile phone?

NB in the poll, select one or more of the features and ONLY ONE manufacturer.

My first one was a Phillips C12 - great big clunky thing that was nothing more than a phone - and not a very good one. Had it for a few years.

Then I got the chance to 'upgrade', so I picked the Nokia 3310 - nice, solid phone, with no unneccessary features. Had this for several years, but finally decided I wanted something new - I was changing from PAYG to contract anyway, so a nice new phone was on the cards.

First I considered a Motorola ROKR - but since the music player function is not that important to me, I looked at the rest of it and decided that maybe it wasn't for me. Nor was the Motorola L7, after I read some reviews. The same fate befell a Nokia that was being offered with Bluetooth GPS - which I would have liked, but again that phone fell down in the reviews.

So, after a bit of looking around I finally went for a Sony Ericsson K750i - it is a nice phone, that works well and is easy to use and good sound. The latter will probably also benefit the music player and built in radio, but I haven't tried those yet. But the 2Mp camera is not an afterthought as with so many phones. It has a sliding cover to protect the lens. Once you open it, the whole device becomes a camera. It even has the shutter button in the right place, zoom and autofocus. The supplied Memory Stick Duo is only 64Mb, so a larger one is on order, but as a base package it's not bad.

With so many to choose from, it is difficult to find the phone with the right features - particularly as some manufacturers are turning out bad product too. (Even the ones I would previously have thought of more highly!)
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2006, 15:01   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Whay have you got THAT mobile phone?

I have always been with Orange, and my first two phones were from the days they insisted on renaming them from the manufacturer's designation. So I had a 'Nokia Orange' followed by a Nokia 'nk702'.

I had a Nokia with a slide-down cover next but I can't remember the name of it. Now I have a Siemens S55 and I want my Nokia back, but it's a work-supplied phone so I'm stuck.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 15:10   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Why have you got THAT mobile phone?

I have a Sagem MYX-2.
It's not got a camera, it doesnt play mp3's, and it's not the latest model, but it let's me phone, has built in speaker phone so I dont have to put it to my ear, and does the main things I need it to do....phone and text.

For my music, I have my Ipod. For photography I have my Nikon Digital Camera. I just needed a phone that is a tool to phone and communicate by text, I didnt need any other features so for £25, it suits me fine.

Edit: I'm on Virgin mobile Pay As you Go.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 15:14   #4
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I've got the K700i from Orange (now on easy mobile ) and I'm in the the middle of a row with Orange to get it fixed (well I want a refund now after my
experience
with the store manager when I tried to get it fixed, but that's another story).

Don't think I;d buy another Sony as this phone has broken in just 8 months.

Am looking at either the Samsung E720 or D500 as a replacement only because I need a triband phone that'll work on Easymobile.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 15:20   #5
zing_deleted

you missed off making calls on your list of uses

samsung d500 making calls and text messages and 1.3 meg camera
Old 03-02-2006, 15:23   #6
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
you missed off making calls on your list of uses
Nope the poll asks for "Most important feature other than phone", since calls/texts are a rather funamental feature of ALL mobile phones!
Old 03-02-2006, 15:26   #7
zing_deleted

I apoligise

Actually I dont because it doesnt "Most important feature other than phone/manufacturer"
I think that some people will own a fone just to make calls so it would be a valid choice for those only wanting to make calls and send texts.Your poll excludes such people
Old 03-02-2006, 15:29   #8
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

I wanted a phone with a camera purely because there are sometimes occasions that you want a picture of something, but you don't have a camera with you.

I got the Motorola V220, and upgraded to the V3 a couple of months ago (got a very good deal from Virgin!).

Phone cameras are ace - how else would I have proof that there's a shop in Bridlington called 'Fudgetastic'
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 15:31   #9
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
I wanted a phone with a camera purely because there are sometimes occasions that you want a picture of something, but you don't have a camera with you.

I got the Motorola V220, and upgraded to the V3 a couple of months ago (got a very good deal from Virgin!).

Phone cameras are ace - how else would I have proof that there's a shop in Bridlington called 'Fudgetastic'
Would have been funnier if it was in Brighton
Old 03-02-2006, 15:32   #10
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Dunno - there's not that much to do in Bridlington
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 15:36   #11
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
I apoligise

Actually I dont because it doesnt "Most important feature other than phone/manufacturer"
I think that some people will own a fone just to make calls so it would be a valid choice for those only wanting to make calls and send texts.Your poll excludes such people
Exactly, my most important feature other than phone is: none. My nokia 3310 does all I require from a phone (except, perhaps work in the US)
Old 03-02-2006, 15:49   #12
Enuff

The 2 phones I narrowed it down to were the the sony ericsson the k750 and the w800i.. both phones look good, I think the black k750
looks sexy, but in the end went for the w800i purely for the extra memory, 512mb included as to 64mb with the k750. oh and the added bonus with both these phones are you can use any standard 3.5 jack headphones through the adaptor thats included. and you can use the memory stick pro with your PSP.

I've had the w800i for around 4 month now and have took a few pictures indoor and outdoor which are available to look at on my site. not bad images for a phone.
Old 03-02-2006, 16:17   #13
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Why did I get that phone?

My Nokia 3650 was a prize in Nokiagame.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 17:36   #14
bb31
Inactive

bb31 has reached the bronze age
bb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to bb31

Why did i get my phone - Nokia 6230

Cos my friend had one and i wanted it!! Seemed to have everything i required, alas, the camera let me down. Roll on june when the contract is up.
bb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 19:49   #15
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Any franchising possibilities ??
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote