Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What do you like in Pubs?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What do you like in Pubs?
View Poll Results: What do you like in your pub?
Music (DJ, Live or Jukebox) 12 40.00%
Dance floor 1 3.33%
Games (Pool, Darts etc) 14 46.67%
Gaming machines (Fruit Machines, Video Games, Quiz machines etc) 8 26.67%
TV (for Sports etc) 6 20.00%
None of the above. 7 23.33%
Depends on what mood I am in. 8 26.67%
Friendly bar staff 15 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-01-2006, 22:53   #1
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
What do you like in Pubs?

Based upon this thread, what facilities do you like in Pubs? Music? Dancing? Games (Pool, Darts, video games or fruitmachines)? TV?

Or do you prefer a quiet pub you can just sit in and talk.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2006, 22:56   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: What do you like in Pubs?

Depends what mood I'm in. If I want to watch a football game then obviously it'll need to have a tv. If I want a good laugh with some mates then music is a neccessity.

But if I just want to be on my own to read a book or something then peace and quiet is a must.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 22:59   #3
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Have put a poll in now..

Anyway, I am actually the same as you. Sometimes I like a pub with music, sometimes I don't.
Old 29-01-2006, 23:02   #4
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I prefer music playing in the background when in the pub but it depends on what type of pub it is.
Old 29-01-2006, 23:04   #5
Macca371

Loud music (not live) and dancefloor
Old 29-01-2006, 23:05   #6
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I tend to prefer quiet pubs, but a bit of quiet music in the background doesn't do any harm, so long as you can talk over it without shouting.

What I really like in pubs above everything else are nice comfy chairs, and a good menu. Nice carpet and wallpaper are bonuses.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 23:09   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If pubs have music it should be quite background music, so that you can talk to the people you are with.

If you want loud music and a dancefloor go to a disco.

I would likw a quite pub with no smoking and cheap booze, and busty good looking barmaids, wearing skimpy clothes (off for a cold Bath)
Old 29-01-2006, 23:11   #8
Macca371

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
If you want loud music and a dancefloor go to a disco.
None are open in the day
Old 29-01-2006, 23:12   #9
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

When going for the footie, then obviously the telly. I don't mind background music, as long as it's just that background music. I like to have a conversation in the pub (live music is an exception though). Decent food is a plus, as is a landlord who cares about the beer. Oh, and I like a quiz...
Old 29-01-2006, 23:12   #10
Macca371

I suppose it does depend on my mood actually. I like coming to the pub when I have a free period at college and having a chat with friends.
Old 29-01-2006, 23:16   #11
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Coming back through town every Friday I see the city pubs filling up and hear the dodgy vocals of someone attempting their kareoke version of Celine Dion. I can't stand pubs like this.
Maybe once for a laugh with some friends but not to have a drink and catch up with people.

I dont like the dance pubs either. IMO you cant really dance in a pub. Bottles end up all over the place, there are drunks coming and going. Not really my thing. For dancing, I'd rather go to a proper club where all people want to do is dance, not get drunk and attempt to dance.

I like small country pubs. The pubs that when you enter you can say Hi to other people and actually be heard. A pub where there is a good selection of pub meals...and I mean not meals that come straight out the microwave, a good selection of food, as you catch up with your friends and family, next to an open fire.

I dont tend to go into many pubs as I dont like the smoke from people smoking, but from time to time I'l go out for a pub meal.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 23:21   #12
Stuart
-

I just added an extra option: Friendly bar staff.

I personally find that a pub can have the best facilities in the area, but if the bar staff aren't friendly, I won't go back there.

One pub I went to, just over the road from what must be my favourite pub, was quiet, has nice beer and nice seating. Sadly, because the Barmaid was not only not friendly, she was downright rude, I won't be going back there.

In a way, I should be thankful, as that's what made me go to what is now my favourite pub.
Old 29-01-2006, 23:24   #13
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Most people so far don't seem to care about the attitude of the staff (silly me missed Stuarts post )

Pubs which are good places for TV IMHO are "estate" type pubs with large rooms.

I am lucky with 5 very different pubs all within staggering distance.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 23:26   #14
Stuart
-

In fairness, I only added that option a couple of minutes ago..
Old 29-01-2006, 23:28   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I don't mind music as long as it's not too loud.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote