Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | anti americanism fashionable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

anti americanism fashionable

Old 13-11-2003, 03:35   #1
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
anti americanism fashionable

jack straw has crticised the protesting which is likely insue on to the streets of london when bush arrives as a guest of the queen as 'fashionable'

http://rdu.news14.com/content/top_st...asp?ArID=38776

maybe if bush was not after oil and invading countries which dont fit in to his vision there would not be such a fuss like father like son
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-11-2003, 07:56   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: anti americanism fashionable

I certainly don't see anti-americanism as fashionable. I think most people (myself included) are just a little weary of the seemingly prevailant attitude 'across the pond' that everything about the US is superior to the rest of the world. From reading various discussion groups it's as if the american way of life is the planetary standard and other customs and ideas are just "strange", "wierd" "different" without realising that they are just one (albeit very large) country amongst countless others.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 08:54   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Someone is always protesting about something - and as always, there will be the young (and not so young) braindead element there whose only purpose is to cause as much trouble as they can (not even really caring what the actual reason for the protest is).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 09:45   #4
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
I certainly don't see anti-americanism as fashionable. I think most people (myself included) are just a little weary of the seemingly prevailant attitude 'across the pond' that everything about the US is superior to the rest of the world. From reading various discussion groups it's as if the american way of life is the planetary standard and other customs and ideas are just "strange", "wierd" "different" without realising that they are just one (albeit very large) country amongst countless others.
I quite like America (the country) and generally the American people. The problem is they are extremely insular for the most part.

I don't know the exact figure, but I understand about 90% of Americans do not possess a Passport (i.e. they have never travelled outside of the US) !!

Also when you watch their multitudiness TV news channels, you rarely if ever see any items regarding issues relating to foreign (to them) countries.

They simply are not exposed to foreign cultures and attitudes and probably think the rest of the world thinks exactly as they do.

They are fed an almost non stop diet of how great America is and are extremely patriotic.
basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 10:47   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

basa: all true.

I personally have no problem with America, or Americans (some of the nicest people I know are American).

Americans do,however, seem to have this attitude that they are right and the whole rest of the world is wrong (and inferior) though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 17:12   #6
philip.j.fry
Inactive

philip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
philip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze age

It's not so much anti-americanism, it's more anti-american foreign policy. As Russ said, in general the US gives the impression that there is only one way of life and have difficulties comprehending that there isn't. I don't think it's 'fashionable' I think it's more that recent events are making people more aware of the world outside the country and people are seeing things that they don't like.

Comments like this from Jack Straw et al I think are just them trying to dissuade protestors from causing embarressment to them next week.
philip.j.fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 17:26   #7
Jerrek
Inactive

Jerrek can only hope to improve

I don't know the exact figure, but I understand about 90% of Americans do not possess a Passport (i.e. they have never travelled outside of the US) !!
You don't need a passport to travel to Canada. To make the conclusion you're making is just wrong.

Also remember that England is tiny compared to the United States. We can travel all over North America and only visit two countries, but those include 50 states, and 15+ provinces and territories. It isn't like Europe where if you miss the toilet you **** in another country's backyard.

Think of our independent states as independent countries.

Also when you watch their multitudiness TV news channels, you rarely if ever see any items regarding issues relating to foreign (to them) countries.
It doesn't interest us.

They are fed an almost non stop diet of how great America is and are extremely patriotic.
And that is bad how exactly?
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 17:27   #8
Defiant

I'm anti-anti-american protesters lol. I've seen them in the streets protesting and on telly. 90% jobless layabout's.

Get a job
Old 13-11-2003, 17:29   #9
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Also remember that England is tiny compared to the United States
Is that England or the UK?

Quote:
And that is bad how exactly?

You answered that question when you said...

Quote:
It doesn't interest us.
Which IMO smacks of arrogance.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-11-2003, 17:58   #10
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Jerrek you have to say UK or Britain otherwise the 'lesser countries' (kidding Russ ) like Wales, Scotland and N Ireland feel left out. It's like people using America when they mean the USA.
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 18:08   #11
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1
It's like people using America when they mean the USA.
Or like people claiming that certain Scandinavian countries are part of the UK

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-11-2003, 18:11   #12
Jerrek
Inactive

Same bloody thing. :p

Yes it does. And that is wrong how exactly?

Here is a small test of ignorance. Multiple choice. Don't google! Type your answers in notepad and then reply. Don't look at other's posts before you reply. Be honest.

1) What is the capital of Canada?
a. Montreal
b. Toronto
c. Ottawa
d. Vancouver

2) What is the mountain range that lies parallel to the east cost of the United States?
a. Rockies
b. Mojave
c. Ural
d. Appalacians
e. Pyrinees
f. Pennsylvania Range

3) Which state is the largest of the following?
a. Kansas
b. Nebraska
c. New York
d. Texas

4) Who was Canada's first Prime Minister?

5) Who is Canada's current Prime Minister?

The fact of the matter is, I don't know everything, and I certainly don't expect anyone to do so. What it basically comes down to is that, "Americans are ignorant because they don't pay enough attention to us."

It's like people using America when they mean the USA.
That does annoy me, but I guess what I said must be annoying too. Heh. My apologies.
Old 13-11-2003, 18:14   #13
Jerrek
Inactive

Actually, that test was biased. What is the capital of Tajikisan? Who is the ruler of Bolivia? What are the major exports of Micronesia?

If you can't answer those questions, you're obviously ignorant. In my book though, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't expect the rest of the world to be able to rattle of all 43 presidents of the United States, all 50 states with their capitals, and know all of the governors, senators, and Congressmen in the United States.
Old 13-11-2003, 18:18   #14
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes it does. And that is wrong how exactly?
You've pretty much summed my point up there.

You make some good points there about other countries.

One final question - why is it when the US is planning to bomb the crap out of some country or there appears to be some anti-american feeling in some other land, your President has to go on TV and show 99% of your countrymen where it is?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-11-2003, 18:21   #15
Jerrek
Inactive

Doubtful.

I have got a question for you though. On an unlabelled map, can you point out Sierra Leone? Samoa? Uzbekistan?