Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 10MB help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

10MB help

Old 23-01-2006, 19:36   #1
Geordie502
Inactive

Geordie502 is an unknown quantity at this point
10MB help

Hi People

This is my first post to the Forum and well I was hoping somone could help with the below

The speed of my cable is 10MB or is it????

I am useing the NTL 200 modem and this is connected through a router(Linksys Wireless-G with SRX) I belive this to be one of the new routers.

I have reloaded Windows Xp Pro (format) and installed all updates.

I have used a lot of speed programs and I am getting just over 400K is this the correct speed for 10MB connection as the reports of the speed test say this is rather slow for the information you give.

I even went to update the Video Card drive 30meg and this was downloading at 200k is this normal for the 10MB connection. I have been intouch with NTL and they checked the line and everything is ok. I have asked what speed I should be getting and they said around 800K - 1000k (is this true)

If possible could someone help with the above and advise me on the correct speed I should be reciving from NTL or if there is any problems with the connection to my modem they are not telling me.

I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum

Hope the above helps

Thanks
Geordie
Geordie502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2006, 19:46   #2
IanUK
Inactive

IanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really niceIanUK is just really nice
Re: 10MB help

Hi Geordie502 and welcome.

800 to 1000k is possible from UK & Euro sites in a single stream, but not generally from USA sites, I get between 400-700k in a single stream from most large USA sites, and can get 1200 from UK sites.

Of course using a download manager and opening several streams can help enormously.

Try the 50megfile from here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testmyspeed/ and see what you get.

cheers

Ian
IanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 22:40   #3
Geordie502
Inactive

Geordie502 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the update

I have just used 50mb Test and the speed was just over 700k, so dose this mean eveything is ok or is there still a problem. Is there programs you can use to speed things up more???

Regards

Geordie
Geordie502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 22:53   #4
Enuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie502
Thanks for the update

I have just used 50mb Test and the speed was just over 700k, so dose this mean eveything is ok or is there still a problem. Is there programs you can use to speed things up more???

Regards

Geordie
By my calculations 700Kbps is around 5.6Mb you could try a few other tests maybe some of the ones below might help you get a better idea of your speed...

speed test 1

speed test 2

speed test 3

speed test 4

speed test 5

BTW welcome to CF m8