Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One for the Washing Machine Experts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

One for the Washing Machine Experts!

Old 19-01-2006, 11:10   #1
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
One for the Washing Machine Experts!

I know there are a couple of oracles of information on this subject, hopefully one can point me in the right direction. We have a Miele washing machine, but in the last couple of months it's not been taking the fabric conditioner from the drawer.

We've cleaned it all out, taken the drawer out and flushed some water down it, but 9 times out of 10 still the softener is still there at the end of the cycle.

It takes the soap perfectly.

Any clues? Anything I should be looking for or trying?

Help is of course gratefully appreciated!
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2006, 11:19   #2
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age
Re: One for the Washing Machine Experts!

When the machine is on open the drawer slightly and have a look to see if water is flushing that part of the drawer.

Could be a blockage ...
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 11:26   #3
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

It could be a faulty soleniod valve, or a bad connection on the soleniod,pcb or timer.
Or simply bunged up

Edit>If this was a vote i would go for electrical
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 11:37   #4
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
I know there are a couple of oracles of information on this subject, hopefully one can point me in the right direction. We have a Miele washing machine, but in the last couple of months it's not been taking the fabric conditioner from the drawer.

We've cleaned it all out, taken the drawer out and flushed some water down it, but 9 times out of 10 still the softener is still there at the end of the cycle.

Keep an eye out for bra wires! I have fixed machines on about half a dozen occasions and this has been the culprit. Normally they work their way through the drum holes and cause problems like that
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 11:39   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver_problems
Keep an eye out for bra wires! I have fixed machines on about half a dozen occasions and this has been the culprit. Normally they work their way through the drum holes and cause problems like that
Are the washing machine owners surprised when you pull underwiring out of the works? I'd have thought it pretty difficult not to notice if your bra was suddenly only wired on one side. In fact I'd have thought everyone would notice ...

Is that my coat ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 11:50   #6
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Are the washing machine owners surprised when you pull underwiring out of the works? I'd have thought it pretty difficult not to notice if your bra was suddenly only wired on one side. In fact I'd have thought everyone would notice ...

Is that my coat ...
if you have quite a few people putting in lots of stuff in a communal wash it is quite common I think.
Old 19-01-2006, 11:51   #7
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
...Is that my coat ...
no it's your bra!
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 13:08   #8
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

For the op - Its more than likely going to be the cold valve. If you look in the machine (unplugged of course) then you'll see it in the machine where the water comes in. It has 2-3 (sometines more) cylinders on it one of these will be for the conditioner. It's a change of the whole thing but they may be available in a pattern part from you local parts wholesaler.

If you cannot find one I'll put you in touch with a spares place.

ps I've pulled more underwires out of washing machines than I care to mention.

hm
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 17:16   #9
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif

Take the draw out then poke a metal wire up the hole where the fabric conditioner goes, we had the same problem the other week, you'll find out that the hole at the back of the draw will be blocked so no condtionner will be getting to your wash.
Old 19-01-2006, 17:46   #10
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge
poke a metal wire up the hole where the fabric conditioner goes
do you think a bra wire would be suitable?
Old 19-01-2006, 19:13   #11
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

I've often found it useful to top up the fabric conditioner drawer with water: they often work on a siphon principle (like a toilet flush) and, if the water that comes in is not enough to start the siphon, nothing goes. Topping it up with water ensures that only a little more is necessary to start the siphon action.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 19:50   #12
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
For the op - Its more than likely going to be the cold valve. If you look in the machine (unplugged of course) then you'll see it in the machine where the water comes in. It has 2-3 (sometines more) cylinders on it one of these will be for the conditioner. It's a change of the whole thing but they may be available in a pattern part from you local parts wholesaler.

If you cannot find one I'll put you in touch with a spares place.

Thank you sir! I'm not much one for opening kit up...so it might be a call to Miele coming on.

Quote:

hm
What you do in your spare is none of my business
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 19:53   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

hm
What you get up to in your spare time is your business ... but I don't think that's a very nice way to talk about your girlfriend(s).

Sorry, I was leaving wasn't I ....
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 23:22   #14
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

First thing to make sure of is that the conditioner you are using is not to thick, Comfort is a very thick liquid and I always used to water it down before use. opening the drawer slightly is not always a good guide, you would have to be certain you where on the very last rinse and you may move the drawer under the rinse jet rather than the fabric conditioner. To dispense the fabric conditioner, some machines use double cold valves, some a diverter linked to the timer, a certain AEG model has a very expensive electronically controlled diverter on the top of the dispenser. After you have done the obvious, cleaned the drawer and rinse aid compartment thoroughly, and made sure the rinse aid is not to thick, you can do one last test before it is time to call the professionals. Make sure the rinse aid compartment is bone dry, crumble a small amount of digestive biscuit into it( but no conditioner)and after the wash has finished check the contents. If the biscuit is dry, your machine is faulty, if it is soaking wet, your conditioner is to thick or your drawer needs cleaning.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 23:25   #15
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Do you leave the biscuit there for the engineer to finish off??
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote