Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tyger tyger burning bright

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tyger tyger burning bright

Old 12-11-2003, 18:53   #1
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age
Tyger tyger burning bright

It was reported on the TV news tonight that some woman in New Jersey is in trouble for keeping 24 tigers in her back garden (OK, it was a largish back garden). Then there was that case recently where a tiger was found being kept in an apartment in an American city. Apparently, keeping big cats is quite common in America and, in some states, this is legal; you can buy them over the Internet.

What is the matter with some Americans? Are they brain damaged or are they just born stupid beyond belief? If I was feeling charitable, I might put it down to there being more Americans than British, but I think its more than that. It's probably some sort of obscure cultural thing.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2003, 21:49   #2
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Re: Tyger tyger burning bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
It was reported on the TV news tonight that some woman in New Jersey is in trouble for keeping 24 tigers in her back garden (OK, it was a largish back garden). Then there was that case recently where a tiger was found being kept in an apartment in an American city. Apparently, keeping big cats is quite common in America and, in some states, this is legal; you can buy them over the Internet.

What is the matter with some Americans? Are they brain damaged or are they just born stupid beyond belief? If I was feeling charitable, I might put it down to there being more Americans than British, but I think its more than that. It's probably some sort of obscure cultural thing.
You forget that America is 'the land of the free' and law-abiding people are allowed to do whatever the Constitution permits them to do.

The rest of the people just do what they want..whether it makes sense or not!!
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 22:16   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Well, I think I ought to jump to America's defence seeing as Jerrek's not around just now ... I really think this is just a cultural difference. We tend to assume we know what America is all about because we see so much of it on TV and in films, and we think we ought to understand them because they speak the same language as us. But they are a foreign country, so we can't expect to understand all their habits.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 22:19   #4
peachey
Permanently Banned

peachey is an unknown quantity at this point

fair enough

but remember that America consists of lots and lots of other places than just the USA
peachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 22:46   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by towny
Well, I think I ought to jump to America's defence seeing as Jerrek's not around just now ... I really think this is just a cultural difference. We tend to assume we know what America is all about because we see so much of it on TV and in films, and we think we ought to understand them because they speak the same language as us. But they are a foreign country, so we can't expect to understand all their habits.
one, admittedly, unsubstantiated, statistic was there are more tigers kept as pets in the US than survive in the wild?
Old 12-11-2003, 22:56   #6
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
one, admittedly, unsubstantiated, statistic was there are more tigers kept as pets in the US than survive in the wild?
That's probably true about panthers and pumas in the UK released onto the moors after they became too much of a handful for their owners. The Beast of Bodmin is probably the most well known example but nobody seems bothered about tracking them down.
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote