Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telephone SPAM !!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telephone SPAM !!!

Old 02-02-2006, 07:40   #1
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone and 50Mb BB , Tivo \m/
Bluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the rough
Telephone SPAM !!!

Hi

We have had Ntl for over a year now and the phone service has been great and no problems at all ....until now we are now bombarded with people calling us and trying to sell us ...CRAP like new windows, new mobile phones , in the past two weeks we have had about 20 calls on this type of junk and its now beyond a joke , the last one was last night at about 5pm the asian guy said he was calling from LONDON ( why from there i don't know ) and he was trying to sell me a new mobile phone i told him i was not interested at all and put the phone down like i do , last sunday morning at about 9am i had another saying my post code had been picked and before i let her carry on i told her i don't want any of her crap and put the phone down ( not nice i know But)

So that is just a taste of whats been happening and is there anything i can do about it ?? as its really %$^&$£% %% me off as it seems my phone number is passed around various company's and they just want to sell me crap , i would rather go out and look for things to buy than people ringing me

Cheers

A n t h o n y
Bluffdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2006, 07:47   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Telephone SPAM !!!

Get yourself on this list
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
to start with. It will take 28 days to become fully active but if anyone rings you up just tell them you are on the TPS list and that this is an unsolicited call. Soon shuts them up.
ALso don't blame NTL for all of this, unfortunately companys will often use telephone directory software/ databases that show ex-directory numbers etc and they don't care who they call. Also be very careful if you hand over personal details on websites, always look into their privacy policy and make sure that if a box is there that stops your details being passed on to 3rd partys that you use it.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:55   #3
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Bluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Many thanks for your info looks like a great idea !! also i was not really blaming ntl i was just stating that the service from them had been great until now as i did not have any idea on how people like that get hold of my number and maybe ntl had a procedure to deal with this

Cheers

A n t h o n y
Old 02-02-2006, 08:13   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Unfortunately there are companies out there that go through electoral rolls, telephone directories etc and create CD/DVDs that contain all the telephone and contact details for everyone in the country more or less Most call centers will respect the TPS system but there are many that ignore it or use the old "market research not sale" BS to get around it.
Nice isn't it
One thing I will say though is to be careful on all sites as to what info you give and if there is a tick box to stop your details being passed on then use it. Your personal data is yours to protect and if you aren't careful you will end up with it sprayed everywhere
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:41   #5
ginnie
Inactive

ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I have registered too
ginnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:48   #6
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Te TPS doesn't gaurantee anything - I signed up in august and 20 minutes ago I had a call from some Indian guys from London Mobiles trying to flog me a phone.

Yes, I'm reporting them.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03   #7
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough

Don't think TPS can control callers from overseas, despite I am registered with TPS a few years ago, I had calls from Ireland, Spain, and India. On the TPS site, there is also a number which you can ring to prevent silent calls, don't know whether it is any good, I registered today.
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:04   #8
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Te TPS doesn't gaurantee anything - I signed up in august and 20 minutes ago I had a call from some Indian guys from London Mobiles trying to flog me a phone.

Yes, I'm reporting them.
Well, if you will insist on leaving your number in all of those phone boxes, this sort of thing was bound to happen eventually
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:22   #9
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Ah shurrup.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55   #10
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Ah shurrup.
I'm just saying - cause and effect, and all that
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 14:03   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Do what we do, say 'Not interested' then hang up.
Old 02-02-2006, 14:11   #12
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
Do what we do, say 'Not interested' then hang up.
I disagree - just waste their time.

Listen to their whole sales pitch, feign interest at all times then when they ask for your name just tell them you're not interested and just wanted to waste their time.

It annoys them no end!

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 02-02-2006, 14:28   #13
Mails Crushed
Permanently Banned

Mails Crushed is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Listen to their whole sales pitch, feign interest at all times then when they ask for your name just tell them you're not interested and just wanted to waste their time.

It annoys them no end!
I told them "Good timing I want to buy 2 new phones, hold on a sec to get my Credit Card ..." they held for 40 minutes...I nevers spoke to them again
Mails Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 17:15   #14
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Quote:

It annoys them no end!

Great idea must try that next time !!! they need to be taught a lesson lol

Anthony
Old 02-02-2006, 17:48   #15
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

I like listening to sales calls, then I cut them off
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote