Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why only 512Kbps upload? Why not 1Mbps?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Why only 512Kbps upload? Why not 1Mbps?

Old 25-12-2005, 13:18   #1
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Why only 512Kbps upload? Why not 1Mbps?

I was talking to a friend the other day and he said that the NTL 10Mbps is more unreliable because of the upload speed being "not sufficient enough" for downloading at 10Mbps.

What I want to know is: is it true?

Also, why dont NTL give us 1Mbps upload? Its cable so it should be able to support a very high speed, not like ADSL.

Id kill for 1Mbps upload but why wont NTL give us it?
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-12-2005, 13:43   #2
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age
Re: Why only 512Kbps upload? Why not 1Mbps?

Not sufficient enough, that was busted long ago by the bods and by practice by...well everybody here who actually has 10mb as opposed to people who are on tiers like 2mb and claiming this.

Can't be certain but adsl is in a better position to give greater upload then the current way it is delivered over our cable.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 14:18   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground
I was talking to a friend the other day and he said that the NTL 10Mbps is more unreliable because of the upload speed being "not sufficient enough" for downloading at 10Mbps.
I think the correct reply is rubbish. Your 'friend' is sadly mis-informed, esp if your tcp is setup correctly with a larger rwin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground
Also, why dont NTL give us 1Mbps upload? Its cable so it should be able to support a very high speed, not like ADSL.

Id kill for 1Mbps upload but why wont NTL give us it?
Maybe because the equipment could not supply it to everyone ? - or perhaps you think they just want to spite everyone.

If everyone had 1mbps upload they woud simply be moaning they want 1.5 or 2mbps

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 14:36   #4
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M

If everyone had 1mbps upload they woud simply be moaning they want 1.5 or 2mbps
Indeed

No one is EVER satisfied
Old 25-12-2005, 14:40   #5
zing_deleted

Im satisfied my 10 meg is cool my 512 uploads lets to pcs play moh easy im a happy chappy
Old 25-12-2005, 14:44   #6
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
Im satisfied my 10 meg is cool my 512 uploads lets to pcs play moh easy im a happy chappy
Old 25-12-2005, 14:47   #7
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Talk about a Grinch thread,
Its christmas ...
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 14:48   #8
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky
Talk about a Grinch thread,
Its christmas ...

I am just waiting for my dinner to be ready so i am passing some time

Old 25-12-2005, 14:53   #9
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Its sad that we are here at all
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 15:38   #10
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age

Lol, Im here because Ive finished my lovely x-mas dinner. Just awaiting desert

Because I run a server, the higher the upload the better. There was a roumour before 10Mbps was released that the upload would be 1Mbps. I was really looking forward to it but then my hopes were shattered when I heard it was going to be 512Kbps.

*sighs* Maybe when/if NTL upgrade to 20Mbps they will double the upload again
Old 25-12-2005, 16:52   #11
zing_deleted

What sort of server? I hope you do not mean a net server as this would be I imagine against the T&C
Old 25-12-2005, 17:05   #12
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

I run HTTP and FTP servers, and they are not against the TOS. If it was NTL would have spoken to me in the 6 months its been online.

The link to my website below runs from this server and my connection.
Old 25-12-2005, 17:52   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
What sort of server? I hope you do not mean a net server as this would be I imagine against the T&C
He does, and it isn't.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 17:57   #14
RoNa7dO
Inactive

RoNa7dO is on a distinguished roadRoNa7dO is on a distinguished road

im really satisfied with ntl and their 10meg service despite having 512k upsream the only thing dat im not satisfied with is 75GB cap dat sux can b achieved in 15-20 days
RoNa7dO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2005, 18:02   #15
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Is there any word when 2Mbps customers will get the chance to upgrade yet?