Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SuftBoard models and 10Mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SuftBoard models and 10Mb

Old 01-02-2006, 13:20   #1
po8crg
Inactive

Services: Blueyonder 4Mb, Sky+
po8crg is an unknown quantity at this point
SuftBoard models and 10Mb

Am I right in remembering that some models of the SurfBoard modems don't support 10Mb? I have got a 3100 - SB3100-3.3.0-SCM00-NOSHELL is the software version - I seem to remember that that model doesn't support 10Mbps connections.

I'm currently on 4MBps. If I phone up and ask to be upgraded to 10MBps, will they provide me with a shiny new modem automatically, or will I need to ask for one?
po8crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2006, 13:22   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: SuftBoard models and 10Mb

Is it an NTL provided modem or one you purchased many moons ago? If it's NTL supplied you may have to wait for a new one and in the mean time only get partial speeds. If it is one you purchased then ring up and ask for the modem as you are now paying for it's supply.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 13:25   #3
po8crg
Inactive

Services: Blueyonder 4Mb, Sky+
po8crg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: SurfBoard models and 10Mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Is it an NTL provided modem or one you purchased many moons ago? If it's NTL supplied you may have to wait for a new one and in the mean time only get partial speeds. If it is one you purchased then ring up and ask for the modem as you are now paying for it's supply.
Um, it's a Telewest/Blueyonder provided modem. I was planning to say I'd stay at 4MB (and therefore not give them the extra £10 a month) until they agreed to give me the new modem, which should work quite well as an incentive. I was just trying to get my facts straight on whether I actually need to replace a 3100?
po8crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 16:00   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

My bad From reading around it seems that BY are saying yes but most customers are saying no. It looks like a problem with the Duplex settings as some customers are only getting 5Mb.
I would call BY and tell them you would only consider changing to 10Mb if they supply a new modem first. Other than that keep reading round and see if anything changes.
this made interesting reading, it seems the 3100 can get up to 6Mb and thats it.
Could also look closer to home for the info lol
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=38516
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 15:25   #5
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

The sb4100 can handle 10Mb just fine.

If you've got the 3100 just ring CS, or post in the BY newsgroup that you want a modem swap.

Make it clear you want one of the motorolla ones though, the webstar modems are pants

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote