Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL Query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Query

Old 31-01-2006, 14:46   #1
polybear
Inactive

polybear is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL Query

I'm about to dump NTL and go back to a BT phoneline for phone & internet. I've heard that I can connect my tv straight into the wall socket using an f-type adaptor and by-pass the analogue decoder. Apparently you can still get the standard BBC/ITV channels by doing this. Can anyone confirm this please?
Thanks.
Polybear.
polybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2006, 14:51   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NTL Query

This may work, or it may not. Most areas do carry an unencrypted analogue service for channels 1-5. That relies on ntl not disconnecting the cable to your house at the street cabinet (which they are entitled to do). Thus don't complain if or when ntl cut the cable off.

You need to ensure any cable you do connect does not cause interference or feedback into the ntl network. I've seen posts elsewehre on this board that it's arguable whether it is in fact beneificial or detrimental for a TV to be connected if the cable is not live, since each cable should ideally be properly terminated. Leaving the cable connected but unterminated (without the TV), can thus be a problem in it's own right.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 15:06   #3
polybear
Inactive

Thanks Rob. One thought - when I cancel my NTL account (we only have it for phone & basic tv) will i still get basisc tv through the STB or can NTL disable it remotely? Or will a man with a van come to get the box back? It's over 10 years old and analogue, so not much use to anyone. I wanted to stay with NTL but they wouldn't give me a sensible deal for Broadband.
Polybear.
Old 31-01-2006, 15:08   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Theoretically ntl will collect the STB. In practice, who knows, there have been lots of posts where people have said the thing is left gathering dust in a cupboard somewhere. Certainly any encrypted channels will go.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 15:27   #5
polybear
Inactive

Thanks again Rob. I'll let you know how I get on.
Polybear.