Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Asthma - how to get rid of it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Asthma - how to get rid of it?

Old 11-01-2006, 16:38   #1
liamboyle06
Inactive

Services: 3 Mobile Sky+ HD NWE 2MB Wireless Broadband XBOX 360 PS3 Wii
liamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to liamboyle06
Asthma - how to get rid of it?

howdy all
I have Asthma now for 15 years, but last year between March and September, i never had to use my Inhaler.
When I went to the doctor, in August for a check up, he said I must have grown out of it , but in September, i caught the flu and ever since, the Asthma has been worse than ever, taking many puffs a day - Doctor says I am doing fine and prescribe the same inhalers as previously, but now whenever I play any sports, it kills me first before I come right.
i was just wondering if anyone else has had any thing similar, or could suggest something to try and curb the Asthma.
liamboyle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2006, 16:42   #2
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Re: Asthma - how to get rid of it?

The simple anser is that you can't 'get rid of it' - technically, I'm asthmatic, but haven't used an inhaler in years

The best thing to do is to continue with your medication - if, as a result of the flu, your peak flow is lower, and your bronchial tubes are narrower than they were, then the preventative inhaler should help 're-open' them.

Chances are that you'll probably 'grow out of it' again, but it'll always be possible to have 'relapses' at a later date.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 16:43   #3
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamboyle06
When I went to the doctor, in August for a check up, he said I must have grown out of it
This is true, it does happen. My daughter was asthmatic as a small child, but hasn't needed an inhaler for several years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamboyle06
i was just wondering if anyone else has had any thing similar, or could suggest something to try and curb the Asthma.
There was a recent article about Salt Mines in Ukraine. Check it out - maybe an idea for a holiday?
Old 11-01-2006, 16:51   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I also had very bad asthma when ii was young but never had any signs it even existed now
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 17:07   #5
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

basically when you have asthma there is whats called a 'trigger' which causes your lungs to close up, you simply didnt have this trigger event for a long time but then it must have came on. You cant get rid of it as such but maybe you just need a long time without the trigger again to get back to feeling good again. Both my mum and sister have asthma.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 17:47   #6
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze age
Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Kliro

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/asthma.htm

Some shtuff there.

When I watched Jamie Olivers school dinners, the parents said their children (who previously used their inhalers daily) had stopped using them since being on the new better diet. - so maybe a change to healthier food could be an option?
Kliro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 17:55   #7
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliro
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/asthma.htm

Some shtuff there.

When I watched Jamie Olivers school dinners, the parents said their children (who previously used their inhalers daily) had stopped using them since being on the new better diet. - so maybe a change to healthier food could be an option?
Yep its true, I try to keep my kids on the Fiengold Diet it works wonders
But we do slip of quite a bit
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 19:21   #8
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Keep taking the serotide inhalers in the morning and the salbutomol when your breathing gets bad.
Old 11-01-2006, 19:27   #9
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

I am asthmatic and very active, well like to be or think I am.......

anyway, I just keep using my inhalers as and when I need them, as for the steriod one(becotide) I use when I have had a very bad cold for one month 2 weeks heavy use then I wean myself off that one, I try not to use it all the time.

I only take my ventolin when I need it. If I need it during sports I take it, I don't want it to stop me having fun and staying fit.

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:07   #10
homealone

just been reading a couple of articles about the effect of diet on asthma

- one says that fish oil can help

http://www.rssl.com/OurServices/Food...letterID=139#6

while the other talks about the effect of tomato juice on helping to prevent emphysema

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-tjk010506.php

Old 12-01-2006, 11:20   #11
liamboyle06
Inactive

Services: 3 Mobile Sky+ HD NWE 2MB Wireless Broadband XBOX 360 PS3 Wii
liamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to liamboyle06

Thanks for all the advice everyone, but I am pretty sure I have a stable diet and would classify myself as very active/fit.
Dont know about the Tomato juice though never did like it but Fish i can definately do.
liamboyle06 is offline   Reply With Quote